Main character of the comic strip "Peanuts" created by Charles M. Schultz. His many friends include Snoopy, Linus, Lucy, Pigpen, Woodstock, and if you count his sister as friend, Sally as well. Also notable in that his parents speak complete gibberish, much like some of ours seemed to do when we were younger.

The archetypical loser who never really succeeds in anything and is abused in various ways by everyone. He's popular because we all feel like that sometimes, on a bad day.

Whenever I feel the world is not fair, I think of when Charles Schultz invented the football situation with Lucy and Charlie Brown. That in a nutshell summed up what is wrong with this world. You never get what you want or what you think you deserve.

Dreaming of having that Ultra Mega Computer drives me up the wall! Everyday, it's there, teasing me. Like Lucy waving that football to Charlie Brown, it's calling me to come and get it. And whenever I'm so close to having it wrapped, something happens and it's back on the shelf.

When can I ever get it? Is it always the oh so close yet so far syndrome? Charles Schulz has already passed away and Charlie Brown still has not gotten to that football. I might be wrong here and Mr. Schultz did create a cartoon where Charlie did get to kick the football. But what if I am right? Does it mean that with all the reprints of the Peanuts cartoon, Charlie will be stuck in this perpetual cycle where he never gets to kick that ball?

A lot of analogies do come up when the football cartoon is taken up. Some are relevant like world peace, others trivial like me ever getting to level 4 or higher. Would time correct this? It didn't for Charlie Brown. Would it for us?

Charlie Brown's date of birth is up in the air: he was six years old in 1950 and six years old in 2000. (Although, according to waverider37: "In one strip, Charlie Brown was actually 8 and a half... it was in a story where he left the baseball field, feeling a little woozy, and went to the hospital. During his stay Peppermint Patty confesses her love for him, and Lucy promises never to pull the football away. (Of course, she kept her promise... and Charlie Brown kicked her hand.) Remember that one?")

We do know that his father is a barber and that his grandfather was in the U. S. Army during World War II. His sister is Sally Brown. Contrary to popular belief, he is not bald: Schulz has stated that he is actually very blond.

He appears to live in Charles M. Schulz's home town of St. Paul, Minnesota, and goes to James Street Elementary School, as do most of the Peanuts characters. He is in Mrs. Donovan (not Miss Othmar)'s class... you know, with the speech impediment that makes her voice sound like a trombone.

He manages a baseball team and is their pitcher: line drives tend to disrobe him. His favorite baseball player is Joe Schlabotnik, although he also likes Sandy Koufax and Joe Garagiola.

During the summer, he always goes to camp. In fact, whenever he isn't in school, he seems to be at camp.

He is madly in love with The Little Red-Haired Girl, who doesn't even know he exists... but he's too wishy-washy to do anything about it.

In the comic strip, he has never kicked Lucy's football, has never gotten a kite into the air, and has never received a valentine on Valentine's Day—but he has done all of these things on television, so perhaps he should have considered a media change by now.

His dog is named Snoopy, but a thorough discussion of Snoopy is WAY beyond the scope of this node.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.