Aristocrat: A member of a ruling class or apart of the nobility rank.

Near and in the 1790's, the French Revolution is going on. The idea of the Revolution was to kill off the Aristocrats by the Madame Guillotine. An execution was held daily for hundreds of aristocrats throughout the country. The aristocrats were of any royalty or any high political 'nobility' leaders in favor of the monarchy. The French would shorten the name to aristocrat, with the same meaning. Thousands were killed under this Revolution, this time period was called the Reign of Terror. Aristocrats were some times given a trial to decide whether they were on the side of the monarch, but most of the time no trial was held or at least the trial was too quick and speedy to be realistic. The trials were most of the time fake and just for the public to be entertained. After the trial, the aristocrat if found guilty would be executed. Some lucky aristocrats were lucky to escape this terror and fled to the British territory. Britain eventually declared war on France when the King was executed as an aristocrat.

A*ris"to*crat [F. aristocrate. See Aristocracy.]

1.

One of the aristocracy or people of rank in a community; one of a ruling class; a noble.

2.

One who is overbearing in his temper or habits; a proud or haughty person.

A born aristocrat, bred radical. Mrs. Browning.

3.

One who favors an aristocracy as a form of government, or believes the aristocracy should govern.

His whole family are accused of being aristocrats. Romilly.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.