Yo home team, what’s up, it’s your bird, Rani.

Here’s the sitch: We’re turning north and following the mountains up to the great pine forests. We’re not going to be able to make it across the plains without being spotted. I asked Guy how you were all feeling about being birds and he said you were all fine so getting a cure doesn’t seem hugely urgent. 

But I don’t like to do things without giving you all a say so please text me with your votes. Just say how many ayes and nays, don’t give any critical info away.

You’re probably wondering how  I managed to send this letter to you. Very simple: I’m using the Postal Service. Safe, reliable, affordable, what’s not to love?

Okay okay I’ll explain more. See, Ruth and I ran into Hermes the other day – yeah, that Hermes, winged sandals and everything. Wanted to carry our messages. Seemed like a bad plan. Prof, maybe you know better than we do. Anyway, he gave us this bag of coins – shoved it in our faces really. And I was tempted to chuck it into the woods and figure something else out, but figuring something else out would have been stealing, and that would have got us in trouble.

But Hermes had said not to open the thing until we were at the post office. So Ruth assumed that whatever was in the bag was probably meant to cause a hell of a ruckus in there. So we wound up sitting around the bag a while, wondering what to do, because maybe it actually had money in it after all, or maybe opening it too early would cause us to turn into stones or something. I know how those stories go. So. Maybe that was the fellow’s trick, to get us to waste time  deciding. 

So we just left the bag lying there on the ground that evening. I was kinda hoping a badger would come along and swipe it or something but the animals were kinda giving us a wide berth that evening. Rook couldn’t even snag another deer until they got like twenty miles from our position. And the birds weren’t even singing in the trees. It was that bad.

Which reminded me that I had forgotten to actually record what the birds were saying about anything. I think I’ve been forgetting since the first morning I could hear them because I hate how vapid they are. Mate with me, mate with me, get out of my yard, over and over and over. I don’t know how Ayaan puts up with it. Bah. Sorry about losing out on a scientific opportunity. If we’re going to survive this journey and we’re taking the long way around maybe there’s more time.

ANYWAY. So I was actually missing the birdsong that evening and then this crow shows up and for a second I hope it’s a certain friend of ours, but I don’t know. The bird just says “Big things will happen when you open that bag.” Which, okay, that tells us we shouldn’t bring the thing into the post office, but we don’t get any more detail before the bird flies off.

I really miss Crow. I feel safer dealing with them than with the Olympians. If you couldn’t tell already. ANYWAY, so I suggest to Ruth that we try to get a few miles from the bag so that we can find a place where the birds actually are so that I can do my damn homework like a responsible adult, and she points out that now the moon is no longer hiding its face, we can’t be sure that stepping out of the shadows at night is safe. Which means we’re still kind of stifled. Damn I hate these Olympians. And our own paranoia. You know, so far we haven’t even been certain that Zeus actually hates us? We’re just being a bunch of chickens. Buck buck buck.

Trouble is that that if we risk it and the dice roll bad, we’re all fried. 

So then Ruth is like, I’ve got this oilskin hooded cloak, and I also packed this Plague Doctor Mask on the off chance that one of us wants to go among humans. Which is one hell of an outfit for someone to encounter walking down a dark backwoods road, on the other hand, nothing else is going to fit our literal beaks. I guess Ruth’s a smart cookie, eh?

YOU KNOW IT.

So I get to put on the mask and the hood and all, which on the one hand must look creepily awesome, on the other hand the seasons are getting kinda hot already and I am feeling stifled once again! This thing ain’t gonna work in the daytime.

So I go on a nice little hike in the moonlight, all of half a mile before I realize that my legs are killing me. Well, my legs aren’t what they used to be, are they? These feet aren’t meant for walking. (Thanks for that.) I think about tossing the cloak off and flying but if that’s going to give me away to Selene or something then never mind. I wind up going back to the camp, giving the cloak and mask to Ruth, and telling her to take a hike. So to speak.

She’s a real fast runner these days. The Bird Potion that turned me into a giant peregrine falcon apparently turned her into a roadrunner. How the heck does that work? Is it a personality thing? Luck of the draw? The potion building on our physical abilities? But me being a peregrine of any kind occurred because of the potion, not beforehand. I was quasi-homeless before the Bird Potion, not a pilgrim. There’s a difference. Wanderers aren’t pilgrims unless they’re going to a specific place for the sake of worship.

And I’m not doing that either, am I? Doctor Morrow ain’t holy and I ain’t askin’ him for nothin’ nicely.

Anyway, she got on the cloak and the mask and took off at a slow jog, and Rook and I sat around for a while, keeping a wary distance from that dumb bag, still under the cover of the leaves, because maybe Selene can spot us, or Zeus can, only if there’s an Olympian artifact sitting right next to us and Hermes already knows where we are then how are we not zapped already? Are we just hoping that neither of them are going to rat us out to Big Sky Daddy? Not exactly a solid plan.

But as you can tell we haven’t been zapped yet, so, despite how fishy this whole thing smells, we haven’t made a huge mistake yet. 

So I’m sitting there, worrying about Ruth getting spotted, and how effective this ruse even would be, I mean she’s got bird legs, how do you not notice that? And then she comes running up to me and says the birds are staying that there’s something at the end of the valley that makes their beak tingle. That it must have come from Doctor Morrow, they’ve heard of the stuff he gets up to, it tingles like a Doctor Morrow thing.

So…either Hermes got his hands on a Doctor Morrow thing, or this Morrow guy is making things that rival Hephaestus for craft. Or Hermes is working with the guy, despite what he said about not liking him. What the heck is going on here.

So I asked Ruth what the birds were saying about what exactly Doctor Morrow got up to. And she was li 

FORGOT TO ASK THEM ABOUT THAT. A THOUSAND PARDONS MY LOVE. WILL YOU EVER FORGIVE ME.

I will forgive my love for being forgetful. But I shall never forgive her for stealing the pen from me.

OH, I AM ASHAMED. I SHALL HAUNT THIS GROUND FOREVER.

ANYWAY. Ruth took off running again, and I was sitting there feeling fairly hungry, and I realized I was hungry for songbird. Which made me feel kind of sick because I just learned how to talk to those folks. If I’m supposed to be, like, the Prime Minister of birds or something, I don’t want to go around eating my own constituents! I’m not a Hanging Judge!  So I think, okay, maybe I’ll just eat the stuff I can’t talk to. 

Except that I managed to talk to that bear once. Did that count? But that was Artemis, and the Olympians can clearly speak Crow, or maybe any language. So I think, okay, I’ll just talk to this beetle here, and it won’t talk back to me, and everything will be fine. And I’m like “hello there beetle, do you mind if I eat you”.

And the beetle is like, “Yeah I would but it’s the circle of life and all that, right?”

Well, shit.

I just HAD to be an obligate carnivore, didn’t I? Despite having taken an oath under Heaven to do no harm? This is a cruel goddamn joke.  Like most of that guy’s jokes. I’m tempted to pray to him just to tell him off.

But then, do I actually want an answer from him? I know what happened the last time I actually asked for one. And to risk his actual presence is…well, I would be violating my oath, wouldn’t I. Bring down his wrath upon us or devour a bird, no thank you, I’d rather starve than give up on my oath that fast.

Fast. har har har. Feeble jokes won’t fill me.

So Ruth comes running up and she’s like “Alright the birds say they don’t see much of Doctor Morrow’s stuff around the mountains besides the occasional bird-human hybrid, but they prefer to avoid migrating to the Boreal Forest near the Great Sea because there’s weird stuff there like moose with human eyes and squirrels talking human and…some thing that they don’t like to talk about.”

And I’m l 

NOPE, SORRY. NOT LETTING RANI WRITE THIS ONE DOWN. THE BIRDS SAY THEY’VE NEVER LAID EYES ON THE THING. THE AIR GETS SO COLD WHEN IT APPROACHES THAT THEY HAVE TO FLY AWAY. BUT THEY CAN HEAR HEAVY BREATHING AND LOUD GROWLING AND EARTH-SHAKING FOOTFALLS.  

Ruth thinks I’m a fragile little song sparrow, apparently.

I DO NOT, IN FACT. RANI DOES NOT SING “ON TOP OF SPAGHETTI” LIKE THEY DO.

ANYWAY. There’s also this island where everyone’s eggs keep disappearing even though the place doesn’t have any snakes or mammals. And any human who comes to that island doesn’t leave. 

And there are a lot of storms off the sea these days. 

Make of all that what you will.

ALSO THE STELLER’S JAYS AROUND HERE LIKE TO SING ABOUT HOW PRETTY THEY ARE AND THE TRUMPETER SWANS LIKE TO SING SCAT. 

That’s not a joke, by the way.

Anyway, at this point Rook says that if this bag of ours really is from Doctor Morrow, we should leave it behind. And Ruth says that something big and powerful like this shouldn’t be left for some random knuckleheads to find. And I say that if we want to ditch it, we should either bury the thing or throw it into a pond, assuming it doesn’t explode. And Ruth says that doing of either of those will guarantee someone else finds the thing someday, and they’ll open it and get turned into a rock or something.

And then Rook is like “I’ll solve this” and he just eats the damn thing.

Which, for a second, appears to have settled the matter.

But then Rook starts choking or something, it looks like he’s either got the bag stuck or it’s coming back up, Ruth and I are squawking in panic, and then Rook starts vomiting lightning. Just zap, zap, zap, one tree after another, and did I mention it’s already the dry season around here? Three trees burning becomes six, then a bunch, then a swathe, then a LOT. The forest is screwed and we’re screwed.

Until Rook’s panicked flapping blows the whole thing out by blowing half the forest over.

Whatever the hell Rook is, Professor, you didn’t fully explain to me. Why did you keep me in the dark? Were you just screwing around with the CRISPR and got lucky? I’ll be asking you about that in person when I get back. 

If we get back. The entire fiasco might have given our position away. We had to hop on Rook and get the hell out of there before any Olympian came looking. 

And then fifty miles northward, we realized that we’d left most of the gear behind. Including all those scientific instruments, and the, uh, not-deadly little destructive device you gave us. Sorry about that. We’ll pick that thing up on the way back. We still have the satellite phone and the battery pack in my pockets but that’s it. And we can’t really go back to get it can we. Sorry about that. I’m still gonna try to record what the birds are talking about.

We’re gonna try to send this letter now. If we can reach the post office then the letter will reach you. Text us if it does. Remember, don’t say any stuff in the chat which would give away our position or route.

LOVE YOU. GOOD LUCK AND DON’T CRY.



So there we were, atop one of the twin peaks overlooking a modest but well-spread town out on the plain.

We could fly over it and do an air drop,” I said. “The map app says they’ve got an airport, but it can’t be big enough to have a huge amount of radar, right?”

If it’s an airport they’ve got radar,” said Ruth. “We couldn’t fly over with Rook. Especially since he’s still coughing up lightning now and then.”

Oh come on,” said Rook. “I’m perfectly fine now –” They gagged and lowered their head. There was a loud crackle of electricity. When they lifted their head, the ground below them was scorched. “See, I’m only doing it a little now.”

Ruth and I both shook our heads.

Fine,” muttered Rook. “I guess I’ll just sit here and be useless.”

Hey,” I said, “You’ve been doing good, kid. We’ve been asking a lot out of you to even go this far. Take a breather for once. Ruth and I will just fly in from here, maybe look like a couple of condors on radar –”

Ruth shook her head. “I haven’t even learned how to fly yet. And I don’t think I can. My wings are kind of stubby compared to yours.” She spread her arms and her wings unfolded to a roughly three-meter span. “These things don’t carry me far. I know what carries me far.”

What,” I said, “You want to just jog into town, looking like a giant roadrunner?”

Ruth took the cloak and mask from her own pack.

You want to run into town, looking like a Plague Doctor who happens to be able to run as fast as a car.”

I’ll put it on when I get close,” said Ruth. “Now, tell me, can your falcon eyes spot the post office from here? I’d like to be able to make a straight shot for it.”

Falcon eyes. I hadn’t really bothered to make use of those before, when we were flying over a dark and wild landscape and we were really close to the ground. I didn’t even know if I had those. But they looked like falcon eyes in the mirror, so…I concentrated really hard on the center of town.

There in the open air over the plain was a lone nightjar. It looked tasty. I shook my head and looked past the bird. There was the park. There was a low-slung brick building next to the park. There were people inside who did not look happy. There was someone moving towards the front doors with keys in their hand.

Straight shot, but someone is about to lock the – ”

Ruth took off with a cloud of dust and a roar of wind, leaving Rook and I to wonder where she’d been hiding all that power. I guess we’d never really needed to make use of it until now. There was a cloud of dust intersecting the road, then there were the tall pines bending in the force of a sudden gale, then a bunch of starlings taking flight as Ruth skidded to a halt right in front of the post office, wearing the cloak and mask.

Then Ruth was barging through the doors right before the guy with the key reached them. Which technically didn’t count as demanding service at closing time, right? And I’d warned her, so it wasn’t my fault. Ah, who was I kidding. I would have to pray for God’s forgiveness for demanding service at closing time.

Fortunately, all Ruth had to do in there was use the computer to order some envelopes and a stamp. Unfortunately, one of the postal workers looked like they were asking her something, and all she could do was shake her head. Hopefully they would think she was just non-verbal.

Which they did. One of them was asking her a question in sign language. I braced myself for the second-hand embarrassment.

But then Ruth answered him by signing, and the fellow looked visibly less agitated. Thank God for a resourceful girlfriend, eh? 

Did she get the job done?” said Rook. “I don’t being out on this mountaintop. I want to get moving.”

She’s coming back now,” I said. “There’s a cloud of dust that – hang on.” The visible presence of Ruth’s passage came to a sudden halt just on the near side of the pines. She was squawking in anger at a human figure who happened to be wearing a large backpack. Ah, poor guy, getting in her way. But it was a risk, moving at that speed, eh? 

Then I looked again. The figure had wings on their shoes.

I screeched, and flapped into the air, then tucked my wings in for a shallow dive towards the pines. That glib jackass was not going to cause trouble for my girl, he was not going to corner her, he was not going to harass her. She would not stand alone. Admittedly, she was demonstrably difficult to corner, and she could clearly escape any human harassment. But Hermes was an Olympian, and I couldn’t be sure that a spirit of swift travel couldn’t outpace Ruth. 

But dammit, she wasn’t going to stand alone.

As I sped closer I could see that Ruth was not having a good time. She was beating her wings like an angry bird trying to make herself look bigger, and squawking something at Hermes, who was making large gestures of his own, like a regular Mediterranean man. Which he was, wasn’t he. Not exactly regular, not exactly human, but still Greek. Which once again raised the question of what he was doing lording it over North America. Maybe if Doctor Morrow was involved with him, I could get some answers there.

As I approached Hermes, I realized I was still too high above him. I went into a steeper dive. Clenched my talons and – 

Next thing I knew I was laying out on the ground, wings spread wide, my left foot hurt like hell, and someone was grumbling. And it wasn’t me.

And then someone was laughing. 

“Hot diggity dang,” said Hermes, and he laughed again. “You punched a god. Got me right in the temple, too! That stung quite a bit. If I were human that would have been the end of the story for me! Why, you’re almost bold enough to take on Zeus himself.”

And then Ruth was bending over me. “Rani? Are you okay?” 

I tried to relax my left foot. It didn’t move. “Emotionally, I don’t know. Physically, I think I broke something.”

“Not to worry,” said Hermes, “not to worry, I’ll take care of it.” He twirled a long staff out of nowhere and tapped my leg with it. Instantly the pain vanished. “Free of charge, my friend. For your courage.”

I flapped my wings awkwardly and managed to flip myself over. “Free of charge, eh? No deals, no obligations? You’re easier to work with than Artemis.”

“I try to be,” said Hermes. “Travelers need help, not arrogance.”

Oh really,” said Ruth. “And what do postal workers need, then? You gave us something that would have harmed them.”

“Don’t make a federal case out of it,” said Hermes. “Sheesh! The bag was supposed to give you a bunch of coins if you were in the post office and blow you far away from each other if you opened it beforehand. Standard storybook test of character! Uh – what happened to that bag anyway? I didn’t see you use it in there.”

I looked back at the mountain. Rook was still there, crouched beneath a fir tree, waiting and watching. Good bird.

A crow told us big things would happen if we used it,” said Ruth, “So we thought it was dangerous – which apparently it was – and Rook ate it. And then he horked up lightning everywhere. Caused kind of a ruckus. You didn’t notice?”

Hermes snorted. Then he chuckled. Then he guffawed, falling onto his rear and rolling on the ground. 

You didn’t notice.”

“I can’t – ha, ha ha ha! I can’t notice everything, birdie! I’m a busy god! There’s so many roads in this country!” He caught his breath, and slowly rose to his feet. 

Maybe that’s a good sign,” I said. “If Mister Vacation Insurance here has to keep track of all the roads, maybe Zeus is busy keeping track of all the airplanes. But oh, what a shame you’re the only one keeping track of the roads, my dear Great Spirit! If there were only others like you who could share the load! But no, those are all gone for some damn reason. I bet you know what happened to them. How long have you and your family been here?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” said Hermes.

What I want to know,” said Ruth, “Is what you meant when you said you don’t like Doctor Morrow. Because the bag you gave us had his scent all over it, so to speak. Did you swipe the thing from him?”

Hermes looked nervous. “Well, ah, that’s a little complicated –”

He’s working for Doctor Morrow but he hates it,” I said. “Am I right?”

Hermes pursed his lips, but said nothing.

Which raises the question of who the hell could actually compel an Olympian to do anything. Hopefully not God himself, if he reached into the world that much we’d all be screwed. It’s not anything human, either. It’s either something out of the depths of Tartarus, which is unlikely, because that would have shaken the earth and we would have felt it from here, OR it’s another Olympian. Unless Doctor Morrow has some kind of Super Science to surpass the Olympians, in which case Zeus should have just sent a whirlwind to destroy Doctor Morrow and taken care of the fellow. Or…does it have anything to do with that frightening presence in the woods of the mainland?”

Hermes now looked frightened. “Shit, kid, you know about that one? Don’t talk about it. I’m handling it. Alright? Never mind. Look, there’s a lot going on here that you don’t understand, and if Doc Morrow gets wind that I gave you any details of him then I’m screwed. So forget that. Just get to Lake Superior. And before you ask, no, I can’t lend you a car to get across the plains. The plains aren’t safe. Not for you.”

Ruth tilted her head in confusion. “What do you mean?”

Suddenly the air felt a little colder.

“Get the hell out of here,” said Hermes. “Take a route where they won’t see you coming. Go.” He gave me a gentle shove by the shoulders. “Don’t wait, don’t hesitate, just go. I’ll try to give you whatever blessings I can. GO.

I didn’t wait for another word, but took to the air as Ruth took to her heels. Each in our own way, we raced toward the distant mountaintop.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.