user since
Fri May 3 2002 at 03:51:29 (22 years ago )
last seen
Thu Apr 1 2004 at 19:43:49 (20 years ago )
number of write-ups
4 - View theCat's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 72
mission drive within everything
personal pleasure
specialties
Socially Responsible Demolition
school/company
Wreq, Ruynn & Associates, Inc.
motto
Rust Never Sleeps
most recent writeup
The Key Marco Cat
Send private message to theCat

A cat in my 40's living in San Jose, with my wife and our 2 kittens, who we homeschool. We witches as a lifestyle choice. If you think that makes us freaky then you are probably correct. If you think we are not fit parents as a result then may you have a nice life in a universe far, far away.

I have discovered, just recently, that I no longer have much to say about the world. I used to have all kinds of opinions about things, and could hold up my end of most any conversation. Then I quit watching TV (because it sucks) and then I quit listening to the radio (because it repeats) and then I quit reading the paper (because it sensationalizes violence) and then I just sort of quit finding current events interesting.

I suspect that, after many years, I have arrived at the truth. Not that things are not interesting. Things not being interesting is perhaps a good thing (as the asian would say.) What is the truth is that I have little to contribute that is unique or that furthers the matter. My not saying anything is therefore important; no noise is good noise.

On the other hand, I have children. They are still young and brash enough to not know what they don't know. I find that encouraging. I think I'll let them yak it up on my behalf. Well, perhaps I'll try and steer them in useful directions. I don't know. I don't know what's useful anymore.

They will tell me what's useful, no doubt, when the time comes.

As for my wife, she is amazing. Never fails to be interested in things. Never fails to have a thought, often controversial. She worries that she offends people. I laugh. They are idiots, I tell her, eat them alive but be ready for them to hate you. And they do, so she is often alone. But we are cats, she and I, and know the quiet places. We are forgiven. Or we don't matter, which is about the same.

Would our children grow up differently if wife and I were more successfully social? And, would they be happier children and better as adults? Or does it not matter over much? I wonder about it, but I do not worry. We are as we are, love our kids and work hard for them, try to impart something of what we know while we can. While we are alive.

We are older. We started having a family late in life. I will be 55 years old when my daughter, my eldest child, is a legal adult. She could leave home. I would be thinking ahead to retirement. Watching my pension account monthly, fretting over the rate of growth. Calculating my future fixed income while she considers her first job. Is that a problem? Will she hate me for being old when she is trying to grow up?

We shall see. We shall see.

They are good kids. Sweet children.

I love them. I do I do I do. Fact.