FBI's Carnivore Gobbles Lots of E-Mail

Recent press reports confirm the roll-out of a new Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) system called Carnivore, which is designed to covertly search electronic mail messages to and from targeted criminal suspects, but could also compromise the privacy of millions of Internet users. The system, which is installed directly into an Internet service provider's network, reportedly can scan millions of messages each second. The FBI recently demonstrated the Carnivore system to telecommunications industry representatives, many of whom are disturbed by the prospect of having the invasive technology installed on their internal systems and administered by federal agents.

Public details concerning Carnivore's capabilities are sketchy. The existence of the system, a.k.a. DCS1000 was first revealed by attorney Robert Corn-Revere in Congressional testimony in April. He described a case in which government agents sought to install Carnivore on the system of an ISP he represented. Published reports suggest that the system could give the government the ability to intercept the communications of all of an ISP's customers, not just those of a targeted criminal suspect. Even when programmed to obtain only the communications of a suspect, Carnivore would enable government agents to intercept the actual content of e-mail messages without first making a showing of probable cause as required by the Fourth Amendment and federal wiretap statutes.
Sources: Robert Corn-Revere's testimony on Carnivore: http://www.house.gov/judiciary/corn0406.htm
EPIC newsletter: Jul 13, 2000 : http://www.epic.org/alert/EPIC_Alert_7.13.html
National Post, p. 1, July 13, 2000 : "Email eaten by FBI's Carnivore" www.nationalpost.com