A description of how the Northern hemisphere Summer Solstice looks at different places on the Earth.

The (Northern hemisphere) Summer solstice is the longest day of the year only for points on the Earth North of the Equator (and South of the Arctic circle). It is the shortest day of the year South of the Equator (and North of the Antarctic circle). (Days and nights are strange in the Arctic and Antarctic circles…)

On the Equator, the sun rises at a point about 23.5 degrees North of due East, climbs to an altitude of 66.5 degrees above the horizon due North at noon, then sets about 23.5 degrees North of due West, following a semicircle in the sky. It travels to the right across the sky all day (except at dawn and dusk where it is moving directly up or down with no sideways movement). From every point on the Earth, it will appear that the sun travels in a circle on the celestial sphere with a radius of 66.5 degrees, centred due North. On the Equator, this circle is centred on the horizon - so half of the circle is above the horizon, and half is below. This means that the day has 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night (like every other day on the Equator, actually). The further North you go, the higher the centre of the circle gets, so the more hours of daylight you get, until the entire circle is above the horizon - and the sun never sets. Conversely, the further South you go, the lower the centre of the circle gets, the fewer the hours of daylight, until the entire circle is below the horizon - and the sun never rises.

Between the Equator and the Tropic of Cancer, the sun rises and sets closer to due North, and gets higher during the daytime than at the Equator (but always stays in the North half of the sky). Just after sunrise, the sun travels up and left across the sky, at noon it is travelling right, and just before sunset it is travelling down and left again. The further North you go, the more the sun travels left and the less it travels right. On the Tropic of Cancer, the sun hits zenith at midday, when it is travelling neither left nor right (but it goes left all the rest of the day).

Between the Tropic of Cancer and the Arctic circle, the sun rises still further North of East and sets equally North of West. It travels to the left across the sky all day. It reaches it's highest point due South, and this highest point gets lower the further North you go. On the Arctic circle, the sun follows a circle in the sky, grazing the horizon tangentially to the North at midnight and reaching it's highest point 47 degrees above the horizon due South at noon. On the Arctic circle and further North you get a full 24 hours of daylight.

Between the Arctic circle and the North pole, the sun is higher at midday and lower at midnight, but is in the sky the whole time. At the North pole, the sun stays at the same altitude above the horizon all day (23.5 degrees), and traces a circle around zenth. It travels left all day.

Going South from the Equator, between it and the Antarctic circle, there are many things the same as between the Equator and the Tropic of Cancer. Again, the sun rises and sets at points closer to the North than at the Equator. Again, the sun stays in the North half of the sky and travels right all day. The big difference, of course, is that the highest altitude the sun reaches (at noon) gets lower instead of higher the further you get from the Equator, and the daylight hours get fewer. (On the Tropic of Capricorn, the sun actually hits nadir at midnight - but this cannot be observed directly, so it is not nearly as significant as the sun hitting zenith on the Tropic of Cancer.) On the Antarctic circle, the sun grazes the horizon (due North) but doesn't rise. Inside the Antarctic circle, the sun never gets above the horizon at all during the day.

It is worth noting that the Northern hemisphere Summer solstice is called the Winter solstice in the Southern hemisphere, and the Southern hemisphere Summer solstice is called the Winter solstice in the Northern hemisphere.

There are such effects as the refraction caused by the atmosphere, and the fact that the Earth's orbit is slightly eccentric causing it to orbit faster at perihelion and slower at aphelion, that I have not taken into account in this writeup.