Chamberlain, who consisted of singer David Moore, guitarists Adam Rubenstein and Clay Snider, drummer Chuck Walker and bassist Curtis Mead, was a Midwestern rock band that sang what we always wanted to say but couldn't ever figure out just how to do it. Known as Split Lip from 1990 to 1995 they changed their name to Chamberlain and put out two LPs on the Doghouse label as well as a rerelease of Fate's Got a Driver, and at the end of their career in 2001, they released a record Exit 263 on Ignition records.

Throughout their extensive discography, the lyrics have the recurring theme of the journey. Trains and cars and long roads have their place in many songs, as well as the more intangible parallel of our lives, writing about loves lost or never had in the first place, more dealing with memories of what was than either a good or bad judgment of the present. The music is relevant to everyone, and with their mix of punk rock and classic rock and roll, they have their own unique sound that is very easy to listen to without getting bored or feeling out of place in just about any setting. They are one of the most mature, intelligent groups of the 90s in independent music and even though their time is up for recording and touring together, their music is still around and is well worth listening to.

Discography:

Split Lip

Chamberlain

Cham"ber*lain (?), n. [OF. chamberlain, chambrelencF. chambellon, OHG. chamerling, chamarlinc, G. kammerling, kammer chamber (fr. L. camera) + -ling. See Chamber, and -ling.] [Formerly written chamberlin.]

1.

An officer or servant who has charge of a chamber or chambers.

2.

An upper servant of an inn.

[Obs.]

3.

An officer having the direction and management of the private chambers of a nobleman or monarch; hence, in Europe, one of the high officers of a court.

4.

A treasurer or receiver of public money; as, the chamberlain of London, of North Wales, etc.

The lord chamberlain of England, an officer of the crown, who waits upon the sovereign on the day of coronation, and provides requisites for the palace of Westminster, and for the House of Lords during the session of Parliament. Under him are the gentleman of the black rod and other officers. His office is distinct from that of the lord chamberlain of the Household, whose functions relate to the royal housekeeping.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.