= 2001 = 2002 = 2003 = 2004 = 2006 = 2007 = 2008 = 2009 = 2010 = 2011= 2012 = 2014 = 2015 = 2016 = 2017 = 2018 = 2019 = 2020 =

Round One - Conference Quarterfinals

Western Conference

#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Anaheim Ducks

These two teams had never met in the playoffs before, but the fact that the Sharks had won the President's Trophy - another first - pointed to a dinner of roast duck. Both were anemic in the Sharks-won season series, only scoring 12 goals in 6 games. Would the playoffs be the same?

GAME ONE: ANAHEIM 2 at SAN JOSE 0 -April 16 | Highlights | Photos
It was a goalie duel until 5:08 of the 3rd when Scott Niedermayer broke the tie with a power play goal, putting the Ducks up 1-0. With 2:25 left Ryan Getzlaf, coming out of the penalty box added an insurance goal - wristing a 30-footer - as Anaheim goaltender Jonas Hiller stopped all 35 shots he faced. Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov stopped 15 of only 17 Duck shots.

GAME TWO: ANAHEIM 3 at SAN JOSE 2 -April 19 | Highlights | Photos
The Sharks are left scratching their fins as their fine-feathered foes beat them twice on their home turf. The Ducks again stunned onlookers at the Shark Tank, winning Game Two with the great plays of Hiller and Miller (Drew Miller scored the game-winner at 13:17 of the third and goalie Jonas Hiller was again a hero who snuffed 42 shots). Bobby Ryan and Andrew Ebbett also scored for Anaheim. San Jose finally got goals from Ryan Clowe and Jonathan Cheechoo.

GAME THREE: SAN JOSE 4 at ANAHEIM 3 -April 21 | Highlights | Photos
The President's Trophy-winning Sharks finally did what they are supposed to do: WIN. Turnovers, bad penalties, and missed passes plagued the Ducks and the Sharks took advantage, capped by Patrick Marleau scoring the game-winner midway through the 3rd. He was the only forward, though, to score for San Jose, as the other 3 goals came from veterans on Defense: Rob Blake and Dan Boyle (twice). Bobby Ryan, James Wisniewski, and Chris Pronger scored for Anaheim.

GAME FOUR: SAN JOSE 0 at ANAHEIM 4 -April 23 | Highlights | Photos
The rumbling in the stands wasn't just the small earthquake during the first, it was also the sound of potential Doom coming towards San Jose. Jonas Hiller again shut down the Sharks' offense, snuffing all 23 shots he faced. Bobby Ryan, amidst chants of "BOB-BEE! BOB-BEE!" from the crowd, scored twice in the second for the Ducks while Corey Perry and Drew Miller - with an empty-netter - also scored for Anaheim.

GAME FIVE: ANAHEIM 2 at SAN JOSE 3 -April 25 | Highlights | Photos
The Sharks get bite again and battle back to force a Game 6. The Ducks didn't make it easy though, after they rallied to tie it being down 2-0 because of Sharks goals from Joe Thornton and Devin Setoguchi. Ryan Carter and Corey Perry brought Anaheim to OT, both in the 3rd period, but the Sharks in a must-win prevailed at 6:02 of OT on a goal from Patrick Marleau.

GAME SIX: SAN JOSE 1 at ANAHEIM 4 -April 27 | Highlights | Photos
Is there a President's Trophy curse that many superstitous hockey fans believe in? Believe it or not San Jose becomes another team in a long list of the trophy's winners to be knocked off by the #8 seed... the Sharks themselves actually did it to the Blues in 2000. But give credit to the Ducks, who worked hard and got great goaltending from rookie Jonas Hiller who only allowed one goal on 37 shots, the first goal of the game on the power play from Milan Michalek. Corey Perry, Teemu Selanne, Francois Beauchemin, and Ryan Getzlaf (who dropped the gloves against Joe Thornton on the very first faceoff) all scored for Anaheim, who now moves onto Round 2!

Ducks win series 4 games to 2.

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #7 Columbus Blue Jackets

The defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings, who had looked well on their way to easily defending it again, played lousy in the last quarter of the season, letting the Sharks charge ahead of them for first place. Now would the BJs, in their first-ever playoff appearance, facing the big Red Scare for their first opponent, be able to pull off an upset and take advantage of Detroit's slump? If Detroit couldn't shut down Columbus' Rick Nash, who had scored six goals against them including a hat trick in their 8-2 win on March 7th, maybe they could.

GAME ONE: COLUMBUS 1 at DETROIT 4 -April 16 | Highlights | Photos
The Blue Jacket-dominated 1st period of this series was scoreless but the Red Wings busted out with 3 goals in the second on their way to a 4-1 Game One win. Jiri Hudler opened up the scoring for the Wings, followed by Columbus' R.J. Umberger tying it up less than a minute later. But rookie d-man Jonathan Ericsson's slap shot hit the glove of Columbus center Manny Malhotra and deflected into the net a few minutes later and the Wings didn't look back with Niklas Kronwall and Johen Franzen rounding out the scoring.

GAME TWO: COLUMBUS 0 at DETROIT 4 -April 18 | Highlights | Photos
Detroit was all-powerful in this tilt: Rafalski, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hudler all scored for Detroit, all power play goals except for Zetterberg's. Chris Osgood stopped all 25 shots he faced.

GAME THREE: DETROIT 4 at COLUMBUS 1 -April 21 | Highlights | Photos
As only Detroit can do, they spoiled Columbus' home playoff debut and disappointed their fans by trouncing them 4-1 and taking a 3-0 series lead. Holmstrom, Cleary, and Zetterberg (twice) tallied for the Wings while Columbus only got one from R.J. Umberger.

GAME FOUR: DETROIT 6 at COLUMBUS 5 -April 23 | Highlights | Photos
The Columbus Blue Jackets valiantly battled the fearsome Detroit Red Wings in an epic hockey battle, fighting back to erase 3-1 and 5-3 deficits. They kept coming back at the Wings, determined to win the game, for their fans, for their season, for their first postseason appearance. Well... they lost anyway. Johan Franzen scored a power play goal with only 46.6 seconds remaining, stunning the BJs, quieting the sellout crowed that had spent most of the last frame standing and roaring. The Wings move on to Round 2 and the Jackets move on to tee time. Huselius, Nash, Umberger, Russell, and Modin scored for Columbus while Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Cleary, Hossa (twice in a row) and, as already mentioned, Franzen scored for Detroit.

Red Wings win series 4 games to 0.

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 St. Louis Blues

The last time these two met in the playoffs was in 2003 where the 'Nucks overcame a 3-1 series deficit to defeat the flu-ridden Blues. But St. Louis, getting back in the playoffs for the first time since 2004 in grand fashion by going from last in the West in February to sixth-seed, looked to continue their unbelievable charge into the post season. However, they faced the feared Roberto Luongo in net, who had a .911 save percentage against St. Louis in the season series, which was split between them 2-2. But maybe white hot Blues goalie Chris Mason, a big part of that surge, would be the bigger netminder to fear.

GAME ONE: ST. LOUIS 1 at VANCOUVER 2 -April 15 | Highlights | Photos
Daniel Sedin had a goal and an assist, and Roberto Luongo made 25 saves on Vancouver's way to a Game One win. Sedin's tally came on a delayed penalty, the first goal of the game, and Sami Salo added a power play goal to make it 2-0 later. It was a very physical and penalty-laden game which Brad Boyes made close with a power play goal by St. Louis in the third. Blues' Chris Mason also kept it close, saving 29 of 31 shots.

GAME TWO: ST. LOUIS 0 at VANCOUVER 3 -April 17 | Highlights | Photos
Luongo was brilliant again, stopping all 30 St. Louis shots, making some unbelievable saves (with Andy McDonald hitting several posts and crossbars to help). Henrik Sedin, Mats Sundin, and Burrows scored for Vancouver.

GAME THREE: VANCOUVER 3 at ST. LOUIS 2 -April 19 | Highlights | Photos
St. Louis finally got some more offense going but it wasn't enough as they fell into the dreaded 0-3 hole. David Backes gave the Blues their first lead in the series, giving them a 1-0 lead early in the 1st. Chris Mason kept it that way until midway through the 2nd when Mattias Ohlund and Daniel Sedin scored 2:21 apart, power play goals, to tie it and then take the lead. Andy McDonald tied it up for the Blues about five minutes later, but Steve Bernier scored another Vancouver power play goal in the third for the eventual game-winner.

GAME FOUR: VANCOUVER 3 at ST. LOUIS 2 (OT) -April 21 | Highlights | Photos
Vancouver took the series by sweeping the Blues in four straight, which was unsurprising to most, despite the solid play of goalie Chris Mason. At least this playoff series didn't end in the arrest of one of its players for a murder-for-hire plot. As often happens with these kinds of games, a relatively unknown player, Alexandre Burrows, put away the series winner with his 2nd goal of the game, in OT. Kyle Wellwood had their other goal. St. Louis got tallies from Brad Boyes and David Perron- tying it up after being down 2-0. Their season now over, the Blues go golfing while Vancouver goes... canucking into the semifinals.

Canucks win series 4 games to 0.

#4 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #5 Calgary Flames

The 'Hawks clearly dominated the season series, winning all four games, with one in overtime. Chicago looked to dominate this series just like they did the last time they won a playoff series, a sweep, which was way back in 1996, which was indeed against the Flames. But would the Flames and sniper Jarome Iginla burn Chicago to the ground again like the fires of 1871?

GAME ONE: CALGARY 2 at CHICAGO 3 (OT) -April 16 | Highlights | Photos
Martin Havlat - who had also tied the game late in regulation - scored only 12 seconds into OT to give the 'Hawks their first victory in seven years. David Moss had drawn first blood for Calgary in the first, Chicago tied it with Chris Barker's tally in the second, but Michael Cammalleri had put the Flames ahead again early in the third.

GAME TWO: CALGARY 2 at CHICAGO 3 -April 18 | Highlights | Photos
Jarome Iginla and (power play) and Adrian Aucoin put the Flames up 2-zip in the first period, but the 'Hawks came back with 3 goals in the second - two by Jonathan Toews (the first a power play goal) with a Patrick Sharp tally in between them.

GAME THREE: CHICAGO 2 at CALGARY 4 -April 20 | Highlights | Photos
The Flames burned the Blackhawks this time around. Calgary's David Moss scored two quick goals early in the third to put the Flames up by 2 and for good. At the end of the 2nd the two teams had been tied at 2 on goals by PSharp and Havlat ('Hawks) and Eric Nystrom and Rene Borque (Flames).

GAME FOUR: CHICAGO 4 at CALGARY 6 -April 22 | Highlights | Photos
Calgary was the victor in this high-scoring tilt, tying the serie. Iginla tied the game at 1 with a power play goal 5:47 into the 1st and he also had an empty-netter in the end. Olli Jokinen had two goals with a tally by Adrian Aucoin in between. Calgary's game-winner was from Eric Nystrom 13:04 into the third. The 'Hawks had opened up the scoring with Patrick Kane 4:40 into the first. They also got goals from Versteeg, Barker, and Pahlsson.

GAME FIVE: CALGARY 1 at CHICAGO 5 -April 22 | Highlights | Photos
It was Chicago's turn to rout this time, going up 3-0 in the first on tallies by Brent Seabrook (power play), Sharp, and Kris Versteeg. Andrew Ladd and Cam Barker added goals in the second. Dustin Boyd, on his first ever playoff goal, was Calgary's lone scorer early in the second to trim Chicago's lead 3-1. Miika Kiprusoff, one of the regular season's best goalies, was chased from the net - repladed by Curtis Mcelhinney - while Chicago's Nikolai Khabibulin had the "Bulin Wall" up, stopping 19 of 20 shots.

GAME SIX: CHICAGO 4 at CALGARY 1 -April 27 | Highlights | Photos
The Windy City has successfully blown out the Flames, again limiting them to just one goal, from Todd Bertuzzi 39 seconds into the third. Patrick Kane and Brian Campbell both scored power play goals for the 'Hawks with a tally by Adam Burish in between. Dustin Byfuglien's empty netter with 45 seconds remaining sealed the deal and Chicago moves on to Round Two.

Blackhawks win series 4 games to 2.

Eastern Conference

#1 Boston Bruins vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens

Boston won the season series between the two clubs, winning all three home games. They also outscored the Habs 23-13. But, as "They" say "the Playoffs are a different season" and Montreal was hoping that, at least this time, "They" were right.

GAME ONE: MONTREAL 2 at BOSTON 4 -April 16 | Highlights | Photos
After building a two-goal lead in the first on tallies by Philip Kessel and David Krejci, the first-seeded Bruins saw the eighth-seeded Canadiens tie the game up on goals by Christopher Higgins and Alexei Kovalev. But Zdeno Chara scored a power play goal to break the tie in the 3rd, getting the eventual game winner for Boston after a brief scare. Kessel scored again on the empty net to seal the deal late in the third.

GAME TWO: MONTREAL 1 at BOSTON 5 -April 18 | Highlights | Photos
The Eastern #1 Bruins keep doing exactly what they're supposed to do, beating up on the poor 8th-seeded Habs. Marc Savard scored a power play tally in the first, followed by Alexei Kovalev tying it up only 46 seconds into the second. But then Boston made a statement, scoring four more times in the second with Chuck Kobasew, Shane Hnidy, Savard again, and Michael Ryder, all power play goals but Hnidy's. Tim Thomas was near-perfect again, stopped 30 of 31 Montreal shots.

GAME THREE: BOSTON 4 at MONTREAL 2 -April 20 | Highlights | Photos
Montreal scored first in the first with Christopher Higgins but ended up losing the game and pushed to the brink of elimination. Kessel tied the game later in the opening frame, then Shawn Thornton put the Bruins up 2-1 early in the second. The Habs tied it a few minutes later with Yannick Weber, but Michael Ryder scored the game winner later that period. The scored remained 3-2 until Chuck Kobasew scored an empty netter with less than a minute left.

GAME FOUR: BOSTON 4 at MONTREAL 1 -April 22 | Highlights | Photos
Get out the brooms, it's another sweep! The Habs were the Hab-nots, only managing one goal against netminder Tim Thomas and his Bruins as Montreal's season ended. Michael Ryder scored twice, with goals by David Krejci and Philip Kessel in between, as Boston moves on to Round Two. Montreal opened up the scoring - only 39 seconds into the game actually - with a tally from Andrei Kostitsyn.

Bruins win series 4 games to 0.

#2 Washington Capitals vs. #7 New York Rangers

Washington and Alexander Ovechkin were hoping that their "capital gains" over the Rangers would carry over to the playoffs, as they had outscored the Broadway Blueshirts 14-11 in the season, never losing in regulation to them in the process. Ovechkin, obviously one of the players to watch in this bout, had three of those goals and an assist to boot.

GAME ONE: NEW YORK RANGERS 4 at WASHINGTON 3 -April 15 | Highlights | Photos
Brandon Dubinsky's tie-breaking goal with 8:17 remaining in the game stunned the Caps and their home audience and New Yawk gets the Game One win. "Sick move, what can I say," Washington's Alex Ovechkin said about Dub's deke on Jeff Shultz and snap shot. Oh these kids today and their new-fangled lingo. Scott Gomez got a goal and two assists, and Nik Antropov and Markus Naslund each got a goal and an assist for the Rangers in this tilt. Tomas Fleischmann, Viktor Kozlov and Alexander Semin scored along with a pair of assists by Ovechkin for Washington.

GAME TWO: NEW YORK RANGERS 1 at WASHINGTON 0 -April 18 | Highlights | Photos
Henrik Lundqvist out-dueled Washington's Simeon Varlamov, shutting out the Caps to lift the 7th-seeded New York Rangers to an unlikely 2-0 series lead. He turned away all 35 Washington shots he faced while Varlamov was impressive as well, snuffing all but 1 of the 24 shots by the Rangers. Ryan Callahan 7:44 into the game scored the lone goal in what turned out to be all the Rangers needed to get the win.

GAME THREE: WASHINGTON 4 at NEW YORK RANGERS 0 -April 20 | Highlights | Photos
Simeon Varlamov wasn't going to lose this time. He shut out the Rangers, stopping all 33 shots he faced. Alexander Semin scored twice along with goals from Brooks Laich and Tom Poti to light up Lundqvist four times in front of his home fans.

GAME FOUR: WASHINGTON 1 at NEW YORK RANGERS 2 -April 22 | Highlights | Photos
The Caps are about to be capsized as the Rangers put them on the brink in the Game Four winning effort. Ovechkin scored for Washington but New York edged them out with tallies by Paul Mara and Chris Drury. Washington's goalie Varlamov stopped 16 of only 18 shots by the Rangers while Lundqvist stopped 27 of 28 (and that included not allowing any goals on all 6 of Washington's power plays).

GAME FIVE: NEW YORK RANGERS 0 at WASHINGTON 4 -April 24 | Highlights | Photos
Ovechkin capped a 4-0 shutout win for the Caps with another highlight reel goal. Just check this one out for yourself, I won't even try to describe it with text. Matt Bradley gladly scored his firt two playoff goals, the first two goals of the game, followed by a tally by Semin and that beauty by Ovech. Simeon Varlamov, shutting out the Rangers again, stopped all 20 shots he faced.

GAME SIX: WASHINGTON 5 at NEW YORK RANGERS 3 -April 26 | Highlights | Photos
Washington forces a Game Seven at Madison Square Garden - and are hoping it goes better than their Game Seven against the Flyers last year. Tom Poti had a four-point game as Washington chased Lundqvist from the net for the second straight game. Jurcina, Green, Poti, Kozlov, and Ovechkin scored for the Caps while the Rangers got goals from Scott Gomez, Callahan, and Staal.

GAME SEVEN: NEW YORK RANGERS 1 at WASHINGTON 2 - April 28 | Highlights | Photos
The Capitals became just the 21st of 230 teams to come back from being behind 3-1 in a series to win it on old fart Sergei Fedorov's snap shot that beat Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist with 4:59 left in the third. The Rangers had dominated the first 40 minutes, not wanting that stat to come to pass, scoring first in the first with Nik Antropov. The Caps tied it with a goal from Semin later in the first and then scored that game and series winner in the third after they turned their game on! Now, finally, what everybody has been waiting for... Ovechkin vs. Crosby in Round Two!

Capitals win series 4 games to 3.

#3 New Jersey Devils vs. #6 Carolina Hurricanes

Never mind the standings, the 'Canes won the season series... but three of the games only by one goal. However, the One Goal this time for both teams is to make it to the Conference Semifinals. Would the Devils and the great Martin Brodeur, who had finally broken Patrick Roy's win record, prevail?

GAME ONE: CAROLINA 1 at NEW JERSEY 4 -April 15 | Highlights | Photos
Stay-at-home defenseman (usually) Mike Mottau scored first in the first for the Devils on their way to a 4-1 and Game One win. Zach Parise, Patrik Elias and Jamie Langenbrunner also tallied for New Jersey, while Carolina's only goal came from Ray Whitney.

GAME TWO: CAROLINA 2 at NEW JERSEY 1 (OT) -April 17 | Highlights | Photos
It took overtime to resolve this tight game. Zach Parise scored a power play goal for New Jersey midway through the first, followed by Eric Staal tying the game near the end of the frame. That is where the score stood until Tim Gleason prevailed for the 'Canes only 2:40 into the first OT.

GAME THREE: NEW JERSEY 3 at CAROLINA 2 (OT) -April 19 | Highlights | Photos
And it took overtime again to decide Game Three. This time it was New Jersey's turn to get the sudden death victory, Travis Zajac scoring 4:58 into overtime. Brian Gionta and Zach Parise also scored for NJ. Carolina got goals from Ryan Bayda and Chad Larose.

GAME FOUR: NEW JERSEY 3 at CAROLINA 4 -April 21 | Highlights | Photos
Jussi Jokinen, with 0.2 seconds to go in the third, scored and won the game for Carolina. The 'Canes had stoked themselves to a 3-zip lead on two goals in the first by Eric Staal and Ryan Bayda and one early in the second from Chad Larose. New Jersey roared back with three goals to tie it, Brian Gionta scoring in the second, veteran Brendan Shanahan 4:21 into the third, and almost exactly four minutes later David Clarkson scored the tying goal. But as already mentioned Carolina redeemed themselves with that last second goal by J-squared! Martin Brodeur had a hissy fit over it, too!

GAME FIVE: CAROLINA 0 at NEW JERSEY 1 -April 23 | Highlights | Photos
After calming down Brodeur was his old self and doing what he does best... shutting out his opponent. He stopped all 44 shots he faced for his 23rd postseason shutout to tie Patrick Roy. David Clarkson scored for New Jersey, a power play goal, at 11:22 of the second. Only missing that one, Cam Ward stopped 41 shots to make it close.

GAME SIX: NEW JERSEY 0 at CAROLINA 4 -April 26 | Highlights | Photos
Now it's Carolina's turn for a shutout to force the decisive Game Seven, Cam Ward making 28 saves to keep the 'Canes alive. Ray Whitney, Eric Staal (twice) and "last-second" Jussi Jokinen with a power play tally scored for Carolina.

GAME SEVEN: CAROLINA 4 at NEW JERSEY 3 - April 28 | Highlights | Photos
Perhaps the harbringer of doom here was Tuomo Ruutu scoring only a minute and change into the game for Carolina. Jamie Langenbrunner knotted it up a few minutes later, with Jay Pandolfo putting the Devils up 2-1 before the first was over. Ray Whitney tied it up early in the second but New Jersey took the lead again with a power play tally from Rolston. But then, shocking the Devils and their fans, with only 1:40 to go, the home team up by a goal, the crowd ready to see their team move on, Jussi Jokinen tied the game, and THEN with only 32 seconds left in the game Eric Staal scored to put the 'Canes up and the shocked Devils away!

Hurricanes win series 4 games to 3.

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers

Sidney Crosby had more points than anybody in the season series between the two clubs (9) and his partner-in-crime Evgeni Malkin had 7. The series was won by the Penguins by two games, but each team scored 21 goals. Would the flashy Penguins down the gritty Flyers, or would they be a flash in the pan?

GAME ONE: PHILADELPHIA 1 at PITTSBURGH 4 -April 15 | Highlights | Photos
The Penguins really took it to their cross-state rivals, winning Game One, staring with a tally on their very first power play 4 minutes and change into the first, phenom Sidney Crosby with that goal. Tyler Kennedy, Evgeni Malkin (of course!), and Mark Eaton also scored for Pittsburgh. Simon Gagne scored the lone goal for Philly.
On a faceoff with 7 seconds to go Flyers forward Daniel Carcillo butted Penguins' Max Talbot in the head with his stick which got him suspended for one game and his coach, John Stevens, fined $10,000.

GAME TWO: PHILADELPHIA 2 at PITTSBURGH 3 (OT) -April 17 | Highlights | Photos
Bill Geurin scored a power play goal at 18:29 into the first overtime period, his second goal of the night, to lift the Penguins to a Game Two win and 2-0 series lead. Malkin scored the other Penguins goal that had tied the game at 2, another power play tally. Scott Hartnell (power play, too) and Darroll Powe scored for the Flyers.

GAME THREE: PITTSBURGH 3 at PHILADELPHIA 6 -April 19 | Highlights | Photos
Philly finally took flight, bombing Pittsburgh with six goals - Jeff Carter, Mike Richards (power play), Claude Giroux, Simon Gagne (short handed), Jared Ross, and Gagne again (empty netter). Evgeni Malkin did what he could for the Penguins, scoring twice (the latter goal on the power play with Danny Briere off on a high-sticking double minor) with Rob Scuderi scoring in between.

GAME FOUR: PITTSBURGH 3 at PHILADELPHIA 1 -April 21 | Highlights | Photos
Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury stole one for the Penguins, stopping 45 of 46 shots, including 16 on the Flyers' nine power plays. Philly's Daniel Carcillo spoiled his shutout bid 11:44 into the third. Sidney Crosby, Tyler Kennedy, and Maxime Talbot scored for Pittsburgh.

GAME FIVE: PHILADELPHIA 3 at PITTSBURGH 0 -April 17 | Highlights | Photos
The Flyers stay alive, shutting out the Penguins on home turf. Goalie Martin Biron was perfect, but didn't have to work very hard, stopping all 19 shots he faced. Arron Asham, Claude Giroux and Mike Knuble scored for Philly.

GAME SIX: PITTSBURGH 5 at PHILADELPHIA 3 -April 25 | Highlights | Photos
Philly had stoked themselves to a 3-0 lead on goals by Mike Knuble, Joffrey Lupul, and Daniel Briere, but the rest of the game was the Pitts for the Flyers as the Penguins rallied back, starting less than 2 minutes after Philly's third goal, Ruslan Fedotenko making it 3-1. Then Mark Eaton made it 3-2 and Sidney Crosby tied the game before the second was over. 2:19 into the third Sergei Gonchar scored the game-winning and series winning goal to shoot down the Flyers for good. Crosby added an empty netter with less than a minute to go and Pittsburgh flies onto the second round.

Penguins win series 4 games to 2.


Round Two - Conference Semifinals

Western Conference

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #8 Anaheim Ducks

Hockey World certainly didn't expect this match up between the last two Stanley Cup winners. The Red Wings were hoping that the Ducks didn't do anything else unexpected, as the over-achieving Ducks have burned them before, sweeping them in 2003.

GAME ONE: ANAHEIM 2 at DETROIT 3 - May 1 | Highlights | Photos
Lidstrom scored the game winner - his second of the night - with less than a minute to go as the Wings took Game One. The Ducks' Corey Perry got the first goal of the series 7:28 of the first but Johan Franzen tied it up for Detroit about five minutes later on a five-minute power play. Anaheim's Mike Brown had dealt a devastating head blow with his shoulder to Jiri Hudler, who required stitches for a gash under his left eye. Brown had gotten the five-minute interference penalty and a game misconduct. The Ducks say it was a clean hit delivered while Hudler was "admiring his pass" (according to Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle) - of course Detroit disagreed. Then to add to that controversy, a split second after Franzen scored he ran over Duck goalie Jonas Hiller.
Anyway... Nicklas Lidstrom scored a power play goal for Detroit later to make it 2-1 but Teemu Selanne, on another power play - this time a 4-on-3 advantage, tied the game right before the second period was over. But Lidstrom and the Wings prevailed with 50 seconds left in the third! Oh by the way, 47-year-old Chris Chelios played about six minutes and change in this game, replacing Brian Rafalski. Is Chelios really human?

GAME TWO: ANAHEIM 4 at DETROIT 3 (3OT) - May 3 | Highlights | Photos
Detroit's 5-game playoff win streak finally comes to an end as they're defeated by the Ducks in a triple overtime thriller. Todd Marchant scored at 1:15 of the third extra session to even up the series and go back home with a series split, what ever underdog team strives for. Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Pronger (power play), and Ryan Carter (power play) also scored for Anaheim. Detroit got tallies from Stuart, Mikael Samuelsson, and Johan Franzen (Franzen's being the tying goal that sent the game into that looong overtime).

GAME THREE: DETROIT 1 at ANAHEIM 2 - May 5 | Highlights | Photos
Teemu Selanne and Scott Niedermayer scored for the Ducks, helping another great performance by Hiller stand up, as he only allowed a power play tally by Henrick Zetterberg. Well, Detroit thought he also allowed a tying goal by Marian Hossa with 1:04 left but the ref behind the net lost sight of the puck and blew the play dead, even though the puck was trickling along the goal line, an instant before Hossa banged it home.

GAME FOUR: DETROIT 6 at ANAHEIM 3 - May 7 | Highlights | Photos
There was no way in hell this year that Detroit was going down 3 games to 1 to a low seeded team. They made that statement - with a few exclamation marks - by defeathering the Ducks to even up the series. Franzen - twice in a row - and next Hossa - twice in a row - each scored for Detroit, with Samuelsson and Zetterberg - on the empty net - adding two more tallies. Corey Perry for the Ducks also decided to score twice in a row for the Ducks - the first one only 42 seconds into the game, but unfortunately for Anaheim their only other scorer was Scott Niedermayer on the power play in the third.

GAME FIVE: ANAHEIM 1 at DETROIT 4 - May 10 | Highlights | Photos
With their second win in a row, the Wings jump to the series lead. Only Ray Whitney scored for Anaheim in this lopsided tilt, with Franzen, Hudler, Helm, and Zetterberg on the empty net all putting biscuits in the basket for Detroit. Chris Osgood, as usual, didn't have to work very hard for the near-perfect win, stopping 16 of 17 shots.

GAME SIX: DETROIT 1 at ANAHEIM 2 - May 12 | Highlights | Photos
The Ducks even up the series, forcing a Game Seven, with another great outing by Jonas Hiller and goals by Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry. Johan Franzen had the lone goal for Detroit, spoiling Hiller's shutout bid with 2:25 to go. Hiller made 38 saves in all, while Chris Osgood saved 26 of 28 shots, keeping things close.

GAME SEVEN: ANAHEIM 3 at DETROIT 4 - May 14 | Highlights | Photos
Dan Cleary scored the game and series winner with 3 minutes exactly left in the third period to fly the Wings to the Conference Finals. Jiri Hudler, Darren Helm, and Mikael Samuelsson also tallied for Detroit, while the Ducks got goals from Teemu Selanne, Corey Perry, and Bobby Ryan. Now the Wings will face the Kids in the 'Hawks in the Conference Finals!

Red Wings win series 4 games to 3.

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #4 Chicago Blackhawks

It's the youngsters versus the veterans. It's playing-out-of-his mind Luongo versus the "Bulin" Wall. It's the Sedin Brothers versus the Patricks (Cane, Sharp). Who would prevail and move onto the Final Four??

GAME ONE: CHICAGO 3 at VANCOUVER 5 - April 30 | Highlights | Photos
The Canucks built a 3-goal lead going into the third on tallies by Pavol Demitra (power play), Henrik Sedin, and Ryan Kesler. But Chicago roared back in the third to tie it with two goals by Patrick Kane (one of them on the man-advantage) and one from Dave Bolland. Even though the Canucks blew that lead they were undeterred, scoring twice more with Sami Salo and Ryan Johnson to secure the Game One win.

GAME TWO: CHICAGO 6 at VANCOUVER 3 - May 2 | Highlights | Photos
The Canucks finally lose a game in the postseason - big time. It didn't look good for the 'Hawks early in the first period, Sami Salo scoring a power play goal at 5:35 and then Alex Edler scoring another play play goal at 6:44. But it was all Chicago in the second, as they not only came back to tie it with 2 tallies, one on the power play, by Patrick Sharp, but Bolland, short-handed, and Eager put the 'Hawks up 4-2 before the period was out. Eager scored again along with Patrick Kane early in the third. Henrik Sedin added another tally for Vancouver but it wasn't enough by far, and the series was tied!

GAME THREE: VANCOUVER 3 at CHICAGO 1 - May 5 | Highlights | Photos
Luongo redeemed himself, only allowing Brian Campbell's tally in the second period and Vancouver to go up 2-1 in the series. Mason Raymond, Steve Bernier and Henrik Sedin had all put the Canuckleheads up 3-0, a lead that proved to be too insurmountable for the 'Hawks in front of their home fans.

GAME FOUR: VANCOUVER 1 at CHICAGO 2 (OT) - May 7 | Highlights | Photos
Vancouver coach Alain Cigneault said it was more of a chess match than a game. With his linemates Bolland and Havlat, Andrew Ladd said "checkmate" by scoring at 2:52 of overtime to even up the series. Vancouver's Hordichuk put them up 1-0 in the second and Chicago tied it up with Martin Havlat late in the third, with the same scoring line that scored the overtime winner later.

GAME FIVE: CHICAGO 4 at VANCOUVER 2 - May 9 | Highlights | Photos
Dustin Byfuglien scored a hat trick for Chicago's first three goals - the last goal on the power play, a feat this tough guy is not typically known for. That would help the 'Hawks take the series lead. Havlat would add an empty-netter with 1:02 to go. Vancouver got tallies from Kesler and Mats Sundin.

GAME SIX: VANCOUVER 5 at CHICAGO 7 - May 11 | Highlights | Photos
Patrick Kane scored a hat trick and Jonathan Toews scored two as the Blackhawks win, dropping the Canucks and heading for the Conference Finals for the first time in a really long time. Versteeg and Burish also tallied for the 'Hawks. Vancouver got goals from Raymond, O'Brien, and the Sedin brothers (Daniel, 2, Henrik, 1).

Blackhawks win series 4 games to 2.

Eastern Conference

#1 Boston Bruins vs. #6 Carolina Hurricanes

With the President's Tropy-wining Sharks shockingly gone, Boston is now the new owners of home-ice advantage throughout the playoffs. Would they squander it, or blow the Hurricanes away? Or would their trip to the Cup be "Staal"ed, too?

GAME ONE: CAROLINA 1 at BOSTON 4 - May 1 | Highlights | Photos
Marc Savard scored twice as Boston blew the Hurricanes away to take Game One. The Bruins dominated from start to finish, Tim Thomas and his 26 saves only allowing Jussi Jokinen's goal near the end of the first. David Krejci and Michael Ryder also scored for Boston.

GAME TWO: CAROLINA 3 at BOSTON 0- May 3 | Highlights | Photos
Carolina blanked Boston to tie the series and head home with a series split . Cam Ward snuffed all 36 shots he faced; Joe Corvo, Matt Cullen (short-handed), and Eric Staal (empty-netter) scored for the 'Canes.

GAME THREE: BOSTON 2 at CAROLINA 3 - May 6 | Highlights | Photos
The Bruins get 'Caned again, Jussi Jokinen scoring at 2:48 of the extra period to help Carolina take the series lead. Eric Staal and Sergei Samsonov also scored for the Hurricanes while Boston got tallies from Milan Lucic and Mark Recchi.

GAME FOUR: BOSTON 1 at CAROLINA 4 - May 8 | Highlights | Photos
The Bruins find themselves on the brink after the Hurricanes outwork and outscore them. After Eric Staal put the 'Canes up 1-zip on a power play goal, Boston came back with a power play tally of their own from Marc Savard. But then in the third it was all Carolina, Jussi Jokinen with another power play tally early in the frame, then later Sergei Samsonov and Eric Staal again, scoring about a minute apart.

GAME FIVE: CAROLINA 0 at BOSTON 4 - May 10 | Highlights | Photos
Philip Kessel scored twice - along with Recchi and Lucic - to help the Bruins live to play another game. The Hurricnaes blew hard, but Tim Thomas kept the door shut on them, snuffing all 19 shots that he faced. The Bruins dominated pretty much from start to finish, playing one of the most physical games of their series.

GAME SIX: BOSTON 4 at CAROLINA 2 - May 12 | Highlights | Photos
After quickly building a 2-0 lead in the first five minutes of the first, the Bruins eventually beat the 'Canes to force the decisive Game Seven. Marc Recchi and Steve Montador were those goal scorers. Carolina could only muster goals from Matt Cullen, which had made it 2-1, and Sergei Samsonov, which had made it 4-2. Marc Savard and Chuck Kobasew had the game-winning and insurance goals for Boston.

GAME SEVEN: CAROLINA 3 at BOSTON 2 - May 14 | Highlights | Photos
With 1:14 remaining in overtime Scott Walker ended the game and Boston's season, banging home a delicious rebound from a Ray Whitney shot off of Tim Thomas. Now the Hurricanes blow on to face Sidney Crosby and the Penguins in the Conference Finals. Longtime Hurricane Rod Brind'Amour and Sergei Samsonov also scored for Carolina. Boston's Byron Bitz had made it 1-0 Bruins and Milan Lucic had tied the game in the third.

Hurricanes win series 4 games to 3.

#2 Washington Capitals vs. #4 Pittsburgh Penguins

It's a wet dream come true for the hockey media. A playoff matchup between the phenoms. Crosby and Malkin versus Ovechkin. Would this epic series be all it's been hyped up to be??

GAME ONE: CROSBY 2 at OVECHKIN 3 - May 2 | Highlights | Photos
But of course Ovechkin and Crosby would both score in this Game One of this epic duel. But unfortunately for Crosby one one other teammate scored, Mark Eaton. And fortunately for Ovechkin, two teammates scored goals to go along with his power play tally: Steckel and Fleischmann.

GAME TWO: CROSBY 3 at OVECHKIN 4 - May 4 | Highlights | Photos
Well, I sincerely doubt even a writer in Hollywood would have scripted something like this. It was nearly all Crosby and Ovechkin in this one as both got hat tricks, Crosby's a natural one. But unfortunately for the Crosby's team, Ovechkin's also got a tally from David Steckel, which made one of Ovechkin's goals a game-winner.

GAME THREE: OVECHKIN 2 at CROSBY 3 (OT) - May 6 | Highlights | Photos
Ovechkin scored only 1:23 into the game, and maybe things looked bleak briefly for the Crosbies, but Ruslan Fedotenko tied the game after a 2-on-1 break in the second and Evgeni Malkin, the other phenom in Crosbyland, got his chance to shine, ripping a power play goal with five minutes left in the third. The Ovechkins tied it on a tally from Backstrom with only 1:50 to go. But it was Kris Letang that prevailed for the Crosbies at 11:23 of overtime to breathe new life into the team.

GAME FOUR: OVECHKIN 3 at CROSBY 5 - May 8 | Highlights | Photos
Expected: the team on home ice wins the game, which is exactly how the first four games have gone. Not expected: the team that scores first to be 0-4. The Ovechkins continued that trend, scoring first only 36 seconds into the game, but ultimately losing it. Backstrom scored on the first shot of the game, but the Penguins tied it up at 3:55 with Gonchar - who left the game later after a knee-on-knee collision with Ovechkin - who actually didn't score this time! Clark and Jurcina (short handed) also tallied for the Ovechkins; Guerin, Fedotenko, Crosby, and Talbot also tallied for the home team.

GAME FIVE: CROSBY 4 at OVECHKIN 3 (OT)- May 9 | Highlights | Photos
Finally the dynamic duo in the game was Crosby and Malkin, as they stunned the Ovechkins at 3:28 of overtime to be the first road team in the series to win. After racing down the ice with Crosby, Malkin attempted a backhand pass to him, but instead it went off an Ovechkin defenseman and into the net. Staal, Fedotenko, and Cooke also tallied for the Crosbies. The Ovechkins got two from Ovechkin and a tally from Backstrom in between.

GAME SIX: OVECHKIN 5 at CROSBY 4 (OT) - May 11 | Highlights | Photos
The Ovechkins made Crosby eat his words after he guaranteed a win when David Steckel scored at 6:22 of OT to even up the series and force what will probably be a dramatic Game Seven. Steckel tipped a Brooks Laich pass behind Marc-Andre Fleury to stun the home crowd, expecting to see a post-series handshake in the end. The Crosbies scored first - again the first scorer loses - with Guerin. Koslov tied the game early in the second. Eaton and Letang also scored for the Crosbies, with Letang's having them up 4-3. Ovechkins goals by Fleischmann, Laich, and Koslov again is what sent the game into overtime.

GAME SEVEN: CROSBY 6 at OVECHKIN 2 - May 13 | Highlights | Photos
Crosby may not have guaranteed a win this time, but he did bookend the scoring for his team, who routed the Ovechkins to move onto the Conference Finals! He opened up the scoring at 12:36 of the first and then a mere 8 seconds later Craig Adams tallied, a quick 2-0 score! Guerin scored a mere 28 seconds into the second for the 3-zip, with Kris Letang making it a quad a few minutes later. Jordan Staal made the lead even more insurmountable for the Ovechkins making it 5-0 less than 9 minutes later. Finally Ovechkin had enough and got his team on the board before the period was out, but Crosby finished off his team's scoring with a power play goal about 2 minutes into the third. Brooks Laich made it 6-2 about four minutes later but by then Pittsburgians were already celebrating a 3rd round berth!

Crosbies win series 4 games to 3.


Round Three - Conference Finals (Stanley Cup Semifinals)

Western Conference

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #4 Chicago Blackhawks
It seems like old time hockey again as a Detroit/Chicago playoff series brings back memories of Howes and Hulls. But now in 2009, the Conference Finals is quite familiar territory for the Red Wings, and not so much for the Blackhawks. Would the Chicago Kids be able to withstand the Detroit Domination?

GAME ONE: CHICAGO 2 AT DETROIT 5 - May 17 | Highlights | Photos
Dan Cleary notched 2 goals, along with Johan Franzen and Mikael Samuelsson, as Detroit dominated Game One. Adam Burish and Kris Versteeg had the 'Hawks knotted at two when the third began, but that's when the Wings broke out with Cleary's second goal and Samuelsson's and Zetterberg's empty-netter.

GAME TWO: CHICAGO 2 AT DETROIT 3 (OT) - May 19 | Highlights | Photos
Samuelsson scored 5:14 into overtime to lift the Wings to a 3-2 win and 2-0 series lead. Cleary and Rafalski also scored for Detroit. Chicago got two tallies from Jonathan Toews, the second one the game-tying goal.

GAME THREE: DETROIT 3 AT CHICAGO 4 (OT) - May 22 | Highlights | Photos
Chicago finally dominated Detroit and built a 3-0 lead on two goals in the first - Patrick Sharp (power play) and Andrew Ladd - and a tally by Samuel Pahlsson 45 seconds into the second. But they blew that lead, allowing three Red Wing defensemen to score in the second (Nicklas Lidstrom - power play, Brian Rafalski, Jonathan Ericsson). After pulling the "Bulin Wall" down and putting Cristobal Huet in, and a scoreless third, the 'Hawks prevailed anyway, Sharp scoring at 1:52 of overtime.

GAME FOUR: DETROIT 6 AT CHICAGO 1 - May 24 | Highlights | Photos
Even without Datsyuk and Lidstrom, Detroit could still pound the 'Hawks, and in front of Chicago's home crowd to boot to take the commanding 3-1 series lead. Hossa, Franzen, Filpula, Hossa again, and Zetterberg (twice) all scored for Detroit, while Chicago only got one tally - from Jonathan Toews. It was backup goaltender night as each team's saw action. Cristobal Huet - who had been backing up injured Khabibulin - was yanked when it was 4-1 in favor of Corey Crawford, who wasn't much better. Ty Conklin, Detroit's backup, relieved Osgood in the third to let him recover from dehydration.

GAME FIVE: CHICAGO 1 AT DETROIT 2 (OT) - May 27 | Highlights | Photos
Darren Helm scored the game and series-winning goal at 3:58 of OT, setting up a rematch of last year's Stanley Cup Finals between the Red Wings and the Penguins. It was a scoreless tie until Dan Cleary made it 1-0 Wings 6 minutes and change into the third, and the 'Hawks tied the game with Patrick Kane about 6 minutes later. But Darren was at the Helm in overtime, sailing the Wings to the next and final round.

Red Wings win series 4 games to 1.

Eastern Conference

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #6 Carolina Hurricanes
Now that the epic Ovechkin/Crosby battle has been won, the Penguins have more work to do with the overachieving Carolina Hurricanes.

GAME ONE: CAROLINA 2 AT PITTSBURGH 3 - May 18 | Highlights | Photos
Defenseman Philippe Boucher, in for the injured Sergei Gonchar, had a goal and an assist, while Miroslav Satan, who had actually done time in the minors this past season, scored his first postseason goal in more than two years, as the Penguins showed it's not just The Crosby Show in Round 3 as they took Game One. Evgeni Malkin, that other phenom, scored Pittsburgh's 2nd goal, just 84 seconds after Satan had put the Penguins up 1-0 at 9:17 of the first. Carolina got tallies from Chad Larose and Joe Corvo.

GAME TWO: CAROLINA 4 AT PITTSBURGH 7 - May 21 | Highlights | Photos
In the Stanley Cup playoffs, 4 goals more often than not is enough to win the game, but not in this high-scoring tilt. Evgeni Malkin scored a hat trick on Pittsburgh's way to crushing Carolina in Game 2. He scored the Penguins' 2nd, 5th and 6th goals, whereas Crosby scored the first, less than two minutes in, Maxime Talbot and Chris Kunitz has the 3rd and 4th, respectively; Tyler Kennedy scored the empty-netter at the end. The 'Canes got tallies from Chad Larose, Jokinen, Seidenberg and Eaves, the first two both erasing one goal deficits. GAME THREE: PITTSBURGH 6 AT CAROLINA 2 - May 23 | Highlights | Photos
Suddenly the Hurricanes, well, they blow, so to speak. Or maybe the Penguins are just that good. And in this series, it ain't the Crosbies anymore... more like the Malkins, as Evgeni had another multi-goal game, this time scoring twice. Sure Crosby had one, too. And so did three other Penguins: Ruslan Fedotenko, Craig Adams, and Bill Guerin. Matt Cullen and Sergei Samsonov scored for Carolina, who are now on the brink of being swept. GAME FOUR: PITTSBURGH 4 AT CAROLINA 1 - May 26 | Highlights | Photos
Maybe Pittsburgh was the land mass that the Hurricanes hit that reduced them to a mere tropical storm. Actually right now they're in a tropical depression, as their season is over and the Penguins are on their way back to the Stanley Cup Finals! Ruslan Fedotenko, Maxime Talbot, Bill Guerin and Craig Adams all scored for Pittsburgh, who has outscored Carolina 20-9 in the series sweep. The lone goal for the 'Canes was from Eric Staal in their quick and early jump to a 1-0 lead, but even with that, and shutting down Crosby and Malkin, they couldn't prolong their season.

Penguins win series 4 games to 0.


Round Four - Stanley Cup Finals

Detroit Red Wings vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Well this certainly looks familiar. For the second time in as many seasons, once again it's Wings vs. Pens in the Finals. Of course Crosby and Co. are hoping this time goes differently. Would their hot offense light up Detroit's lamps more this year? Or would Detroit do what they usually do: dominate... and win the Cup?

GAME ONE: PITTSBURGH 1 AT DETROIT 3 - May 30 | Highlights | Photos
Stuart, Franzen and Justin Abdelkader all scored for the Red Wings, who were described as getting all the lucky bounces in this one, on their way to a 3-1 win. The Penguins, however, got all the unlucky ones, only getting a tally from Ruslan Fedotenko. Crosby is left shaking his head at the chances they'd had that somehow didn't end up in the net.

GAME TWO: PITTSBURGH 1 AT DETROIT 3 - May 31 | Highlights | Photos
Evgeni Malkin put the Penguins on the board first in the first, but the Red Wings came back with three tallies of their own to take Game Two and a 2-0 series lead. Starting in the second period, Ericsson, Filppula and Justin Abdelkader all showed that the Wings don't even have to get goals from their biggest stars to win. Along with a fighting major and game misconduct, Malkin received an instigator penalty for a fight with Detroit’s Henrik Zetternberg at 19:41. Even though Rule 47.22 states: "A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five minutes or at any time in overtime shall be suspended for one game, pending a review of the incident..." Malkin will somehow avoid being suspended.

GAME THREE: DETROIT 2 AT PITTSBURGH 4 - June 2 | Highlights | Photos
The Penguins took Game 3 in front of their home crowd. But it wasn't the Crosby - or even the Malkin - show. Well, Malkin got 3 assists, but it was Maxime Talbot's two bookend goals that helped his team avoid the perilous 0-3 series trail. He scored the first goal of the game in the first and the last goal, an empty-netter. In between were two power play goals for the Penguins from Letang and Gonchar, and Detroit tallies from Zetterberg and Franzen (the latter on the power play).

GAME FOUR: DETROIT 2 AT PITTSBURGH 4 - June 4 | Highlights | Photos | More Photos
Malkin was one the difference-makers here along with Crosby - both had 1 goal and 1 assist - as the Penguins scored 3 straight to overcome a 2-1 deficit and win the game and tie the series. Tyler Kennedy and Jordan Staal also scored for Pittsburgh, their fans stunned by Detroit's tie-breaking goal by Brad Stuart only 46 seconds into the second. Darren Helm scored the 1st goal for the Red Wings, who were stifled by great goaltending by Marc-Andre Fleury, who made 37 saves; Osgood made 28.

GAME FIVE: PITTSBURGH 0 AT DETROIT 5 - June 6 | Highlights | Photos
Five different Red Wings players scored - Cleary, Filppula, Kronwall, Rafalski, and Zetterberg (the last three power play goals) - and Chris Osgood snuffed all 22 shots he faced for the shutout (and he even had an assist, in Filppula's goal). Datsyuk had two assists and his team is one win away from a Stanely Cup repeat.

GAME SIX: DETROIT 1 AT PITTSBURGH 2 - June 9 | Highlights | Photos
A 25-save performance by Marc-Andre Fleury helped hold off the Red Wings as the Penguins did what they could not last year: force a Game Seven and win Game Six in front of their home crowd. Jordan Staal and Tyler Kennedy also did their part, getting the Pens to the 2-0 lead. Finally early in the third Kris Draper got the Wings on the board, starting a surge that looked like a heart-breaking comeback, but it was not to be. Osgood was good, too, making 29 saves, keeping things close.

GAME SEVEN: PITTSBURGH 2 AT DETROIT 1 - June 12 | Highlights | Photos
Maxime Talbot scored twice in the second period and his Penguins held off the Red Wings, who were at home but all out of gas, as they take the game, the series, and the Cup! Marc-Andre Fleury didn't experience much sustained pressure until about midway through the third period, where the Wings finally got on the board with a wicked blast from defenseman Jonathan Ericsson at 13:53. But again, there was no comeback, Niklas Kronwall ringing one off the crossbar with 2:13 left, and Pittsburgh became just the third road team in history to take a Finals Game Seven. Sidney Crosby, who was actually injured, got to raise the Cup over his head for the very first time.

Penguins win series 4 games to 3.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS WIN THE STANLEY CUP

Conn Smythe Trophy
most valuable player in the 2009 playoffs:
Evgeni Malkin (PIT); 14G, 22A (36P), +3, 24GP


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.