A dog who is immortalised in bronze outside Greyfriars Kirk, Edinburgh's oldest graveyard.

The story tells that in 1858 this Skye terrier followed the remains of his master, John Gray, to Greyfriars churchyard. After the burial, the dog refused to leave the graveside. Until his own death, Bobby never moved far from the churchyard. A shelter was constructed there for him, and he was given his food regularly in the kitchens of dining rooms nearby. When the question of his dog licence arose, the lord provost of the day paid it personally, and declared Bobby had the freedom of the city.

Log in or registerto write something here or to contact authors.