A super-hero created by Gerry Conway for DC Comics

What would have happened if Steve Austin (the Six-Million Dollar Man) had been been operated on by a group of surgeons with no ethics and money to burn? The answer is Steel, a super-hero and former member of the Justice League of America.

Steel was actually Hank Heywood II, grandson to the World War II hero, Commander Steel. Commander Steel was the subject of a government experiment that replaced most of his body with mechanical parts. The experiment gave him super-strength, invulnerability, and heightened senses. Commander Steel fought the Nazis with the All-Star Squadron, and later became a wealthy industrialist. Commander Steel had a son, who was later killed in Vietnam. Commander Steel then decided to take his grandson, Hank, and make him undergo the same process that he had undergone years before, showing once again the danger in not telling a grandparent what you want for your birthday. Hank emerged from the process as the hero Steel.

Steel joined the Justice League during one of their leaner periods. He with a number of other newcomers along with Martian Manhunter, Zatanna, Elongated Man, and Aquaman made up the League at that time. They used an old bunker in Detroit which belonged to his grandfather for a headquarters.

Steel was eventually killed fighting androids sent by the Justice League villain, Professor Ivo. Martian Manhunter and Vixen brought Ivo to justice.