Not your typical chowder but certainly makes for a nice change of pace . I made this over the weekend and feasted on it for a couple of days. Makes about six servings

Ingredients

1/4 lb bacon slices, cut into 1/4" strips (Now, the recipe says you can substitute 4 tbsps butter for the bacon, I stayed with the bacon)
2 medium onions, peeled and diced
1 garlic clove - minced (Being a lover of garlic, I used two)
1 quart of heavy cream
4 red (new) potatoes, quartered and cut into 1/4" slices (I cubed "em)
1 pound asparagus, peeled (I just rinsed thoroughly), cut into 1/4" diagonal slices - tips left whole
1 pound fresh boneless salmon filet, cut into 1/2" cubes - skin removed. (I used the tail end of the salmon - its less expensive and cooks up in the chowder just as well).

Directions

In a large heavy bottomed pot - cook the bacon (or melt the butter if you decided to substitute). When the bacon begins to brown (or the butter is melted) add the diced onions. Continue cooking on low heat, stirring every now and then, until the onion is transparent. Add the minced garlic and stir. Cook for a minute or two. Starting to smell pretty good huh? Okay, now add the cream. Continue cooking on medium/low heat until it starts to simmer. Add the potatoes and continue to simmer until they get tender - about 15 or 20 minutes - stirring occasionally. Add the asparagus and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Add the salmon, stir once or twice and remove from heat. After about 3 minutes the salmon cubes should be poached to perfection. Add salt and pepper to suit your taste and enjoy...