A Marvel Comics superheroine.

Medusa Amaquelin Boltagon was a member of the royal family of the erstwhile extraterrestrial superhero group called The Inhumans, and possesses ultra strong and sessile red hair.

(growwl)

She has been the long standing consort of (and second cousin to) the leader of The Inhumans, the mute crown prince Black Bolt. As such, she soon came into contact with The Fantastic Four, even becoming a full fledged member of the FF for an extended period of time during the separation of Sue and Reed Richards.

However, all of the Inhumans developed severe allergic reactions to the toxins in Earth's atmosphere, and were forced to emigrate to the Moon, where she settled down with Black Bolt and bore him at least one child.

All characters contained herein were created by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Marvel Comics.

A Mortal, one of three Gorgons (a race of warlike women living in Libya), snake-haired and tusked mentioned in in Greek mythology. When she was killed by Perseus, her two children by Poseidon, Pegasus and Chrysaor sprang from her corpse. Pegasus, who had the form of a winged horse, was ridden by Bellerophon who killed Chimera.

sources:

http://www.artsmia.org/mythology/slide12.html
http://www.entrenet.com/~groedmed/greekm/mythmedu.html
http://www.artsmia.org/mythology/slide12.html

Medusa is the world's first floorless roller coaster, and it is found at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. It is a steel roller coaster that measures in at 142 feet tall, 3985 feet long. The tallest drop is 13 stories tall (132 feet). Medusa's top speed is 61 miles per hour, and the ride lasts 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Riders on Medusa will experience: 1 vertical loop, 1 dive loop, 1 zero-g roll, 1 cobra roll (2 inversions), and interlocking corkscrews.

Medusa was built by Bolliger & Mabillard (B & M), at a cost of $15,000,000, and was opened on April 4th, 1999.

Medusa has a lime green track with a purple support structure. There are 3 trains, each with 8 rows of 4 seats. Riders are strapped into a floorless chair on top of the track in the open-sided, floorless train. The wide space between each row adds to the floorless effect by allowing riders to view the track disappearing beneath them.

The ride is incredibly smooth, and is similar to that of a suspended coaster. The first hill packs a surprise at the top, and when banking around turns, the riders' legs fly out, accentuating the flying effect.

One of my personal favorites because of the smooth ride. Medusa is simply a superior roller coaster.

Sources: Roller Coaster Database (rcdb.com), Six Flags (sixflags.com), and personal experience.

The second solo album of former Eurythmics lead singer Annie Lennox. After the successful Diva album, Annie decided to do a cover album of her favorite songs.
It contains some well known songs (like Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" and Paul Simon's "Something So Right") and The Pretenders' "Thin Line Between Love and Hate", as well as less known but still beautiful covers.

Track Listing:

No More 'I Love You's'
Take Me to the River
A Whiter Shade of Pale
Don't Let It Bring You Down
Train in Vain
I Can't Get Next to You
Downtown Lights
Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Waiting in Vain
Something So Right

Me*du"sa (?), n. [L., fr. Gr. .]

1. Class. Myth.

The Gorgon; or one of the Gorgons whose hair was changed into serpents, after which all who looked upon her were turned into stone.

2. [pl. Medusae ().] Zool.

Any free swimming acaleph; a jellyfish.

⇒ The larger medusae belong to the Discophora, and are sometimes called covered-eyed medusae; others, known as naked-eyed medusae, belong to the Hydroidea, and are usually developed by budding from hidroids. See Discophora, Hydroidea, and Hydromedusa.

Medusa bud Zool., one of the buds of a hydroid, destined to develop into a gonophore or medusa. See Athecata, and Gonotheca. -- Medusa's head. (a) Zool. An astrophyton. (b) Astron. A cluster of stars in the constellation Perseus. It contains the bright star Algol.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.