user since
Sun Sep 25 2005 at 23:46:46 (18.6 years ago )
last seen
Tue Oct 11 2005 at 23:03:17 (18.5 years ago )
number of write-ups
2 - View starryknight's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 29
mission drive within everything
expression of creativity
specialties
jack of all trades, master of none but try me on psychology and human behavior
motto
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit
most recent writeup
Make the move
Send private message to starryknight

After a life of seeking self-improvement, I finally gave up and moved to Alaska, where I now reside at the 'end of the road' with my husband and partner and our dog, Clyde, a rescue identified as a newfoundland-retriever mix.

We moved here a year ago. I am fifty-one and I consider that significant to my current state of mind and being.

I love philosophy, art, literature, and reading. I write and paint. I hope to participate more actively in the outdoors hiking, kayaking, and camping in Alaska in the next year. I had just begun semi-serious mountaineering (climbed Snowmass in Colorado, a fourteener) and rock-climbing when I was injured snow skiing in 1998. I have not yet resumed those activities at any meaningful way. It is good for me to be in nature and physical exertion as I live so much in my head.

I became a mother at age seventeen and raised two daughters who are now thirty-one and thirty-three. I have six grandchildren - five boys, ages 16, 14, 10, 9, 4 and one grand-daughter, age 2. They live in Colorado, New Hampshire, and Georgia.

I spent much of my life in survival mode. I am now beyond survival mode but the primitive brain doesn't think so.

I dropped out of high school. I got a GED, then a one-year certificate in broadcasting in my twenties. In my thirties I completed a BA degree in English. In my forties I completed and MSW. Since I got a graduate degree, I wish I would have gone for an MFA instead of an MSW.

I was a rock and roll radio announcer and music director in my first life. Since then, I have taught high-school English, coached Speech Forensics, and worked as a social worker in child protective services.

I am currently semi-retired, substitute teach all grade levels about one day a week and hope to structure my life such that I can become a productive writer and painter. I would like to teach one college course, but it's not easy to get university level teaching jobs even on a contract basis.

I am trying to make the adjustment, both to making a major move to Alaska from California (having lived the majority of my life in Colorad) and to mid-life.