user since
Mon Jul 5 2004 at 09:05:10 (19.8 years ago )
last seen
Wed May 3 2006 at 05:52:46 (18 years ago )
number of write-ups
10 - View Norwest's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 83
specialties
Everything.
school/company
Humboldt State University.
motto
If I cared, I'd have been listening.
most recent writeup
Colt
Send private message to Norwest

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

-- John Stuart Mill

To the fool, he who speaks wisdom will sound foolish.

-- Euripides

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

-- Ayn Rand

Beware the leader who bangs the drum of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded patriotism will offer up all of their rights unto the leader, and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.

-- Not Julius Caesar. Still a good bit of prose, though.

The people who are regarded as moral luminaries are those who forego ordinary pleasures themselves and find compensation in interfering with the pleasures of others.

-- Bertrand Russell