OLLIE

The ollie is a skateboard maneuver in which the rider jumps upward while using his feet to pull the board upward. There is a wealth of tutorials on the web relating the exact methods of executing an ollie, so I will not add to the clutter with one of my own.

I wish to briefly stress the most important things to be considered when attempting an ollie. The single most important part of the ollie is the slapping of the tail to the ground. This is most often referred to as the "pop" the idea is to get the nose of the board up and begin to suck the board up under you while not merely leaping off of it. The board is lifted and leveled out by sliding the side of the front shoe up the griptape and using the friction to pull the board into the air.

This will require much practice. Once you have achieved control over small ollies, you can begin to work up the height. A high ollie is well respected in the skateboarding world, and is the gateway to many other tricks. There are many variations of the ollie including but not limited to the fakie ollie(fakie means rolling backwards), nollie (nose ollie), and switch ollie(done in the foot positioning and rolling direction that is not your natural stance).if you have only done ollies standing still, you will find them more difficult to perform while rolling

The ollie was first done in empty swimming pools with curved sides by rolling up the side to the coping or lip of the pool, performing the ollie and then coming back down. The ollie was invented in the 1970's by Alan "Ollie" Gelfand, who was later discovered by skateboarding great Stacey Peralta, (professional skater, innovator, cofounder of Powell-Peralta skateboards, and became a professional skater. the ollie became one of the root tricks of skateboarding.