Less a band than a brand name for a production team: Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards. Formed from the ashes of their power trio, they (along with Tony Thompson, the Charlie Watts of his generation) snuck into fame via the disco door, but ended up creating a unique sound that outlasted discomania. Individually and collectively, they produced a body of work that spanned generic Top 40, rock, and rhythm and blues, including David Bowie, Mick Jagger, and Diana Ross LPs.

Disco band who were at their most popular in the late 70s, their hits included Good Times, Le Freak, Everybody Dance, My Forbidden Lover and I Want Your Love.
Their music featured breathy vocals over great guitar riffs, fantastic basslines and the inevitable disco beat.
The main members of the band were Nile Rodgers (rhythm guitar and vocals, 1976-present)and Bernard Edwards (bass and vocals, 1976-1996) who wrote most of the songs and Tony Thompson (drums, 1976-present).
The original vocalists for the first few hits were Norma Jean Wright and Alfa Anderson.
Nile and Bernard also did a lot of production work together for other artists including Sister Sledge, Diana Ross and Debbie Harry which very much still had the Chic sound.

Discography:
Chic (1978) - featuring Everybody Dance and Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)
C'est Chic (1978) - featuring I Want Your Love, Le Freak and At Last I Am Free
Risqué (1979) - featuring Good Times, My Feet Keep Dancing and My Forbidden Lover
Real People (1980)
Take It Off (1981)
Tongue In Chic (1982)
Believer (1983)
Chic-ism (1992)

Chic is also a men's magazine put out by the folks who publish Hustler. That might make some people feel a little trepidation, especially if they've seen Taboo, but in fact Chic is a porno mag with some taste--the sort of magazine that you didn't think Larry Flynt could put out. The text doesn't cater overly to white trash, the pictorials aren't gratuitously disgusting, the women are less airbrushed than they are in Hustler, and their bodies don't look fake. (In fact, Chic calls itself "a magazine dedicated to the preservation of real boobs," and though I'm no expert, the claim seems to be true.) Some of the women do look a little trashy and aren't as good-looking as you might expect, but that's the only time you see the touch of Larry Flynt's invisible withered hairy-palmed hand.

Most issues contain a wide range of pictorials, with a good mix of lesbian, guy/girl, solo, and group shots; they usually end with a few good close-ups and there are often several nice masturbation pictures mixed in. If you're specifically looking for lots of shots of penetration, you might want to try Cheri instead, but overall, Chic is a good solid all-around mag.

  • Pictorials: 5-7
  • Girls: natural, sometimes young, sometimes trashy
  • Penetration: yes (finger, dildo, penis)
  • Lesbian: 1-2 pictorials/issue
  • Guy/Girl: 1-2/issue
  • Group: 0-1/issue
  • Fetish: occasional watersports
  • Stories/Articles: occasional how-to articles
know_no_bounds's rating: * * * *

Brand of womans' jeans that were popular and stylish in the late 70's and early 80's. Chic jeans were known for its proportioned-fit system making it easier for women of all sizes to wear, and its logo embroidered on to the back right pocket. An affordable alternative to Jordache and Gloria Vanderbilt during its heyday, Chic is now owned by the same company that makes Lee and Wrangler jeans. They are still sold in major discount retailers including Kmart.

Chic is one of those odd words, like bad, that has two opposite meanings. As an adjective, it means what is current and fashionable. As a noun, it describes the elegant and unchanging fundamentals of style. Chic as a concept is our time's definition of timeless.

It may be easiest to explain chic by comparing it to what it replaced, the trussed up ultra-femininity of the 1800s. Chic emphasizes expensive simplicity above all. This is in line with what history suggests, that the fashion of one period tends to be a reaction against existing fashion.

Although the name most associated with chic is Coco Chanel's, the embodiment of chic most imagine is likely to be Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly, in her black dress and updo. If we were to try and condense chic down to one outfit, it would probably be very close to this. The refined practicality of upswept hair, a black shift dress whose impeccable tailoring makes it more flattering than an evening gown, bare tan limbs bordered by single strands of jewels or pearls, low black pumps with champagne stem heels.

The backbone of chic is quality. A little black dress or trenchcoat done badly are just so much fabric. Chic's in joke is transforming the most unassuming of garments into revelations by cunning use of cut and details. A piece of clothing is chic when it emphasizes everything a woman's got while revealing none of it. A garment can be called chic if it is comfortable, moves easily and beautifully, yet still expresses a sense of restraint and propriety.

The philosophy extends to shoes and accessories. Less is more. A huge flashy jewel may delight the senses and bring a glow to the face of the woman wearing it, but it isn't chic.

Already, fashion has begun to hint at what will replace chic - the klutzy Bohemian wardrobe of Carrie Bradshaw, Karen O's deconstructionist spacegirl - but the climate hasn't yet become hospitable to such heretical ideas. Most likely the change will occur in the midst of tumult affecting more than just fashion. That's the way it's gone for centuries. When that time comes, Holly and Coco will be our new Gibson Girls, curiosities espousing an ideal that in hindsight seems ridiculous.

Fashion is made to become unfashionable.
- Coco Chanel

Chic (?), n. [F.]

Good form; style. [Slang]

 

© Webster 1913


Chic (?), a. [F. Cf. Chic, n.]

Original and in good taste or form. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.