I know this is going to be a little odd of a point, but how alternate is alternate? An OS that's not Mac OS, Windows, or Linux is going to severely limit a user's technical support options, software choices, and ultimately usability of a platform. Linux is on the fringe end of every-day usability, since there is some software for it (including a browser, office suite, and a few other needed items). There is a reason why Windows and MacOS do well; market share and user base are not to be sneezed at. They have stood the test of time, and have the history of user-end software to show for it.

In a research situation, people should be exposed to all sorts of alternate (and non-alternate, under the same token) operating systems. Be, QNX real-time platform, BSDs, etc. should be included in the choice of a system for learning, however, for doing work, it may be best to stick with a platform that has the features, software, and hardware support that you desire. It makes no sense to set up your AOL-using parents with something other than Windows or Mac just for the indignant sense of "going against the grain", and giving them a "learning experience". A computer is simply a tool; would you give your parents a tool that they could learn a lot about, or more easily use; given simply that this sort of learning does not interest them?

Alternate OS's are great for many things, and even better for the learner, as it forces them to think outside of the mold, and to break convention a bit (Be is a great example). Windows and Mac especially are designed to bring computing to the masses, both at home, and in the workplace.

When a co-worker asks to be "hooked up to the Internet" do you think he simply wants TCP bits coming in across routers and through the gateway? No, he wants to see sports scores, chat with his buddies over AIM, and maybe visit a few *ahem* sites. How would QNX help him in a squeeze? How would he get support for that? Wouldn't Windows 98 SE be a more sensible choice given your range of user, given the common user scenario?

Usually when users come to me and ask what kind of computer they want, it comes down to a simple choice: Windows or Macintosh. People who are using the computer just to use it as a tool (not as a way of life) do not care who builds their software. If people want a better user experience, easier setup, and don't mind the higher price, then go with Macintosh. Otherwise, Windows makes perfect sense. Sure, there are other choices, but when a problem comes up, Joe Schmo the computer guy off the street or around the corner is not going to be able to help them. Let's not try to raise the user bar when it has no where to go; most users will sign on, leave their computer on, and check a web page now and again, or type a paper. Until the average user wants to mess with their mail routing, set up cron jobs, and feels like patching their kernel every now and again, then I'm going to suggest Windows or Mac* every time.

* Even now Mac OS X is a really great blend of the power of Unix, the control given to a consumer OS, and the amount of software needed to be useful and productive.