My father has owned a Risk (board game by the Parker brothers) set for 30 years, and on the box there's a picture of a family which was clearly taken in the 50's or 60's. I've never played Risk on anything other than this set.

And I've played a lot.

When I think of the game Risk, I think of the badly proportioned blobs which represent countries, with lovely shades of purple and yellow and green, depending on which continent the country is in. I think of the little blocks of colored wood that represent armies, all different sizes and some with corners missing and such. I think of the frayed cards and the box which needs to be held from the bottom on account of it's condition.

And now my father has bought a new risk set, with 3D illustrations of the coastlines, and instead of non-identical blocks of wood representing the armies, it comes with mass-produced detailed plastic soldiers, on which you can see their weapon and their facial expression. There are little plastic cannons and cavalry. I have to admit, it's pretty cool.

Now the old set is useless in comparision. It has been thrown out.

God-knows how many years of history has been thrown out with it. The time my brother and I actually beat my father at the ages of 6 and 8. The time we convinced my grandmother to play with her then whipped her ass silly. Every time my mother actually won for a change. It's gone.

That's my sad story for the day.