user since
Sun Apr 1 2001 at 22:52:32 (23 years ago )
last seen
Sun Apr 1 2001 at 23:48:29 (23 years ago )
number of write-ups
1 - View darwinoid's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 0
specialties
History of Biology
school/company
Arizona State University
most recent writeup
Robert Chambers
Send private message to darwinoid

Lecturer with Barrett Honors College of Arizona State University, and an Affiliate Professor with the Institute of Human Origins. Trained in evolutionary biology, I have shifted into research in the history and cultural context of evolutionary thought. Particular interests include Victorian responses to evolutionary ideas and the resurgence of the "Argument from Design?" as "Intelligent Design Theory?".

I am the editor of "Vestiges and the Debates Before Darwin" (2000), "British Responses to Natural Selection, 1859-1871" (2001), and "Creationism and Scriptural Geology, 1817 - 1857" (in prep.). I also authored the entry on the history of biological sciences for "The Readers Guide to British History" (2001), and essays on Adam Sedgwick and Robert Chambers for "The Dictionary of Nineteenth Century British Philosophers" (in press) for which I also was the contributing editor for entries relating to evolutionary thought. I am currently studying Sedgwick's anti-evolutionism particularly in relation to pre-Darwinian ideas.

I also edit the History of Science and Technology section and a lead reviewer for biology and zoology within the Nupedia Project.