go back to Smith's Houses

When Baldwin House and her twin sister house Albright were built at the turn of the century, on-campus housing was available to less than half of Smith's students. This ancient brick, ivy-covered building on Bedford Terrace was constructed to become home away from home to 76 students that live in college housing.

When the weather is pleasant, students tend to eat meals on the porch and front steps. On the first floor of Baldwin is a spacious living room and wooden dining room, and a comfortable foyer. Baldwin residents eat all of their meals in Baldwin's Dining Room. A collection of old Smith yearbooks, Baldwin scrapbooks, and books donated by former Baldwin residents fill the living room's bookcases.

Upstairs, there are 50 single and 13 double rooms. Each floor has 18 rooms. Additionally, each floor has a kitchenette, the third floor kitchenette having a microwave. The bathrooms feature cubbies for each student to store her soap, shampoo and toothbrush. The finished basement has seven single rooms and its own lounge.

Baldwin is about a five-minute walk to the center of campus, and is less than a block away from Serio's Pharmacy and State Street Fruit Store. It's about a four minute walk away to downtown Northampton, which puts the cafes, bookstores, and shops right at Baldwinites' fingertips.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.