"I still believe that at any time the no-talent police will come and arrest me."
Mike Myers

Does he do it for the fame or the joy he gets from making people laugh? Possibly. Does he do it for the women? Although he used to act out the character of Wayne for girls at parties, he ultimately met his wife at a hockey game, so that whole lifetime as a comedian would've been a waste of time. Maybe it was his father's influence, who, when Myers was a boy would bar Mike's unfunny friends from the house. Now that's pressure. Whatever his motivations, the important thing is that he's here to stay. His status as an icon and household name is sure to weather through the bad roles.

Mike Myers was born on May 25, 1963 in Scarborough, Ontario to Eric and Alice, both British citizens. Even today Myers carries around a British passport, and has often claimed British citizenship in interviews. Growing up in Canada, Myers was close enough to to America to understand the culture, but distant enough to make fun of it. This blend of two worlds would be his greatest asset when he wrote, produce and starred in the Austin Powers series. But long before that he starred in a few commerials and the Canadian comedy Mullarkey & Mike Myers before pursuing the big time; namely, SNL.

Mike Myers took off from here starting in 1988, playing a number of memorable characters for six seasons, such as cable-access host Wayne, German Dieter (host of Sprokets), Angus (the proprietor of All Things Scottish), and Coffee Talk host Linda Richman, whose character was based on his mother-in-law. Ah, those were the days... you'll have to excuse me, I'm a little farklempt. Mike Myer's amazing talent at character creation would continue to serve him well outside of SNL. The story of the two suburban rock-loving cable-access hosts, Wayne and Garth would become one of the most popular Lorne Michaels movies of all time. However, his career has always been slightly hit-and-miss. The sequel to the movie didn't fare nearly as well, and Myers has racked up a small list of bombs.

But that only allows him to really shine when things do click! And things clicked right into place for Mike's project Austin Powers, where he was able to flex all his creative muscle, writing and producing the film while playing multiple roles. An interesting bit of trivia: Mike likes playing Dr. Evil the best (shhh! don't tell Austin) and Fat Bastard the least (must be that damn rubber suit).

  • After So I Married An Axe-Murderer Myers toured around with Barbara Streisand as the Coffee Talk character Linda Richman.
  • Around that same time he formed a rock band with alternative rocker Matthew Sweet called Ming Tea. They were booked as the house band for Johnny Depp's club, the Viper Room. The groovy 60s motif just might have made a lasting impression on Myers.
  • Mike Myers was a big AD&D fan as a kid, which he said gave him the inspiration for his character Lothar of the Hill People.
  • He owns the last letter ever written by Beatles singer George Harrison, which was given to Myers after Harrison's death. The letter compliments Myers on the Austin Powers movies and asks him for a Mini-Me doll. When Myers was a kid, supposedly he would not let go of the idea that he was related to the Beatles.
  • In June of 2000: Myers was sued by Universal Pictures for $3.8 million for backing out of his contract to play Dieter in a feature film version of his "Saturday Night Live" Skit, "Sprokets". Myers was quoted to say that he would refuse to honor the 20 million dollar contract rather than "cheat moviegoers with an unacceptable script."

A C T O R

Shrek 2 (2004) - Shrek
The Cat in the Hat (2003) - The Cat
Shrek 4-D (2003) (voice) - Shrek
View from the Top (2003) - John Whitney
Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) - Austin Powers/Dr. Evil/Goldmember/Fat Bastard
Shrek in the Swamp Karaoke Dance Party (2001) (singing voice) - Shrek/Blind Mouse
Shrek (2001) (voice) - Shrek/Blind Mouse/Narrator
Madonna: The Video Collection 93:99 (1999) - Austin Powers (segment "Beautiful Stranger")
Mystery, Alaska (1999) - Donnie Shulzhoffer
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) - Austin Powers/Dr. Evil/Fat Bastard
Nobody Knows Anything (1998)
The Thin Pink Line (1998) - Tim Broderick
Pete's Meteor (1998) - Pete
54 (1998) - Steve Rubell
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) - Austin Powers/Dr. Evil
Wayne's World 2 (1993) - Wayne Campbell
So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) - Charlie Mackenzie/Stuart Mackenzie
Wayne's World (1992) - Wayne Campbell
"Saturday Night Live" (1975) TV Series - Various (1989-1995)
Elvis Stories (1989) - Cockney Man
"It's Only Rock and Roll" (1987) TV Series - Wayne Campbell
John and Yoko: A Love Story (1985) (TV) (uncredited) - Delivery Boy
"Wide Awake Club" (1984) TV Series
"Range Ryder and the Calgary Kid" (1977) TV Series

W R I T E R

Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002) (characters)
Comedy Central's Canned Ham: The Dr. Evil Story (1999)
Saturday Night Live: The Best of Dana Carvey (1999)
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) (characters)
Saturday Night Live: The Best of Mike Myers (1998)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
Wayne's World 2 (1993) (characters)
Wayne's World (1992) (characters)
"Saturday Night Live" (1975) TV Series (1989-1995)

P R O D U C E R

Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002)
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)



http://www.mike-myers.us/Mike_Myers_Biography_83.htm
http://www.digitalhit.com/cr/mikemyers
http://www.imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.