Mirzan Mahathir the eldest son of the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohamad, is a director of at least eight companies traded on the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange. His private company Peringkat Prestasi holds many of his investments including a large stake in Lion Corporation. But his main interest is Konsortium Perkapalan Bhd, a listed haulage and logistics company which controls almost half of Malaysia's road freight market.

Mirzan Mahathir graduated in 1987 with an MBA from the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania in the US. He then took up a post at Salomon Brothers in the US, as an associate in testing analytical and trading strategies.

After his return to Malaysia in 1990, he went into transportation sector. In 1992, he bought into Konsortium Perkapalan Bhd and turned it into a major logistics company. In 1996, Konsortium Perkapalan Bhd clinched the deal to buy Hongkong-based Pacific Basin Bulk Shipping, and add sea-based link to the land-based logistics company. Subsequent to the economic crisis in 1998, MISC bought Pacific Basin and all the other sea-based shipping assets of Konsortium Perkapalan Bhd.

Searches made at the Registry of Companies at the end of 1994, show Mirzan had interests in 98 companies.

It has been published that Mirzan Mahathir is director of two companies awarded privatisation projects by the Malaysian Government.

Konsortium Perkapalan Bhd who takeover of 60 per cent equity of Pernas in Perbadanan Nasional Shipping Line Bhd, and Taff Hotel Sdn Bhd who was awarded the Tanjung Jara Beach Hotel Sdn Bhd project.

after The New Sunday Times, June 21, 1998, "Recipients of privatised projects"
Singapore Business Times, July 13, 1998, "The Mirzan Mahathir story"
The Asian Wall Street Journal, October 16, 1998, "Mahathir Is No Suharto"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.