song. from the film The Wizard of Oz

sung by Judy Garland

Often associated with each.

The song is a bittersweet longing for a better place, far from Kansas.

The irony here is that the message of the movie is the exact opposite of that.

The movie makes it clear there is no place like home.

Knowledge is good, Courage is fine, Love is wonderful, but there is no place like home, and your family.

So even though we all remember Dorothy singing the song, somewhere over the rainbow, we are asked to ignore it's intent.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!"

trivia: featured prominently in the conclusion of the film: Dr.Phibes returns


If you would like to hear a version of this song you will never, ever forget, I would suggest putting your sweaty little hands on Patti LaBelle, Live from November 10, 1992. She recorded this in New York, and I have never had a singer affect me with a song quite as much as she does on this record with her version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

The arrangement has a lot to do with it. It's that sort of bass-heavy orchestra, with pregnant pauses, that will send chills up your spine. The arrangement here was done by James R. Budd Ellison, and I'd like to shake his hand.

But it is the vocal work by Ms. LaBelle that will make you cry. Yes, even the hardest heart will find a moist spot near the corner of the eye when listening to this version of this song.

I dare you.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.