Chord's Burrito Bowl


This is a redevelopment of a previous recipe for the sake of those of us who must eat gluten-free.

Having ditched the flour tortillas, and discovered that the non-flour tortillas I could get from the grocery store were chewy crap, and that their corn tortillas were flimsy garbage, I decided to just throw the burrito filling into a bowl, add tomatoes and salsa and sour cream, and call it good. And it was good...but it didn't actually gain perfection until I looked up how to make quesadillas and was told "here's the basic Mexican spice mix".

Spices! My anglo ass completely forgot about spices! My anglo ass never LEARNED how to add spices! I've been fumbling in the dark towards a proper Mexican cuisine for the past three years!

So here's what my breakfast looks like these days.

 

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup rice OR 1 cup of that burrito filling mentioned above

2 small sausage patties

1/4 cup shredded cheese

7 cherry tomatoes

1 tbsp diced onion

1 big ol' glob of sour cream

1 splat of salsa

1/4 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp smoked paprika

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

 

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat sausage patties in microwave or on stove. Dice patties into 1cm cubes.

2. Place rice or burrito filling in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on standard setting for 1 minute.

3. While bowl of rice is still warm, place shredded cheese into bowl. It ought to melt to cover the rice.

4. Add diced onion, sour cream, and salsa.

5. Finely chop the tomatoes and place in bowl.

6. Add oregano, cumin, onion powder, paprika and pepper.

7. Mix thoroughly.

 

Serves one.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.