I woke up to the sound of thumping, a feeling of falling and a frightening sweaty hotness all around me. It's my blanket, I'm in bed, I'm on the ground, I'm safe. Nothing but a dream.

I breathe.

I open my eyes to the darkness all around me. My clock tells me it's 4 AM, the floor below me is an invisible abyss my legs disappear into it as I stand up. Groggily, I inch my way to the door, I walk down the hallway to the bathroom, a nightlight burns my eyes as I walk in. I don't even turn on the light and, groggily, I do my business. My eyes had adjusted to the nightlight, now the hall is darker than before. I feel the frightened voice of a six-year-old me whispering about monsters in the darkness. The hairs on my neck stand on end as I go back.

My room is invisible I can see nothing, my eyes might as well be closed. I feel my way over the carpet and...wait, where is it. My bed is gone. I open my useless eyes, still finding nothing, I make it all the way to the wall. Nothing. I go back to the door and flip the switch. Nothing. The lightbulb casts shadows over the room. The voice of my childhood starts whispering again, I can practically hear it crying. I turn to go out the door and it isn't there. I feel wall all around me.

The floor all around me is bare, I crawl on it looking for anything that can give me light. I find empty floor. I go to the opposite wall and am stopped, I'm already there. The walls are moving, closing in around me. Suddenly I hear a noise, a heavy breathing and a soft constant thrum. It's my heart and breath. Panic is setting in on my mind. I can hear the child again, but...it's not in my head. I can HEAR it crying, it tells me the monsters are coming, coming out of the darkness. I curl into a ball on the floor which I cannot see and then it is gone...everything is gone. I feel nothing beneath me, I'm falling into the abyss. I scream and gasp for air, the wind rushes by me. I keep going faster and faster. I can't see it, but I feel the ground rushing towards me. A wave of blackness that will destroy me. I flail and wave but my death is upon me. I-

-woke up to the sound of thumping, a feeling of falling and a frightening sweaty hotness all around me. It's my blanket, I'm in bed, I'm on the ground, I'm safe. Nothing but a dream.