The CBA is a baseball league of the imagination. Ther focus is on the great game of the quadrature is more poetic than athletic.

Begining with the notion that the game of baseball is really a metaphor for the life of the mind, CBA expresses itself with the desire for and love of individual and collective creation.

The CBA recently began its 20th cosmic season. Nearly 600 players on 24 teams in 3 leagues will play a simulated 162-game schedule that ends in September.

_______________________________________________

The Cosmic Baseball Teams: (active teams in upper-case letters)

ANARCHISTS - The ARMAGEDDONIA ANARCHISTS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of political radicals. The team was created on October 13, 1997. The ANARCHISTS compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

Arbuckles - The Simpson Arbuckles were a team made up of individuals associated with the murder of Nicole Simpson. Originally created on October 7, 1995 the team was deactivated on October 1, 1996.

B'STORMERS - The BIGTOPIA BARNUMSTORMERS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of freaks and sports. The team was created on October 15, 1996. The Barnumstormers compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

Beasts - The Visionville Beasts were a team made up of avant-garde and experimental filmmakers. Originally created on March 18, 1985 the team was disincorporated on March 4, 1996 when it was thematically absorbed by the BOLEX POETICS.

BEATS - The DHARMA BEATS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of Beat Generation personalities. The team was created on March 18, 1983. Originally any writer was eligible for consideration. However, since the promulgation of the team's "Beatification Rules" potential players must now have some connection with Beat philosophy. The BEATS compete in the Cosmic Overleague.

BIBLICALS - The Biblicals are a team made up of characters from various sacred texts. Originally created on March 11, 1996 the team did not begin playing cosmic baseball until the 1997 season. Since 1999 the Biblicals have been playing in the longest baseball game in history against the Fictionals. As of March 1, 2001 after 752 innings, the score remained tied at 14 runs each.

BOHEMIANS - The EDEN BOHEMIANS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of authors. The team was created on October 6, 1982. The BOHEMIANS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

Brains - The Mindland Brains were a team made up of neurologists and neurosurgeons. Originally created on December 1, 1998 the team played in the Cosmic Underleague and was deactivated on October 1, 2000.

BUSRIDERS - The PRANKTOWN BUSRIDERS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of Merry Pranksters. The Pranksters were a guerilla theater group led by Ken Kesey in the 1960s. This team was created on January 26, 1996. The PRANKSTERS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

CAPITALISTS - The HEARTLAND CAPITALISTS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of of economists and entrepreneurs. The team was created on November 30, 1983. The CAPITALISTS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

CARS - The PHAETOWN CARS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of automobiles. The team was created on December 14, 2000. The CARS will compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

Classifications - The Bookhouse Classifications were a team made up of the categories used in the Dewey Decimal Library Classification scheme. Originally created on February 17, 1998 the team competed in the Cosmic Underleague and was deactivated on October 1, 1998.

Commanders - The Khe Sanh Commanders were a team made up of United States Marines who fought in Vietnam near the Khe Sanh Combat Support Base. Originally created on September 5, 1987 the team was deactivated on October 1, 1988.

Curves - The Sweepland Curves were a team made up of mathematical curves. Originally created on December 19, 1998 the team was deactivated on October 1, 2000.

DRAGONS - The DELTA DRAGONS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of musicians. The team was created on December 31, 1981. The DRAGONS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

Erotics - The Nude Island Erotics were a team made up of erotic writers and personalities. Originally created on November 30, 1983 the team was deactivated on November 1, 1996.

Explorers - The Barsoomtown Explorers were a team made up of Martian exploration spacecraft. Originally created on August 11, 1992 the team was deactivated on October 1, 1993.

FICTIONALS - The Fictionals are a team made up of characters from novels and other works of fiction. Originally created on March 11, 1996 the team did not begin playing cosmic baseball until the 1997 season. Since 1999 the Fictionals have been playing in the longest baseball game in history against the Biblicals. As of March 1, 2001 after 752 innings, the score remained tied at 14 runs each.

FRAMEMAKERS - The NEW KINO CITY FRAMEMAKERS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of mostly narrative filmmakers. The team was created on December 8, 2000. The FRAMEMAKERS compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

Giants - The Cisco Giants were a team made up of writers. Originally created by Gary Hodges on February 18, 1998 the team was deactivated on October 15, 1999.

Graphites - The Plumbago Bay Graphites were a team made up of graphic designers. Originally created on July 11, 1997 the team was deactivated on September 22, 1998.

Hurricanes - The Tropicland Hurricanes were a team made up of tropical cyclones. Originally created on January 20, 1990 the team was deactivated on October 15, 1997.

INSECTS - The IMPERIAL CITY INSECTS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of animal kingdom bugs. The team was created on November 16, 2000. The INSECTS compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

IONIANS - The ALPHATOWN IONIANS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of philosophers and scientists. The team was created on December 31, 1981. The IONIANS compete in the Cosmic Overleague.

Journals - The Numidia Journals were a team made up of individuals associated with the history and practice of journalism. The Journals are thematically related to the Newshole Muckrakers, another cosmic baseball team. Originally created on December 20, 1998 the team was deactivated on October 15, 1999.

Kinotypes - The Martian Kinotypes were a team made up of movies about the planet Mars.. Originally created on January 5, 1997 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1997.

Magazines - The Littleton Magazines were a team made up of small magazines. Originally created on September 10, 1998 the team was deactivated on November 30, 1999.

Metaphors - The New Kingdom Metaphors were a team made up of characters derived from fairy tales. Originally created on November 30, 1983 the team was deactivated on November 30, 1984.

Meteors - The Symboltown Meteors were a team made up of characters from myths. Originally created on November 30, 1983 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1995.

MINSTRELS - The VALHALLA MINSTRELS were created by Daniel Okrent on January 24, 2001. The team represents an ecectic group of artists, musicians, writers and other intellectuals. The MINSTRELS will compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

MOTHERS - The MOTHERLAND MOTHERS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of mothers of mostly famous individuals. The team was created on January 18, 1999. The MOTHERS compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

Mountains - The Black Mountain Mountains were a team made up of individuals associated with Black Mountain College in North Carolina. Originally created on November 5, 1997 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1998.

Muckrakers - The Newshole Muckrakers were a team made up of journalists. The Muckrakers are thematically related to the Numidia Journals, another cosmic baseball team. Originally created on February 19, 1998 by Bob Greiner the Muckrakers were deactivated on December 15, 1998.

NUMBERS - The NUMERAL CITY NUMBERS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of interesting digits. The team was created on November 13, 1999. The NUMBERS compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

Pianists - The Pianoburg Pianists were a team made up of distiguished piano players. Originally created on November 30, 1983 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1995.

PISCES - The PARADISE PISCES were created on October 13, 1981 in Los Angeles, California. As the first cosmic baseball team ever created the PISCES are the Cosmic Baseball Association's flagship team. Until 1998 there was no requirement that a Pisces player be born under the sign of the fish. Since 1998 potential team players must have been born between February 19 and March 21. The PISCES compete in the Cosmic Overleague.

POETICS - The BOLEX POETICS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of experimental filmmakers. The team was created on March 4, 1996. The POETICS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

Postmasters - The Park City Postmasters were a team made up of U.S. Postmasters General. Originally created on December 15, 1984 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1996.

PRE-RAPHAELITES - The PRE-RAPHAELITE BASEBALL CLUB are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of Pre-Raphaelite painters, writers and friends. The team was created on May 26, 1997. The PRE-RAPHAELITES compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

PRESIDENTS - The WASHINGTON PRESIDENTS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of United States Chief Executives. The team was created on May 6, 1982. The PRESIDENTS compete in the Cosmic Overleague.

Roses - The Dharma Roses were a team made up of women associated with the Beat Generation. Thematically and geographically the Roses are related to the Dharma Beats, a cosmic baseball team in the Overleague. Originally created on November 28, 1998 the Roses were deactivated on December 15, 2000.

Shabazzers - The Allahville Shabazzers were a team made up of indiviudals associated with Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam. Originally created on October 16, 1999 the team was deactivated on December 15, 2000.

Songbirds - The Vienna Songbirds were a team made up of composers. Originally created by Dylan Armstrong on December 24. 1995 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1997.

SUPERBAS - The TELECITY SUPERBAS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of television personalities. The team was created on May 26, 1983. The SUPERBAS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

Tarotians - The Ridertown Tarotians were a team comprised of the Major Arcana cards from the Tarot. Originally created on February 23, 1997 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1998.

VANGUARDS - The BHUTAN VANGUARDS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of artists. Originally artists in any field (literature, painting, etc.) were eligible. Today the team drafts mostly graphic and pictorial artists (painters, photographers, etc.) The team was created on December 31, 1981. The VANGUARDS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

VELOCITORS - The SPEED CITY VELOCITORS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of transportation vehicles and pathways. The team was created by Angela Gunn on January 24, 2000. The VELOCITORS compete in the Cosmic Underleague.

Vermeers - The Paintland Vermeers were a team made up of paintings by Johannes Vermeer. Originally created on February 22, 1996 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1996.

VIRGINS - The VESTAL VIRGINS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of interesting and distinguished women. The team was created on July 15, 1982. The VIRGINS compete in the Cosmic Overleague.

WARRIORS - The WONDERLAND WARRIORS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of military personnel. The team was created on August 31, 1983. The WARRIORS compete in the Cosmic Overleague.

WOODSOX - The PSYCHEDELPHIA WOODSTOCKINGS are the Cosmic Baseball Association's team of interesting personalities from the decade of the 1960s. The team was created on May 26, 1983. The WOODSTOCKINGS compete in the Cosmic Middleleague.

Yogis - The Nirvanaville Yogis were a team made up of religious and spiritual individuals. Originally created on November 30, 1983 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1996.

Zappas - The Franklinton Zappas were a team made up of albums released by Frank Zappa. Originally created on March 5, 1997 the team was deactivated on December 15, 1997.


What a pleasure that the cosmic baseball season has begun.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.