The X-files

Erlenmeyer Flask (The)
Episode: 1X23
First aired:5/14/94
Written by: Chris Carter
Directed by: R. W. Goodwin

A very cool episode of The X-files.
Mulder receives a tip from Deep Throat that a man, who fled from the police and leaped into a bay, was trailing green blood, an indication of alien life. Deep Throat's clue leads him and Scully to a Dr. Berube, who does not help them. Scully believes that Deep Throat is just fooling with Mulder but Deep Throat presses Mulder to continue their investigation.

Later Dr Berube is found dead in his lab, killed by the Crew-Cut Man, and Mulder recovers a flask of liquid labeled 'Purity Control' which Scully takes to be analyzed. Scully finds the contents to contain 2 new nucleotides that exist nowhere in nature. This news shakes Scully and she is unsure what to believe.

Mulder follows another lead to a warehouse full of bodies suspended in green liquid, however when he later returns to show Scully the warehouse is empty.

Deep Throat contacts Mulder and explains that Dr. Berube was running a government funded project using alien DNA in gene therapy. Deep Throat tells Mulder that a government black squad is working against them to destroy all evidence of the tests.

Mulder is captured by the Crew-Cut Man. To save Mulder's life, Scully obtains an alien fetus, the origin of the alien tissue, with help from Deep Throat, who she doesn't trust.

The exchange is made on a bridge. Deep Throat insists on making the exchange only to be shot by Crew-Cut Man. With his dying breath, Deep Throat tells Scully "Trust no one."

The X-files are shut down and we see the Cigarette-Smoking Man go into the basement of the Pentagon and add the alien fetus to it's contents.


Important Quotes:
Deep Throat -- "Calling it a night, Mister Mulder?"
Mulder -- "My mother usually likes me home before the street lights come on."

Mulder -- "You know, from day one, this has always been on your terms. I've gone along. Been the dutiful son. But maybe this time, we can just cut out the Obi-Wan Kenobi crap and you can save me the trouble."

Scully -- "Okay, Mulder, but I'm warning you... if this is monkey pee, you're on your own."

Carpentier (scientist) -- "A fifth and sixth DNA nucleotide. A new base pair. Agent Scully, what are you looking at... it exists nowhere in nature. It would have to be, by definition... extraterrestrial. "

Scully -- "Wait a second... Mulder? I, I just want to say that I was wrong."
Mulder -- "It's all right, don't worry about it."
Scully -- "No, um... if you'd had listened to me, we wouldn't be here right now. I should know by now to trust your instincts."
Mulder -- "Why? Nobody else does."

Crew-Cut Man -- "Your cellular phone's been ringing off the hook."
Mulder -- "I'm a popular guy. Why don't you answer it for me?"

Deep Throat -- "Trust... Trust no one."

Mulder -- "I'm... not going to give up. I can't give up. Not as long as the truth is out there."

Previous Episode|Next Episode

Back to The X-files: Season 1
An Erlenmeyer Flask is a conical laboratory flask with a narrow neck and flat broad bottom. It is standard equipment in most chemistry labs. Most of the time it is made of heat-resistant pyrex glass. The Erlenmeyer Flask was invented by Richard August Carl Emil Erlenmeyer in 1861. He was a noted German chemist.


                   ______
                   |    |
                   |    |
                   |    |
                   |    |
                   |    |
                   |    |
                  /      \
                 /        \
                /          \
               /            \
              /______________\
              

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.