A documentary by veteran Canadian filmmaker Ron Mann.

Grass chronicles the war on cannabis in the USA, from the racism against Mexicans that started the movement in the 1920s, to the current war on some drugs run by Bill "I didn't inhale" Clinton.

The film is narrated by the famous actor and a known hemp activist Woody Harrelson. It also features animation from the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers co-creator Paul Mavrides.

Needless to say, Grass is pretty much the direct opposite of Reefer Madness, providing the viewer with the straight dope (pun intended) instead of the usual propaganda. Hopefully this is a sign of changing attitudes.

The official web site can be found at http://www.grassthemovie.com/.
An amazing, intense novel by Sheri S. Tepper, Grass is the first in her loosely knit Marjorie Westriding trilogy.

The planet Grass is inhabited by Hippae, malevolent horse-like creatures with powers to control human minds, and Foxen, mysterious intelligent beings. The aristocrats of Grass, the Bons, live in distant estancias in the grass plains, and dedicate their lives to the Hunt, riding Hippae to kill Foxen. The commoners live in Commons, the one section of the planet inaccessible to the Hippae. Somehow linked to the interplay of man and hippae and foxen is a deadly plague sweeping the galaxy, killing men on every planet - except Grass.

The religion of Sanctity, based on immortality through cloning, controls most of human space. They seek to deny the existence of the plague to keep their control of humankind, but secretly they are desperately seeking a cure, if only for their upper ecclesiastical echelons. The dying head of Sanctity sends his nephew, Rigo Yrarier, and his family, Old Catholics all, to Grass to investigate why they have no plague and if a cure may be found there. Rigo's wife, Marjorie Westriding, is soon caught up in the tangled relationship between plague, the gentle Foxen, the amoral Hippae, and the mysterious extinct aliens the Arbai. Can she unravel it all in time to find a cure?

This is one of Tepper's finest works. It is worth reading just for the beautiful descriptions of Grass and its alien and complex ecosystem, it is worth reading just for the religious tension and subtle plotting, it is worth reading just for the wonderful character Tepper has created in Marjorie Westriding, and it is ESSENTIAL reading when you add them all together. An amazing book. Recommended, recommended, recommended.

A British slang term, widely used and understood, meaning to inform on another. Its most common usage would be in criminal circles where it can be as either a verb:

"Somebody grassed on Jimmy 'Lightfingers' Malone for the bank job he did last week"

Or it can also be used as a noun, meaning the one who informs:

"If anyone sees Big Dave let him know that we don't like grasses round here and he's in trouble if he shows his face"

Its use isn't entirely confined to miscreants however, as telling tales to a teacher at school could get you labelled as a grass as well. Thinking about it, I imagine a close analogy in US English would be the word "snitch" which I believe can also be used as either a noun or a verb.

The word "grass" really became accepted into the mainstream in the early 1980s when a number of arrested IRA members became labelled supergrasses by the media after giving evidence against their former comrades in exchange for a prosecution amnesty and being given new identities.

Grass is the preparation of Cannabis in which the plant matter is processed and converted into a finer substance than one would find in any bag of kind bud, nugs, or weed.

Grass has many advantages and disadvantages in comparison to other Cannabis preparations. Since it is denser, it burns easier and stays lit for longer. However, many pipes and bowls are not efficient for smoking grass because the fine particles can fall through the screen, resulting in Scooby Snacks. A second disadvantage to grass is that it is harder for the consumer to determine the purity of it, other than by its colour and smell. It would be hard to detect if the quality product has been contaminated, or laced.

Grass (?), n. [OE. gras, gres, gers, AS, qrs, grs; akin to OFries. gres, gers, OS., D., G., Icel., & Goth. gras, Dan. grs, Sw. grs, and prob. to Z. grcen, grow. Cf. Graze.]

1.

Popularly: Herbage; the plants which constitute the food of cattle and other beasts; pasture.

2. Bot.

An endogenous plant having simple leaves, a stem generally jointed and tubular, the husks or glumes in pairs, and the seed single.

This definition includes wheat, rye, oats, barley, etc., and excludes clover and some other plants which are commonly called by the name of grass. The grasses form a numerous family of plants.

3.

The season of fresh grass; spring.

[Colloq.]

Two years old next grass. Lathsm.

4.

Metaphorically used for what is transitory.

Surely the people is grass. Is. xl. 7.

⇒The following list includes most of the grasses of the United States of special interest, except cereals. Many of these terms will be found with definitions in the Vocabulary. See Illustrations in Appendix.

Barnyard grass, for hay. South. Panicum Grus-galli.

Bent, pasture and hay. Agrostis, several species.

Bermuda grass, pasture. South. Cynodon Dactylon.

Black bent. Same as Switch grass (below).

Blue bent, hay. North and West. Andropogon provincialis.

Blue grass, pasture. Poa compressa.

Blue joint, hay. Northwest. Aqropyrum glaucum.

Buffalo grass, grazing. Rocky Mts., etc. (a) Buchloe dectyloides. (b) Same as Grama grass (below). <-- here spelled "gramma" in original -->

Bunch grass, grazing. Far West. Eriocoma, Festuca, Stips, etc.

Chess, or Cheat, a weed. Bromus secalinus, etc.

Couch grass. Same as Quick grass (below).

Crab grass, (a) Hay, in South. A weed, in North. Panicum sanguinale. (b) Pasture and hay. South. Eleusine Indica.

Darnel (a) Bearded, a noxious weed. Lolium temulentum. (b) Common. Same as Rye grass (below).

Drop seed, fair for forage and hay. Muhlenbergia, several species.

English grass. Same as Redtop (below).

Fowl meadow grass. (a) Pasture and hay. Poa serotina. (b) Hay, on moist land. Gryceria nervata.

Gama grass, cut fodder. South. Tripsacum dactyloides.

<-- spelled here (as in modern dictionaries) "Grama" in original, but references are to "gramma" --> Grama grass, grazing. West and Pacific slope. Bouteloua oligostachya, etc.

Great bunch grass, pasture and hay. Far West. Festuca scabrella.

Guinea grass, hay. South. Panicum jumentorum.

Herd's grass, in New England Timothy, in Pennsylvania and South Redtop.

Indian grass. Same as Wood grass (below).

Italian rye grass, forage and hay. Lolium Italicum.

Johnson grass, grazing aud hay. South and Southwest. Sorghum Halepense.

Kentucky blue grass, pasture. Poa pratensis.

Lyme grass, coarse hay. South. Elymus, several species.

Manna grass, pasture and hay. Glyceria, several species.

Meadow fescue, pasture and hay. Festuca elatior.

Meadow foxtail, pasture, hay, lawn. North. Alopecurus pratensis.

Meadow grass, pasture, hay, lawn. Poa, several species.

Mesquite, or Muskit grass. Same as Grama grass (above). <-- here spelled "gramma" in original -->

Nimble Will, a kind of drop seed. Muhlenbergia diffsa.

Orchard grass, pasture and hay. Dactylis glomerata.

Porcupine grass, troublesome to sheep. Northwest. Stipa spartea.

Quaking grass, ornamental. Briza media and maxima.

Quitch, or Quick, grass, etc., a weed. Agropyrum repens.

Ray grass. Same as Rye grass (below).

Redtop, pasture and hay. Agrostis vulgaris.

Red-topped buffalo grass, forage. Northwest. Poa tenuifolia.

Reed canary grass, of slight value. Phalaris arundinacea.

Reed meadow grass, hay. North. Glyceria aquatica.

Ribbon grass, a striped leaved form of Reed canary grass.

Rye grass, pasture, hay. Lolium perenne, var.

Seneca grass, fragrant basket work, etc. North. Hierochloa borealis.

Sesame grass. Same as Gama grass (above).

Sheep's fescue, sheep pasture, native in Northern Europe and Asia. Festuca ovina.

Small reed grass, meadow pasture and hay. North. Deyeuxia Canadensis.

Spear grass, Same as Meadow grass (above).

Squirrel-tail grass, troublesome to animals. Seacoast and Northwest. Hordeum jubatum.

Switch grass, hay, cut young. Panicum virgatum.

Timothy, cut young, the best of hay. North. Phleum pratense.

Velvet grass, hay on poor soil. South. Holcus lanatus.

Vernal grass, pasture, hay, lawn. Anthoxanthum odoratum.

Wire grass, valuable in pastures. Poa compressa.

Wood grass, Indian grass, hay. Chrysopogon nutans.

⇒ Many plants are popularly called grasses which are not true grasses botanically considered, such as black grass, goose grass, star grass, etc.

Black grass, a kind of small rush (Juncus Gerardi), growing in salt marshes, used for making salt hay. -- Grass of the Andes, an oat grass, the Arrhenatherum avenaceum of Europe.-- Grass of Parnassus, a plant of the genus Parnassia growing in wet ground. The European species is P. palustris; in the United States there are several species. -- Grass bass Zool., the calico bass. -- Grass bird, the dunlin. -- Grass cloth, a cloth woven from the tough fibers of the grass-cloth plant. -- Grass-cloth plant, a perennial herb of the Nettle family (Behmeria nivea or Urtica nivea), which grows in Sumatra, China, and Assam, whose inner bark has fine and strong fibers suited for textile purposes. -- Grass finch. Zool. (a) A common American sparrow (Poocaetes gramineus); -- called also vesper sparrow and bay-winged bunting. (b) Any Australian finch, of the genus Poephila, of which several species are known. -- Grass lamb, a lamb suckled by a dam running on pasture land and giving rich milk.-- Grass land, land kept in grass and not tilled. -- Grass moth Zool., one of many small moths of the genus Crambus, found in grass. -- Grass oil, a fragrant essential volatile oil, obtained in India from grasses of the genus Andropogon, etc.; -- used in perfumery under the name of citronella, ginger grass oil, lemon grass oil, essence of verbena etc. -- Grass owl Zool., a South African owl (Strix Capensis). -- Grass parrakeet Zool., any of several species of Australian parrots, of the genus Euphemia; -- also applied to the zebra parrakeet. -- Grass plover Zool., the upland or field plover. -- Grass poly Bot., a species of willowwort (Lythrum Hyssopifolia). Johnson. -- Crass quit Zool., one of several tropical American finches of the genus Euetheia. The males have most of the head and chest black and often marked with yellow.-- Grass snake. Zool. (a) The common English, or ringed, snake (Tropidonotus natrix). (b) The common green snake of the Northern United States. See Green snake, under Green. -- Grass snipe Zool., the pectoral sandpiper (Tringa maculata) -- called also jacksnipe in America. -- Grass spider Zool., a common spider (Agelena naevia), which spins flat webs on grass, conspicuous when covered with dew. -- Grass sponge Zool., an inferior kind of commercial sponge from Florida and the Bahamas. -- Grass table. Arch. See Earth table, under Earth. -- Grass vetch Bot., a vetch (Lathyrus Nissolia), with narrow grasslike leaves. -- Grass widow. [Cf. Prov. R. an unmarried mother, G. strohwittwe a mock widow, Sw. grasenka a grass widow.] (a) An unmarried woman who is a mother. [Obs.] (b) A woman separated from her husband by abandonment or prolonged absence; a woman living apart from her husband. [Slang.] -- Grass wrack Bot. eelgrass. -- To bring to grass Mining., to raise, as ore, to the surface of the ground. -- To put to grass, To put out to grass, to put out to graze a season, as cattle.

 

© Webster 1913.


Grass (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grassed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Grassing.]

1.

To cover with grass or with turf.

2.

To expose, as flax, on the grass for bleaching, etc.

3.

To bring to the grass or ground; to land; as, to grass a fish.

[Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Grass (?), v. i.

To produce grass.

[R.] Tusser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.