Serves around 6, or one if you're me after a long day ...

You will need

Notes:

Preparation takes less than 20 minutes, but you need 8 hours for chilling.
Cooking takes less than 10 minutes and 10 minutes are needed for cooling.

Method

Place cream, vanilla, bay leaf and lemon zest in a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat. Allow cream to simmer for 3 minutes. If you have time, allow to stand for 20 minutes to let the ingredients infuse.
Place the egg yolks and 30ml/2tbsp of the sugar in a large bowl and whisk until the mixture turns paler and is light and fluffy.
Remove the vanilla pod, lemon and bay from the cream and the slowly add the warm cream to the sugar and egg yolks. When it is thoroughly combined pour the mixture to the pan.
Cook over a low heat, stirring continuously until the custard starts to thicken, about 4-5 minutes. Do not allow the mixture to boil. Pour the custard into 6 medium ramekins and allow to cool in a fridge preferably overnight.
About 20 minutes before serving, sprinkle remaining sugar over the set custards. Place under a very hot grill until the sugar is melted and bubbling.
Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes until the sugar has formed a hard crust.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.