Chocolat

Motion picture released in 2000, based upon the novel by Joanne Harris
Director: Lasse Hallström
Screenplay by Robert Nelson Jacobs
Distributed by Miramax
Running time 121 min

Adding to the previous writeup, one has to mention the fantastic acting performances by Juliet Binoche and Judi Dench (M in the Bond-films, the queen in Shakespeare in love and lots, lots more). The other actors does not impress as much, but that has more to do with the film being told as an old tale, using stereotypes and not giving the actors very much room. Hallström has left no room for subtlety, but that is probably necessary when releasing a movie about bigotry and double standards in the U.S.... 

It is interesting to see Johnny Depp working together with Hallström since their first time What's eating Gilbert Grape. The role as Gilbert Grape was Johnny's first "serious" role, not specifically catering for an audience of young girls. Binoche, on her side, has matured beautifully as an actress since her early roles in Les Amants du Pont-Neuf and the Trois Coleurs-trilogy together with Krzysztof Kieslowski. Her English is fantastic now, and she has added a warmth and joy to her acting that really shows and which is promising for the future.