55eme edition du Festival du Film de Cannes, 2002

The honorable members of the jury
President of the Jury
David Lynch, Director

Members of the Jury
Régis Wargnier, Director
Claude Miller, Director
Raoul Ruiz, Director
Sharon Stone, Actress
Christine Hakim, Actress
Michelle Yeoh, Actress
Bille August, Director
Walter Salles, Director


Awards

Palme d'Or (best film): Roman Polanski's "The Pianist" (Poland/France). About a pianist hiding in the Warsaw ghetto, who afterwards get saved by a music loving SS officer.

Grand Prix : "The Man Without a Past" (Mies vailla menneisyyttä) by Aki Kaurismäki (Finland). WWWWolf (special thanks) says "Summary? A person suffering from a total amnesia befriends with poor people and struggles to find out his true identity and past. Lots of amazing word use, interesting characters, and great insight on the life of really poor people. It was a very funny movie - but also grimly realistic. Absolutely fantastic, deserved every good review it got here and elsewhere =)"

Best actress : Kati Outinen in "The Man Without a Past" by Aki Kaurismäki (Finland)

Best actor : Olivier Gourmet in "Le Fils" (The son) by Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne(Belgium). When the Dardenne brothers won the Palme d'or in 1999 for "Rosetta" (a poor film, no pun intended, in my humble fan opinion), they promised their all time supporting actor, Olivier Gourmet, that HE would be the hero of the next film instead of playing the villain. As of now I have not yet seen the movie yet, but having seen his two previous performances, I am sure he's earned it.

Best director: Im Kwon-Taek for "Chihwaseon" (South Corea) and Paul Thomas Anderson for "Punch-Drunk Love" (USA)

Best screenplay : Paul Laverty for Ken Loach's "Sweet Sixteen" (GB)

Prize of the jury : "Divine Intervention" by Elia Suleiman (Palestinian)

Prix "du 55ème anniversaire" (a special prize): "Bowling for Columbine" de Michael Moore (USA)

Camera d'Or (first film): "Bord de Mer" by Julie Lopes-Curval (France) presented in the section "Quinzaine des realisateurs"

Special mention for "Japon" by Carlos Reygadas (Mexico), presented in the Quinzaine des réalisateurs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.