The stars at night shine bright above La Ciudád, for La Ciudád’s nightlife is conducted underground or behind closed, curtained windows. The people who stroll around in the starlight do not clasp hands or make any gestures of affection. When the stars are so bright as to faintly light the sleeping earth below, the people of the city may gaze out of their windows, safely behind glass, and marvel at the beauty of the sky – but the wiser of them do not gaze for long before drawing their blackout curtains closed. No one with sense goes out.

And yet, there were Maggie and Alejandra, out on Division Road, hand in hand, and Mojito was riding on Alejandra’s shoulders. They were all dressed in their police uniforms, so they had some manner of protection – as well as a couple men from Los Hijos, moving ahead of them, while Maria and a couple of her nuns took the lead.

Maggie had reluctantly exercised her abilities further, and relented on the police officers, declaring that they would all be cats until the morning -- at which point all the people of Los Hijos would be safe at the shrine. Ideally. It was taking a fairly long time to escort every civilian to the care of Madame Balam, when it had to be two-by-two for the sake of discretion. Most of the things Maggie would have been able to do to speed up the process – shift everyone straight into the forest, heal the injuries of the infirm, conjure a trolley, turn everyone into horses, turn everyone into marbles and carry them – would have increased the heat from Los Ojos and looked way too conspicuous, even if the cops were out of the picture for the moment. Some other government agency would see.

Or, as it happened, some other technically non-governmental group of ruffians, because in the faint light of the bright stars, Maggie could see a large group of young men blocking the street, all holding rifles. And before them stood a blond-bearded man in a white suit.

"I think we’ve been found out," said Alejandra.

"We can try to make a wedge to plow through them," said Sister Pulque.

"And since when have you ever been on the offense?" said Mojito. "Just let me at them. Those sons of –"

"You?" said Maggie. "We had to save you once from being killed by those men. This is your new life, lad. Do not let it go down the same path as what brought most of your people to a sorry end. You have a chance to live better now."

"Well I want someone to kick their sorry asses," said one of the men being escorted. "I lost my entire family to those assholes, and then they stole what little cash I’d stored away, and then they stole my flowerpots."

The other man expressed the same sentiment and the same grievances. It was possible, even likely, that non-violence was not the majority desire among the remaining people of Los Hijos. Maggie was inclined to ignore that thought and look for a more discreet and less bloodthirsty way of getting around the Sons of the Sea – but all of her options would have required more conjuring, and at some point she was going to meet the same fate as Rafael if she wasn’t careful. She wracked her brains for anything that was a balance between effective and discreet. "What can I get away with?"

Alejandra let go of her hand, transferring it to Maggie’s shoulder. "Let someone else do the work for you, dear friend. I have done much fighting of my own in defense of these people, but all the skill I could learn and the strength I could build only permitted me to defeat one person at a time. Give me the strength to overpower these men, and let me do what I have always wished."

"You’re talking all fancy," said Maggie. "I guess you’re serious. But if it gets you erased –"

"I am willing to take that risk."

"What if – " Maggie’s words caught in her throat. She looked into Alejandra’s deep, dark eyes. "What if I’m not willing to risk losing you that easily?"

"Then you will have no reward," said Alejandra.

"Tempting to just take you somewhere far away and let everything fall apart," murmured Maggie. "Cruel, yet tempting."

"Hmmm," said Alejandra. "But if you do that, I wouldn’t give you access to these." She raised her arm and flexed a bicep.

"Ah," said Maggie, her face growing hot. "Huh. Um. Well. I guess we, uh, have to see this through then. Alright." She glanced at the stars. "I will say that Alejandra de Surdeville has ten times the strength she had just a moment ago." The night sky became a little brighter.

"Do me!" said Mojito. "Do me!"

"Excuse me?" said Maggie. "Do we simply demand things, young man?"

Mojito rolled his eyes. "Please."

"I don’t know," said Maggie. "You don’t seem sincere."

"Pleeeeaaaaaaase."

"There you go," said Maggie. "I declare that Mojito Lopez Noyr de Surdeville cannot be touched by any adult that has ill intent." The night sky became brighter still. The stars were blobs of light, now, instead of pinpricks.

"Yay!" said Mojito.

The bricks of the buildings around them began to vanish one by one.

"Boo," said Mojito.

"We’re definitely spotted now," said Sister Pulque.

"Might as well go on the offense," said Alejandra, "while we still have ground to stand on. Maggie, get everyone else out of the way. I’ll be handling this." She stepped out in front of the nuns and raised her fists.

"Truly I would rather be above all this," said Maggie. "So I will say we’re standing on a rooftop."

So it was that Maggie, Maria, the thirteen nuns, and the two people from Los Hijos were standing close to the edge of a roof, before a set of air compressors, at the moment that the very earth vibrated with the impact of Alejandra’s fists. Everyone stumbled as the building shook, one of the men nearly falling off before Sister Batida grabbed him.

Maggie was just able to see the pavement ripple in a shockwave around Alejandra, swiftly knocking all of the young men off their feet, save for Diego himself – yet when Alejandra charged towards him, he was not fool enough to stand his ground. He stepped aside, allowing the woman to charge straight into the mass of young men getting to their feet. Some of them went flying; some of them dodged out of the way. They closed in about her, and she was lost from view – save for, in one second and the next, a pale arm striking upward, knocking a fellow into the air.

"Not exactly the most tactical tactic," said Maria.

"We might be able to get in the way of those fellows," said Sister Batanga.

"Can I come?" said Mojito. "I can help too."

"Absolutely not," said Maggie.

Mojito pouted and gave Maggie his best puppy-dog eyes.

"Don’t give me that," said Maggie. "Things are vanishing down there. Look." She pointed to the street, where half of the buildings seemed to have half of their bricks missing, with more disappearing all the time. "You could easily get disappeared."

"But I could also get disappeared up here," said Mojito. "And If I can help mama defeat all those guys down there, then she can get back to you faster without having to get magicked up back here. And then we can get everyone to the forest."

"Alright alright," said Maggie. "If you don’t manage to get done in five minutes you’re coming right back to me, understand?"

"Yes Mother." Mojito trotted over to Sister Batida, who took him up into her arms and – leapt off the roof, the twelve other nuns following. Maggie nearly forgot to conjure a trampoline for them to land on, such was her shock.

And the stars got a bit brighter.

Now it was the thirteen nuns down in the scrum, getting in the way of the progress of any of the young men who were trying to get back in the fight, being pushed aside here and there only by all of Diego’s might. Except that now Mojito was running around making faces at everyone, causing a few of them to chase after him. So the force of men that had been united against Alejandra was now fraying, and she was beginning to gain the upper hand, second by second.

"It’s nice," said Maria, looking over the roof line. "But it’s not a crusade."

"Crusade?" said Maggie. "You make yourself sound like an actual woman of the church."

"You should hear her give a sermon," said one of the men from Los Hijos. "If she’s not talking about endurance she’s talking about crusades."

"Hang on," said Maggie. "I thought you left the actual Church."

"Old habits die hard," said Maria.

"Was that a pun?" said Maggie. "Was that a nun pun?"

Maria’s face, as usual, betrayed not a smidgen of emotion. Yet one of her eyes closed for a brief moment. Then she continued as if Maggie had said nothing. "You did confess your sin back at the pub, even though it wasn’t a formal confession. I could arrange some penance as well, if it would make you feel better."

"I may need to set up an actual confession after all." Maggie looked down at the scene below – where Alejandra was now within a ring of nuns with Diego, matching him blow for blow, while Mojito continued to run around the outside kicking shins. The two of them were so brave – and Alejandra so beautiful, in the heat of battle. Maggie shook herself. "I fear I have sinned, in helping all this happen. I might be too easy to manipulate."

"You do seem easily convinced by a pretty girl," said Maria.

Maggie’s face grew hot once more. "Does it show – am I that obvious?"

"I have seen how you look at her."

"But –"

"As for battle," said Maria, "I would like to point that I do frequently speak of crusades –"

"Surely revenge is a sin?"

"Crusades are far beyond personal revenge," said Maria. "They have a holy cause, even if their methods are prone to sin. Our crusade, yours and mine, shall be against Los Ojos -- and I will expect a high standard of behavior from you. I will charge you with the responsibility of seeing it through to the end. I believe, after what I have seen of you, that it is possible for my convent to work with you closely towards our shared goals. If you desire a formal confession, now, and you are truly penitent of what you have done, I think you have the ability to show it. You were more than remorseful back in the pub."

"I’ll tell you how I atone," said Maggie. "I try to cut to the chase, here and now. I try to cut through the story and get us to where we want to go, instead of wasting time. I declare that you, me, Alejandra, Mojito, Benigno, Madame Balam, and all our people from Los Hijos, are in the City of Lights."

In a blink, all the world about them changed. The buildings about them got taller, blaring light from many windows. Neon advertising signs stretched from street level to high above their heads. The lights of automobiles rushing down the asphalt made the avenues a river of moving illumination. Alejandra and Mojito, still in the middle of the street faced a truck barreling towards them.

In the next moment, all the light vanished, and all was as before – bright stars above, shadows below, silence all around, save for the curses of young men surrounding two people who had just re-appeared in their midst.

"What the hell was that?" said Maria.

"That was a failed effort," said Maggie. "Let me try again. We’re in the city of lights."

The confusion of light washed over them once more. Maggie looked down at the street. The young men had been taken along this time. A car was about to strike one of them. Maggie opened her mouth to utter a quick save – 

But once again, the scene blinked back to what it had been, the sleeping expanse of La Ciudad – only with porches missing, roof cornices missing, rooftop satellite dishes vanishing one by one – and the stars even brighter than before.

"Dammit," said Maggie. "I should have known it was too easy. Is it Rafael or Los Ojos blocking me?"

"Look," said Maria, "your lady and your child have been granted the revenge they have both craved. Bring them up here and we can think of our next moves."

"Would an incomplete victory give them true satisfaction?" said Maggie.

"Are you now in approval of violence?"

There was a creaking sound around them. Maggie retreated from the roofline and looked all over her surroundings, hoping to catch the source of the sound. But there was nothing but the air-compressor units. "What was that?"

Something tapped her on the shoulder. She whirled around. An air-compressor unit had sprouted metal legs with wicked claws, and its grille had become a mouth of sharp fangs. It clattered towards her. "Holy son of a –" Maggie backed away, straight into Maria.

"Retreat," said one of the men of Los Hijos, only to back right off the roof, falling down to the trampoline below. He bounced up to near the roofline, and his companion tried to haul him back up – only to be dragged down with him.

"That settles those two," said Maggie.

"But unless we want to be down near the Sons of the Sea," said Maria, "then we’re stuck." She wrapped a stone-solid arm around Maggie and led her backwards to the center of the roof. "I wouldn’t be half surprised if this was the doing of Los Ojos. I assume you want to resolve this without any violence. Got any ideas, my daughter?"

"Hang on," said Maggie, "I’m as old as you!"

"You came into existence this morning."

"After existing previously and being erased twice!"

"Which is it, then?"

The air-compressor units gnashed their metal teeth, a harsh ringing sound. All around Maggie and Maria, they crept closer.

"It’s a plot hole," said Maggie. "And so is the existence of these air-compressor units, because they’re supposedly created by Los Ojos, who can’t create anything. Therefore, the air-compressor units will fall through a bunch of plot holes."

The metal monsters paused, and then bowed, as if looking down. Only then did they fall through the holes in the roof that had opened up beneath them – vanishing without a sound, and the holes closed behind them.

"Heck yeah," said Maggie, pumping a fist. "Non-violent conflict resolution."

"Which might only work on things that are related to plot holes," said Maria. "Such as yourself, potentially."

"Well that’s –" Something tapped Maggie on the shoulder again. She shrugged off Maria’s arm and turned around, to discover the entire gaggle of metal monsters standing there, gnashing their teeth. "Hey! I got rid of you guys! You were supposed to go away!"

"You sent them through a plot hole," said Maria, as she got in front of Maggie. "Past that point, nothing needs to make too much sense, it just has to be interesting in some way. In this case, amusing."

The metal monsters began to creep closer. "This is amusing?" said Maggie. "Why, I’ll show you amusing." She took Maria by the hand and backed up a few meters. "There’s a big puddle of lava in your way, you metal monsters!"

Maggie found herself nearly scorched by the sudden heat, and backed up a few more meters, dragging Maria with her. Maria’s robe had already begun to smoke at the hem. "Ah," said Maggie. "Whoops."

"You’re going to burn this entire apartment complex down in a hot second if you don’t get rid of that stuff," said Maria.

"Alright alright, uh – there’s a big old bathtub of water that just tipped over the lava!"

The stars grew even brighter, and lo and behold, a porcelain bathtub appeared in the air. It fell onto the lava and cracked in half, releasing its payload – which mostly flashed to steam, creating a roar of noise and a hot driving wind that drove Maggie still further back. A great cloud of water vapor obscured the metal monsters, but their claws could still be heard, clicking over the hot stone.

"I said get rid of that stuff." Maria drew a pistol from the folds of her vestments. "Not douse it. Do I have to shoot these things to take care of them?"

"You’re officially the weirdest priestess I’ve ever seen," said Maggie. "Alright, so the lava is in the ocean."

The heat disappeared, swept away by a sudden wind that brushed the water vapor to the side. There were revealed the metal monsters, on the other side of a great gaping hole in the roof. From within Maggie could hear the fire alarm ringing, and people were pouring out of the building. "It’s alright," said Maggie, "the metal monsters here can’t get over the hole." The metal monsters slowly extended their legs, until they could grasp the other side of the hole. "Oh come on!"

"Hey," said Maria, "for all you know, this is just a big misunderstanding and they want to be your friends."

A harsh ringing went up as the Metal Monsters gnashed their teeth.

"They have a hell of a way of showing it," said Maggie. "Alright, that does it. Alejandra has a walkie-talkie on the same frequency as mine." A walkie-talkie appeared in her hand. She pushed the button. "Alejandra, I need you and Mojito up here, pronto. Over."

Ksshhhht. "What? Come on, the Sons of the Sea are starting to retreat! We’re winning here!"

"And things are perilous up on the roof," said Maggie. "Be a proper valiant knight and get up here and save your beautiful damsel."

Maggie watched the street below as a dozen young men were knocked aside by Alejandra’s charge. The woman reached the apartment building and leapt, clearing the power lines and the roofline in a single bound, and not even giving Mojito a jolt as she landed on the roof with him in her arms. She set the child down. "So what’s this about, then?"

Maggie pointed at the approaching air-compressor units. "Please keep those – those metal monsters away from me."

"Yeah," said Mojito, hopping out of Alejandra’s arms. "I always wanted to fight a Metal Monster!" he punched the air a few times for emphasis. "Come at us, monsters! We just beat a bunch of gangsters and we’re not done!"

"But they’re so cute," said Alejandra.

"Excuse me," said Maggie, "what? I thought you thought I was cute! Do I look like a robot to you? Wait, maybe I am one and I had no idea. Oh dear."

Alejandra giggled. "Different kind of cute. But if you want me to fight them…" She cracked her knuckles. Then she paused. "Wait. Why do you want me to fight them?"

"She thinks they want to eat her," said Maria. "Or something."

Maggie pointed to the Metal Monsters, who were slowly reaching the near side of the hole, gnashing their teeth with a great ringing sound all the way. "You can’t possibly tell me that that is supposed to be friendly."

Mojito stood between Maggie and the Metal Monsters. "Don’t worry, Mother, I shall stand stalwart in your defense! Hi-yah!" He jumped in the air and did a flip for emphasis. "No mortal man is a match for my kong-fu!"

"I think the flip has to include a kick," said Alejandra. "Maggie, are you sure we have no other options? You’re the creative one here, come on."

Maggie crossed her arms. "And you’re the violent one, so excuse me for thinking you would actually be willing to stand in my defense, like Mojito here."

Alejandra crossed her arms in turn. "Answer the question, please. Are we truly out of options?"

The Metal Monsters were slowly creeping towards Maggie and company. Maggie looked up at the stars, which were to bright that they might as well have been miniature moons, casting their light to the world below. Then she looked down at La Ciudad, where entire buildings were vanishing every second. "We’re certainly running out of space and time!" She glanced at the forest, which didn’t have a single tree out of place. "But I think there is one place of safety. So let us say, first, that every resident of Los Hijos is now at the great shrine at the center of the Forest of the Faithful –" Once more the stars grew brighter. "– and that all the light from these stars is gathered into a big ol’ bridge, extending from this rooftop to the Forest of the Faithful. And we can get up it and the Metal Monsters can’t so we’ll be fine. Behold!"

A great arc of white light appeared, casting a glow over all the city, at the same time that the stars disappeared. "Alright everybody, let’s move." She scooped Mojito into her arms and stepped up onto the arc, looking back and nodding her head towards the bridge to beckon Alejandra and Maria to follow.

And so our intrepid heroes made their way up the arc, up and up and up, to the very top –

Where the sky was no longer obscured by the light of stars, and as Maggie peered into the darkness of the horizon, she thought she could just see an eye, half above the horizon line, looking vaster than anything she had ever seen. Indeed, there were five of them.

Something tapped her on the shoulder.

She whirled around and there were the Metal Monsters...all of them. ‘Oh for crying out loud! I specifically said the Metal Monsters couldn’t get up here! What gives!"

"Um," said Maria. "If they’re not actually monsters, would your wording apply to them?"

Maggie opened her mouth to object, but then she paused. She turned to one of the Metal Monsters and squinted at it. If it didn’t have eyes, she couldn’t tell much if had a friendly face. But twice now these things could have got the drop on her, and they chose instead to reveal themselves. Either they thought the whole thing was funny, or..."Let’s say I can actually understand what these things are saying."

A harsh ringing sound as the Metal Creature gnashed its metal teeth. Frenz?

"You...want to be a friend."

More gnashing. All frenz.

"You’re all a bunch of Metal Friends," said Maggie. She clapped her hands over her ears as the Metal Friends gnashed their teeth. Frenz, frenz.

"Aw darn," said Mojito. "Can I fight them anyway?"

Gnash, gnash. Sparring match against squishy child. Conflicted.

"They’ll think about it," said Maggie. "But, ah, maybe we ought to get going." For the end of the Starlight Bridge was crumbling away into sparkles, that rose up to the heavens and became stars once more. And the disintegration was getting closer. She scooped Mojito into her arms and ran towards the other end. But that end was fast disappearing as well. "Come on, everyone."

They raced towards the end of the bridge, or wherever the end would meet them – just above the edge of the forest, as it happened. "No worries," said Maggie, "I can jump far enough to reach the center of this place, and bring you all with me." She transferred Mojito to one arm and scooped up Alejandra with the other. Maria threw her arms around Maggie’s neck. Then Maggie crouched, and leapt, sailing high and far over the trees.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.