Principles of Strikes and Punches

Under extreme stress and unusual situations it is human nature to act reflexively to a situation. This is a defense mechanism to survive. Generally in any hand-to-hand confrontations, punches are thrown. Most people resort to punching because it is a natural reaction to a threat, it is a physical reflexive action. There are ways to develop these reflexive actions into conscious actions, in order to increase their effectiveness in such a situation.
Before discussing the punches, it is important to name and explain the principles of a proper strike.

The four principles of a good strike are:

  • Muscular Relaxation
  • Weight Transfer
  • Telegraphing
  • Rapid Retraction

Muscular Relaxation:
Muscle relaxation must be emphasized at all times during practice. The natural tendency in a fight is to tense up, which results in rapid fatigue, decreased power generation, slower reaction time and more telegraphing. The fighter who can remain relaxed during a combat situation generates greater speed, which results in greater power. Also, relaxing your forearm improves reaction time. At the point of impact, clench your fist and tense the muscles in your arm to avoid injury to your wrist and hand.

Weight Transfer:
As is taught in Pa Gua Zhang, as much movement should come from the hips as possible. Using the large muscle groups of the body is the easiest way to generate power. This is accomplished in four basic ways: Rotating your shoulders and hips into an attack, moving your body mass forward or backward in a straight line, dropping your body weight into an opponent, or pushing off from the ground.
When executing any of the punches detailed here, it is very important that you do not draw your hand back in order to generate power. weight transfer is the proper way to generate power.

Telegraphing:
Telegraphing is the (involuntary) act of giving away your next move by your movements. You can telegraph your intention to attack by drawing your hand back in preparation for a punch, tensing your neck muscles, twitching, looking at your target area, or changing your facial expression. If your opponent is a trained fighter, he may be able to evade (dodge), counter (hit back) or neutralize (grab your wrist and employ a lock) your attack. Even untrained fighters may be able to minimize the effect of your attack. Staying relaxed (muscle relaxation) is the easiest way to prevent telegraphing.
When executing any of the punches detailed here, it is very important that you do not draw your hand back in order to generate power. weight transfer is the proper way to generate power.

Rapid Retraction:
When delivering a punch, it is important to rapidly retract your fist. Once you have made contact, quickly return to the basic warrior stance. The longer your arm is extended, the longer your opponent has to take it from you and break it.

Before getting into the meat of the (relatively simple) punches, it is important to note the proper way to make a fist. To to so, curl the fingers naturally into the palm of the hand and place the thumb across the index and middle fingers. Do not clench the fist until you actually punch. this timing takes practice, and it's generally a better idea to tighten up a little too soon than a little too late.
Contact should be made with the first knuckle of the index and middle fingers. When contact is made, your fist should be rotated so that your palm faces the ground, and your wrist should be held firmly straight, such that you can trace a straight line from your knuckles to the crook of your arm.
When executing any of the punches detailed here, it is very important that you do not draw your hand back in order to generate power. weight transfer is the proper way to generate power.
Now that I've said that three times, you have no excuse to telegraph your punches.

That said, there are four basic punches. in order of complexity, they are:

  • the Lead hand punch
  • the Rear hand punch
  • the Hook
  • the Uppercut
The Lead hand punch
The lead hand punch is a snapping straight punch executed by the lead (forward) hand. It is a fast punch desighed to stun your opponent and set up your follow-on attack. A lead hand punch conceals movement and allows you to get close to the opponent. Lead hand punches should strike soft tissue areas, if possible.
to execute a lead hand punch:
First, assume the basic warrior stance.
Next, snap your lead hand out to 90% extension while rotating your palm toward the ground.
Twist your shoulders so that your lead shoulder is toward your opponent.
Ensure that you keep your rear hand up to protect your head, make contact with the first two knuckles of your lead hand, and be careful not to fully extend your arm.
Immidiately retract your hand and resume the basic warrior stance.

The Rear hand punch
The rear hand punch is a snapping punch executed by the rear hand. It is a power punch designed to inflict maximum damage on your opponent. Its power comes from the arm, shoulders, hips and legs. to execute the rear hand punch:
First, assume the basic warrior stance.
Next, forcefully rotate your hips and shoulders towrad your opponent and thrust your rear hand straight out, palm down, to 90% extension.
Shift your body weight to your lead foot while pushing off on the ball of your rear foot. Your rear heel may raise or flare off the ground.
Ensure that you keep your lead hand up to protect your head, make contact with the first two knuckles of your hand, and be careful not to fully extend your arm.
Immidiately retract your hand and resume the basic warrior stance.

The Hook
The hook is a powerful punch that is executed in close and is usually preceeded by a preparatory strike. its power comes from its proximity to the torso as well as the muscles in the legs and torso. The muscles of the arm play a small role in the hook.
To execute the hook:
First, assume the basic warrior stance.
Next, drop your rear hand down by rotating it at the elbow so that your forearm is paralell to the ground.
Twist your hips and shoulders toward your opponent, striking him in the ribs, kidneys, abdomen, or what have you.
Ensure you Keep your lead hand up to protect your head and make contact with the first two knuckles of your hand.
Immidiately retract your hand, resuming the basic warrior stance.

The Uppercut
The uppercut is a powerful punch originating below your opponent's line of vision. it is executed in an upward motion travelling up the center line of your opponent's body. It is delivered in close and usually follows a preparatory strike that leaves the target area unprotected.
When delivered to the chin or jaw, the uppercut can render an opponent unconscious, cause extensive damage to the neck, or sever the tongue.
To execute an uppercut:
First, assume the basic warrior stance.
Next, bend your arm by bringing your rear hand down toward your abdomen and turn your hand so that your palm faces your body. To get a stronger uppercut, you may drop your weight by bending slightly at the knees.
Thrust your fist straight up toward your opponent's chin or jaw. Power here is generated in two ways: by transferring your body weight from low to high (using the leg muscles) and forcefully rotating your shoulder and hip toward your opponent.
Ensure you keep your lead hand up to protect your head and make contact with the first two knuckles of your hand.
Immidiately retract your hand, resuming the basic warrior stance.

And there you have it. Four basic punches. As you practice and gain proficiency of them, you will start to get ideas for chaining them together, i.e. a lead hand punch followed by a rear hand punch, a hook followed by an uppercut, or a lead hand punch followed by a forward left step and a hook. Practicing chains is as important as practicing the punches separately, in order to fluidly move from one punch to the next.

Up: Tan Belt
Next: Breakfalls
Previous: Basic Warrior Stance and Angles of Movement