The Bodleian Library is the principal library at the University of Oxford. There is one central location (the Central Bodleian Library, involving multiple buildings), as well as the following nearby satellite locations:

Sir Thomas Bodley founded the Bodleian Library in 1602, after he quit politics for something much more interesting: libraries. Allowing it to be used not only by the university, but also by the entire "Republic of the Learned," Bodley innovated not only the purpose of a library, but new ways to coax benefactors into giving it books. Even today, it is possible for someone unaffiliated with Oxford to carry out research at most portions of the Bodleian Library.


I have always been dying to get my greasy, hairy palms on Ludwig Traube's Vorlesungen und Abhandlungen, because, boy, do I love philology and palaeography, and I also happen to read German. Do they have it?

Check the catalogue! Navigate a browser to http://lib.ox.ac.uk/olis and search. Type in Vorlesungen und Abhandlungen, select All Titles, and choose potential responses until you meet success. You just may find this information:

Location:
Bodleian
BOD D.Humphrey

Call Number:
R.Pal.16. 7

Status:
Available

Briefly bask in the glow of your miniscule accomplishment. Ahh, that's nice. Right, now we have more work to do.

Ludwig Traube is about to give me an orgasm. His work is available at some part of the Bodleian Library and I have its call number. I will just dash over to Oxford and bring it home to rub against my private bits.

Not so fast, my philologically-inclined friend. Chances are, you won't be able to take your precious, coveted item of literature home with you to love and cherish in blessed, filthy solitude. In this case, you will have to share your love with the others located in Duke Humfrey's Library. You can find this out by clicking on the key to location codes link located exactly where it belongs on the OLIS page, between the word "Location" and the actual code. This code starts with BOD, so our beloved book is located somewhere deep within the bowels of the Central Bodleian Library.

I went to the Central Bodleian Library, and I see three big buildings and a little building. It is time to go into big buildings and start my blessed communion with Lovely Ludwig.

Don't get your panties all Mobius'd up, but we're not through. To gain access to read in the Bodleian's Library, you need a card. To get one, go to the Admissions Office in the Clarendon Building. This is the small building in between the big ones, right on the corner of Hatte Street and Broad Street. The Admissions Office is located in the northeast corner of this building.

Are you or were you a student at Oxford? Do you work at Oxford? Can you convince Oxford, through written recommendation, that you have good reason to be fussing around in their pristine and orderly library? Do you have money, proof that you are poor, or proof that you are retired? These are the sorts of things you will need in order for the Bodleian Library to want to let you come in to play. Having aquired your card, you are ready to move forward.

Oh boy! Ludwig Traube, can you smell my sweet proximity?

Yes. Take a shower. Then, put away any backpacks, bags, suitcases, or garbage bags you might be carrying. You can't take them into Duke Humfrey's Library. Do you have a notebook for notes? Great. Do you have a pen? Lose it. It's pencil or nothing from here on in. The security measures are tight, but it will be worth it soon. Few parts of the library are so strict, but security measures and hours vary, so it is best to check beforehand to determine both of these.

The Old Library building is located next to the Clarendon Building where you got your card. The particular area of this library to which you are headed is located in the rear, or southwest portion. To the south is the Radcliffe Camera, and to the north the New Library is located. But with beautiful Ludwig Traube singing a sweet siren song, architecture isn't interesting anymore.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.