Australian Rules, or Aussie Rules, is a sport unique to Australia. It originated from the Irish game of Gaelic Football in the mid-1800s. The first recorded game of Australian Rules took place in Melbourne on 7 August 1858 between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar and it was in that year that the rules of the game were formalised into a code.

The code is most popular in the southern states of Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania, but with the formation of major clubs in Sydney in 1983, the sport is now widely followed in New South Wales and Queensland.

Australian Rules is played on a large oval pitch between two teams, each of 18 players. The teams try to score goals (six points) through the centre posts, or behinds (one point) through the outer posts. The ball may be kicked or punched (handballed), but it may not be thrown. It is a game of positional play, each position using the basic skills of kicking, handball, marking, baulking and shepherding.

Kicking - Soccer excepted, Australian Rules uses more kicking than any other code. The advantage of kicking over other methods of getting rid of the ball, eg hand passing, is distance. The drop kick, drop punt and torpedo punt are the basc kicks of the game.

Handball - This skill must be mastered with both hands; the ball is held with one hand until struck with the clenched fist of the other. It can be used defensively or as an attacking skill to open up play.

Marking - A crowd-pleasing feature of the game. Height in the player is helpful but the main essentials of good marking are an ability to spring or leap into the air, and timing and judgement in getting into position. The player must always keep his eye firmly on the ball when taking a mark. The two kinds of marks are called 'high' and 'body'.

Baulking, Spinning, Pivoting and Shepherding - These are important team skills which can check or block the approach or tackle of an opponent. Tackling must be below the shoulders and above the knees.