I do not remember now when I discovered the joys of being a member of the British Council. It must have been late in my high school years, or when I was a freshman in college.

At that time, the British Council was located in New Manila, a mere 5 minute jeepney ride from our house. For a small fee, I was allowed to borrow four books from their library, and keep them for a month. To me, that singular priviledge was a great treasure.

The Philippines, you must remember, is a developng nation and does not have any real public library system. And books were expensive for this student on a monthly allowance. It was the British Council that filled my immense need for books, and I spent many many happy hours in that place.

As an added bonus, the British Council had books that were not easily found in Manila's typically US-centric bookstores. It was there that I discovered the joy of reading the likes of Terry Pratchett and Iain Banks.

I have learned much from the books at the British Council, many of which I wouldn't have been able to read without that wonderful place. And so I am forever grateful. I do not know if there is a British Council in every place the UK has diplomatic relations with, but I do know that there is a British Council in both Singapore and Hong Kong. If there's one near where you live, go and visit. It may just be worth you while.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.