That day, I was glad that my dorm room did not have any manner of scientific apparatus to remind me of the situation I was in, and that it did have my dear roommate. Sitting on my bunk, as usual. Which was fair enough, this day, because I didn’t want to cry in bed alone.

“Here,” said Ruth, plunking a box of tissues down in my lap. “Clean yourself up, and then explain to me why the hell you’re still working at the Morrow lab.”

I blew my nose. “I thought I told you a dozen times. Work-study so I can live here. Not like I can go home to my parents.”

“Rani…” 

“What?”

Ruth sighed. “Are you sure the university isn’t going to offer you the same compensation at any other work-study job?”

“I’m getting what I’m getting because it’s a dangerous job,” I said. “Like working on an oil rig. It’s about attracting someone, anyone, who’s willing to brave the task. So if there was a similar position elsewhere, it would be equally dangerous.”

“At this point,” said Ruth, “you’ve suffered a workplace injury due to the director’s flagrant negligence. The university ought to be giving you free tuition and everything without making you work at all. There’s got to be some kind of legal precedent for this. I bet I can find it in the law library.”

“You and your legal precedent,” I said. 

“Part of the job I’m signing up for,” said Ruth. “After what happened with the Hoover Dam, there’s as much of a legal mess as there is a political one. The inheritance claims alone are utterly backlogged, and there are many lawsuits to serve on behalf of those who were flagrantly wronged in the resulting chaos. Many languishing in jail for the actions they took to survive. If I want to help people with all that –”

All that?” I said. “You want to serve lawsuits, argue inheritance claims, and be a defense lawyer for the sorts of people who can’t pay you much.” 

And,” said Ruth, “I want to make it very clear to everyone who used Emergency Powers as an excuse to seize political control that they don’t get to ignore hundreds of years of legal precedent for the sake of politics.”

“Aren’t you just the most noble little legal mind ever.”

Ruth flipped her hair back. “That is the general idea.”

“Look,” I said, “if this is the kind of university that lets its science lab create a giant, nearly-uncontrollable bird, they’re not going to give a rat’s ass about my work safety. I bet Professor Windsor has gone through a dozen grad assistants by now –”

“Hang on,” said Ruth. “Giant bird?”

I described my encounter earlier that day. I expected Ruth to become apoplectic. Instead she looked as eager as the Professor. “Oh no,” I groaned. “Not you too.”

“It’s a scientific marvel,” said Ruth. “An incredible legal and insurance liability, of course, but to create a land creature of any sort that could possibly be bigger than an elephant…Professor Windsor must be doing some strange things with science indeed. Now I’m torn. I want to see this thing.”

“I’ll take some photos,” I said.

“As for your condition,” said Ruth, “assuming the lab doesn’t have an antidote, we’re going to need to ask Artemis.”

I pursed my lips, trying to keep myself from blurting out the first thing that came to mind. I am, after all, an absolute monotheist. Not even a strict monotheist, but absolute. If someone tells me there are gods running around, they’re not idolatrous, they’re just wrong. There’s only the one God, thank Heaven. So to have someone suggest that I go and visit one of the Twelve Olympians is like telling a frog that it ought to become an astronaut and visit Mars. 

“I know what you’re going to say –”

“The entire notion is decidedly unscientific,” I said. “And also completely insane.” 

“I thought you were going to go off about blasphemy again.”

I gave Ruth a look. “Do I have to?”

Ruth rolled her eyes. “You don’t need to call Artemis a god if you don’t want. You can just call her a djinn. Or an angel. Or a Great Spirit. Or a clever pretender. Whatever you wish. But if she just so happens to come down from the moon when you call, and she just so happens to be able to command all the animals of the forest –”

“Okay okay,” I said, tossing the box of tissues onto the desk. “I’ll call her a loon, then.”

“That’s the spirit! Now, we need to set up the moonlight ritual –”

“I didn’t need one last time.”

“You were being chased by a bear,” said Ruth. “Emergency circumstances.”

I held up my left wrist. “This is also an emergency.” I squawked for good measure.

“But not immediate peril,” said Ruth. “Now, we’re going to need a lamb…”





We stood in the middle of the campus forest, in a moonlight clearing. Sans lamb.

“I can’t believe you wanted to skip the ritual,” said Ruth. She crossed her arms and pouted.

“You wanted an absolute monotheist to do a pagan ritual,” I said, as I spread my prayer rug on the grass. “If I wasn’t into you I’d be super offended.”

“So what, you’re just going to…pray to a pagan god?”

“Nope,” I said. I sat upon the rug and looked up at the moon. “I bow to nobody. Alright, moony loon, get down here. I want to admit I lied to you.”

There was a sharp rustle in the bushes, startling me. A woman walked out of it – young, tall, fresh-faced, lovely of limb, clad in furs, with a bow slung across her back. “Ah,” said Artemis. “Dear girl of mine –”

Nope.”

Artemis looked puzzled. “What do you mean, ‘no’?”

“I mean that was the lie,” I said. “Not a girl after all. Terribly sorry.”

Artemis’ fair face twisted in a scowl.

“You should not have said that to her face,” said Ruth, as she stepped in front of me. “Now she’s going to turn you into a bear.”

“I’m turning into a bird already,” I said. “Maybe a bear would be an improvement.”

“True,” said Ruth. “You would be fuzzy-wuzzy. I could cuddle you all day.”

“We’d both have classes to attend, though.”

“Excuse me!” said Artemis. “Are you two cracking wise in the face of your terrible transgression? You lied to me! You’ve been a boy this whole time!”

“Whoa,” said Ruth. “I had no idea Artemis was a Radical Feminist. Yikes.”

“How marvelously convenient,” I said, “that I am not a boy either.”

Artemis had been stringing her bow, but she froze. “Eh?”

“Come on,” said Ruth. “You’ve been around long enough, Artemis. You can’t have not seen that at least once or twice.”

Artemis continued to string her bow.

“Jeez,” I said. “No mercy for the genderless either. She really is a Radical Feminist.”

Artemis stood straight and proud, holding her strung bow in hand. “I aim to punish you because you lied to me. You lied to a –”

“Do not tell me to call you a god,” I said, crossing my arms. “I will never agree to that.”

Artemis smirked. “Ah, monotheism. So straightforward, so principled, so vexing. Be that as it may, you lied to me.

“Yeah? A bear was chasing me. You want to know why I think you’re some Radical Feminist? You wouldn’t even agree to save me unless I said out loud that I was a girl. So I lied my ass off to get you to make a move.”

“I thought you were pulling my leg! I wasn’t going to help someone who was making fun of me!”

“Regardless,” I said, “I didn’t owe you honesty when I was in peril, and I feel no shame for lying.”

“You couldn’t have said anything after I got you out of there?”

“You think I was in the right frame of mind to say anything at all? At least I’m being honest now!”

Ruth cleared her throat. “Keep in mind that under the Common Law, any contract made under conditions of immediate peril is null and void. We’re not dealing with an actual contract here, but the spirit of the thing holds. I would not fault my friend for fibbing either, if you were holding terms like that over their head while they were fleeing a forest fiend.”

Artemis’ eye twitched. “I’ll drop the subject if you stop with that annoying alliteration.”

“A done deal,” said Ruth. 

“And it is true that my father has commanded my family to follow American jurisprudence in our settlement here,” said Artemis. She rolled her eyes. 

“With that aside,” said Ruth, “I have to ask – why is it that you’ve only ever appeared to Rani? I’ve heard plenty of people on campus invoke your name, I’ve done a moonlight ritual a few times –”

“Rani is the only virgin on campus,” said Artemis.

Ruth and I exchanged glances.

“So you’re some kind of Traditionalist,” said Ruth, “in addition to hating men?”

“I’m someone who swore virginity a very long time ago,” said Artemis. “I don’t like to talk to people who aren’t virgins, these days. It’s a personal thing. Which I, of course, can get away with, because I am a –”

“Blah blah blah,” I said. “Look at me, I’m lording it over everyone like an un-American jerk. Can we get back on track? I’m turning into a bird.” I squawked. “Can you change me back? We figured, you know, if you’re good at changing people into animals…”

“I am good at that,” said Artemis. “I’m not good at forgetting insults. And you’re not very good at playing nice with the people you want help from.”

“Alright alright,” I grumbled. “I’ll back off from that. Look, tell you what, if you help me I’ll do you a favor.”

“You sure you want to offer that?” muttered Ruth.

“Fair’s fair,” I said. “What do you say, hunter lady?”

Artemis peered at me. “Hmmmm. Well. The standard operating procedure in such a case is for you to become a constellation.”

“No thank you!” shouted Ruth and I in unison. 

“I could also just send you to Erebus for treating me with disrespect,” said Artemis. “But…I am trying to be less of a jerk than I have been.”

“Could have fooled me,” I muttered.

Artemis shot me a sharp glance. “In my younger days that remark would have made me turn you into a deer in the middle of hunting season. But I have grown old, and I have seen much. Slights that once seemed like the whole world now seem small. So…if you are willing to help me with a problem of mine, little fledgling, I can help you.”

“Oh boy,” I said. “Am I going on a quest? Do I have to fetch a fleece?”

“You must investigate trouble,” said Artemis. “In all the valleys of these mountains, and all across the plains, I hear strange words from the birds. They are fearful of something. Something new, something unsettling. Over and over again they give me the name – Doctor Morrow, Doctor Morrow, Doctor Morrow. Who is this Doctor Morrow? Where is he? Find him and stop him. That is what I need you to do.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Did you miss the name written over the door of the ornithology lab?”

“Not all,” said Artemis. “Why exactly do you think I am speaking to you in spite of your disrespect and your staunch monotheism? I came to you because you, little fledgling, have access to this lab, where I cannot enter through closed doors and closed blinds. And Doctor Morrow has hurt you. You have access and motivation. You’re a perfect assistant.”

“Oh yeah?” I said. “Sounds like I’m negotiating from a position of strength here.”

“Not really,” said Artemis. “If I didn’t have you to be my perfect little detective on the inside, I would just shoot anyone who steps out of the building and hope I caught Doctor Morrow among the crowd.”

The night suddenly felt colder. I was too stunned for words.

Ruth, on the other hand, was not. “Excuse me? Excuse me? You just told me Zeus himself has commanded you to follow American jurisprudence, and you come out with pretensions towards mass murder? Not to mention that mass punishment is a crime against humanity and illegal by international law! And you pretend to be an investigator! You could have the birds sit in a tree and listen for anyone to address someone as Doctor Morrow! But no, you just go straight into the bloodshed and hold that threat over the head of my beloved, which terror is just as likely to foul the investigation as help it! You haven’t changed at all!”

Artemis had taken a step backwards. She regained her composure, and huffed. “I am, as I said, attempting to improve my behavior. I don’t want to go in for the ham-fisted method.”

“Then don’t!”

“If I manage to apprehend this Doctor Morrow for you,” I said, “you will remove my curse?”

“I’d hardly call it a curse,” said Artemis. “But yes.”

“Shake on it?”

“No handshake deals for something this big,” said Ruth. She produced a folded wad of paper and a pen from her pocket, and scrawled upon it. Then she shoved it and the pen into Artemis’ hands. “Sign at the bottom please.”

Artemis scowled at the paper. “I did belatedly learn to read, but I can’t make heads or tales of this.” She shoved it into my hands.

Through Ruth’s nigh-illegible scrawl, I was able to make out terms like “party of the first part” and “hereinafter” and “construe”. I glanced up at Ruth, who was looking impatient. “I don’t know how to read legalese.”

“It’s just the terms you came up with,” said Ruth. “Translated to proper contract language. I included no tricks. I swear it on the river Styx.”

Thunder rumbled from a clear night sky.

“Good lord,” said Artemis. “You mean it. Give me that.” She snatched the paper from my hands and took out a small hunting knife, pricked her thumb, and touched it to the plate. The print she left there shone like the moon.

Then she handed the knife to me, prompting me to shake my head. “Come on,” said Artemis. “It’s a magical contract. It has to be signed in blood.”

I glanced at the paper. “That ain’t blood.”

“It is for magical purposes,” said Artemis.

“This has been an extremely unscientific evening,” I said. “Fine. You want magic? Keep in mind that I chose my own name. That carries magic of its own.” I scribbled my name on the paper.

Thunder rumbled once more.

“I’ll be danged,” said Artemis. “You were right.”

The contract thus signed, she nodded, and stepped backward into the shadows. I blinked, and she was gone.





Safe in our dormitory, I contemplated the contract on the desk. Artemis’ print still glowed.

As did my name. Well, that settled it alright, something was sealed. By what mechanism I could not understand, other than meaning and will. 

As for what mechanism animated Artemis – I had to admit, in that moment, that Artemis was something. Not a god, of course, there was only one of those, thank Heaven. But whatever she was, it only resembled humanity. 

I shivered. It felt colder in here than normal. Maybe I could warm up with Ruth.

I shook my head. I wasn’t going to go that far with her until it was unlikely to become an emotional disaster. Although – she did look adorable, lying there with her blanket pulled up to her nose. It was tempting to ask her if there was room for one more. I sighed.

Ruth’s eyes opened and met mine. She smirked. “See anything you like?”

“Your face.”

“Oh? Prove it.” She moved up a bit, letting the blanket fall away from her face. “Kiss me.”

“Fourth time you’ve asked this month.” I moved to the bed and gave her a peck on the lips. 

Then I realized which bunk she was in. “Hang on a damn second, Ruth. I’m pretty sure you have your own bed.”

Ruth grinned wickedly. “I was just warming it up for you, my sweet. And, ah, hoping we could share?”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re awfully brave tonight. First getting in Artemis’ way, then getting in her face, now messing with me.” I crossed my arms. “What if I decide to turn you into a bird?”

“I’d rather be a bear,” said Ruth. “Then you could cuddle me all day.”

“Outside of class?”

In class.”

I smirked. “Tempting.”

“But I would not claim bravery,” said Ruth. “I was being selfish. I want to keep you around, you see. So that someday you will at last agree to date me.”

I almost scoffed at this. But Ruth looked utterly sincere. “You call me your beloved,” I murmured. “I…can’t ignore that. I can’t put it aside. Not now that you’ve said it out loud. Nor can I deny that I admire you to an equal degree.”

Ruth looked eager. “Well then?”

“If we were not roommates,”  I said, “I would accept your offer in a heartbeat. But for now – for now, if we have a spat of any sort…”

“We’re stuck in the same room with each other,” said Ruth. “Can’t exactly go sleep on the couch, can we? Not allowed to do that in the common room. But we’re young. Can’t we be foolish?”

I chirped. “There’s also the fact that I’m not exactly in a good condition right now.”

“All the more reason I need to stay by your side,” said Ruth. “And hey, they pay you chicken feed for being a grad assistant anyway.”

“Buck buck,” I said. “Tell you what. If we can wait to start dating until we’re no longer roomies, I’ll give you as many kisses as you ask for in the meantime.”

“Deal,” said Ruth.

I held silent for a moment.

“What?”

“I half expected you to draw up a contract.”

Ruth giggled. “I don’t need to worry about you breaking your word with me.” 

“Ah, well. If you’re sure.”

“On the other hand,” said Ruth, “if you really want to seal a deal like this…I know exactly how.”

“And that would be…”

Ruth gave me a Look.

“Ah,” I said. “Brace yourself, then –”

But Ruth did not wait for me to move, lunging forward before I could say another word. She planted a kiss hard on my lips. I wrapped my arms around her and returned the favor.

And thus we sealed the deal quite thoroughly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.