An excellent dish
. I always like beef
, and the sauce made with bitter melon
and black beans
is truly excellent, giving it a very heavy flavor
. Not really that bitter
, more like a "vegetably" taste that goes well with the meaty taste of beef
. I always eat this with rice
, and plenty of green tea
. This is a dinner
dish. It is almost a guaranteed order for me when I eat at a Chinese restaurant
. I've never actually made this myself, but my grandmother
has a good recipe
, and my mum
makes it all the time.
- Marinate the beef in a mixture of 2.5 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of sherry, and 2 tablespoons of starch
- Cut the bitter melons in two, lengthwise, and de-seed them. Slice them. Add the salt, mix it up, let it stand for 10 mintues then wash.
- Add the baking powder to some boiling water. Parboil the melon to medium softness. Run cold water over the melon then put it aside.
- Heat the oil in a semi-heated wok (not too hot), stir-fry the black beans for 30 seconds or so. Toss in the melons, stir-fry it some more.
- Remove the stuff from the wok and wash it. Put in the oil and heat it up. Stir-fry the beef until nearly cooked. Toss in the beans and the melons and continue stir-frying until it is well-cooked.
- Serve it up, along with tea. The fragrance of the tea goes with the semi-bitterness of this dish, and rice goes with the sauce.