user since
Sun Oct 7 2001 at 19:35:14 (22.5 years ago )
last seen
Tue May 5 2009 at 20:18:20 (15 years ago )
number of write-ups
1 - View ajpiano's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 7
most recent writeup
The same people with different names
Send private message to ajpiano

This was my first everything contribution. But then I, with the encouragemnt of various others, realised that it really was less pertinent to the node than I had hoped. In fact, I realised I didn't even know how to node. Whoops. And though I've "been" here a year, I only started reading everything in earnest a month ago

--adam

wow, my first everything contribution.

I was eight years old. I was in the middle of registering for AOL, this back in the days when the maximum amount of characters was ten, not sixteen. I kept thinking...trying things about football (american), WdRecevr, etc. everything was taken. This is when I realised that I could connect my piano playing and my first and middle initials. A. J. Piano. wow.

I was also enamoured with the SimCity series of games, and found the concept of words with two capital letters in them *extremely* cool. AJPiano.

Sure, this suited me for a while. I kept some other nicknames around, using different names at different sites. This was a period when my friends were changing nicknames and screen names at a furious pace. By this point, I'm about twelve.

Though I'd been using computers since I was two, I finally got my own when I was thirteen years old. It moved to my room and I became a twenty-four/seven user. I started registering for bulletin boards and other sites. AJPiano.

When I was nearly fourten and one-half, in August of 2000, I registered for the bulletin boards from Lionhead Studios. AJPiano. Then, I discovered IRC in #lionhead, and at that point I did not know that I'd stumbled across a life-changing phenomenon and some of the greatest friends I have. About this time, I also began to develop a general displeasure with capital letters, finding them aesthetically displeasing. ajpiano.

Suddenly, ajpiano was me. I was ajpiano. March 2001, I started work on ajpiano.topcities.com. I grew as a webdesigner, poet and person. Still was on IRC all the time. February 2002, I decided to register www.ajpiano.com.

By this point, I've had one nickname for more than half of my life. People call me AJ now, they hadn't before. A search for ajpiano on Google yields me. I am the ajpiano, and the two concepts have become eerily convergent.

A nickname can become more than you expect. Pick yours wisely.