It always seems like a good idea. A constant temptation. It's calling, "Come lay on me, I'll keep you comfortable while you study." It's your evil bed.

Although you know what will happen you always end up giving in. You think, "I'll be able to read so much more in the comfort of my beautiful bed." You get off to a swell start. You read a couple pages and think "Hey, why don't I do this more often? It's so much more comfortable than those hard tables and chairs in the library."

Then the inevitable occurs. You begin rereading the same paragraph over and over, and eventually sleep becomes you. You wake up two hours later having drooled all over the GDP and unemployment on page 96. Even though you're fully refreshed from that lovely little nap you still have to read those damn 50 pages for tomorrow's lecture.

There are ways to resist this.

1. Sit up. Get a bunch of pillows or something to prop you up almost 90 degrees. Don't slouch, it's bad for your back. Helps keep you more awake. Personally, I have a pillow with armrests. Look around for one, though it's hard to describe. I believe it's called a "husband."

2. Drink something cold or hot. Something that will keep you up. A cold soft drink will be cold enough not to make you drowsy, or some really hot coffee (not necessarily decaf)

3. Caffeine is your best friend. Or sugar, though I'd recommend caffeine; it's more potent. Not too much, though, can kill some brain cells. Remember, it takes 10 minutes to penetrate your brain.

4. Sleep aids. NO, I advise against them, they might have some side effects, besides, you could still fall asleep after lying down and taking them anyway. I have a better solution:

5. Bright light. A good 60-watt light-bulb aimed at your face, though not directly in your eyes, perhaps to the side. I find it a great way to stay up, though you might get drowsy, just don't close your eyes, not even resting them, you'll always fall asleep, and not get a great sleep because the light is on.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.