The name of a dog whose statue in bronze stands before the train station at Shibuya. The main exit of the JR station is in fact named after it, as is the square (ハチ公) in front of it, which is decorated with a couple of trees, but certainly not worth calling a park. The statue is probably the most well-known pinpointable location in all of Japan as well as the most popular meeting spot in Tokyo.

The story behind it goes like this: In the 1920s, there was a Professor Ueno Eizaburo teaching at the Tokyo Imperial University (now Todai). Every morning he walked to Shibuya station together with his dog Hachi (or Hachiko as a diminuitive), and when he returned home in the evening, Hachi would always be waiting for him at the station. However, on May 21st 1925, the professor died of a stroke at the university, and Hachi waited in vain at the usual time and place. And though he eventually went home alone, he came back the next day. And the next, every day, for the rest of his life. People eventually noticed the loyal dog and began to feed him. The story spread through the nation and was held up as a shining example of loyalty. Hachi even became a kind of tourist sttraction, with people from all over Japan coming to see and pet him (which was thought to bring luck and is still done with the statue). The dog's daily trips to Shibuya station continued for nearly ten years, until on March 7th 1934 Hachi was found dead on his waiting spot outside the station.

I dunno about you, but the story always brings tears to my eyes.

Hachiko in Japanese colloquialism also refers to the park itself where the Akita-breed dog Hachiko is memorialized. More formally, the park is called "Hachiko Koen" (Hachiko Park).

At the park, a fairly tall pedestal gives the bronze dog a clear view of the JR train station over people's heads.
Since the dog is easily visible from a distance, and since the park is located at a convenient place to begin a walk around Shibuya makes Hachiko Park is a very popular meeting place.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.