I’m not very good at html. I accept that. I really do.

So when I’m about to post a wu, sometimes I have to figure out how to do things. Not the simple things, I can italicize and bold. I can even make lists and center paragraphs. But sometimes, more obscure code is required. Namely, for symbols.

In any case.

This afternoon I was going through my mail. Two credit card offers and three bills. I dislike bills. Especially when my paycheck is several days late and the balance in my bank account is less than ten times the number of hours I spent online today. Suffice to say, I absolutely loathed bills this evening. And I didn’t want to pay them. So I didn’t. I put them aside and covered them with yesterday’s paper.

Then I went to escape.

But, while increasing the difference between my bank account and logged hours this evening, I couldn’t for the life of me remember what the code was to create a diamond in html. I just couldn’t.

Questing time.

I started searching. Google first, but I got very lazy very quickly. With over a thousand pages to search and no promising leads in the first ten results, there had to be an easier way. After several minutes of blankly staring at my homenode, the answer came.

One more quick check… yes, Firefox has that feature. Promptly I began a new search, this time without the help of Google. Everything2 would be my teacher today, and all I needed to do locate a writeup that featured a diamond. Or something like it.

It only took a couple of minutes.

There it was. What I had been waiting for. It was beautiful, there, between the two paragraphs. The node: On Neptune, it rains diamonds. I remember reading it long ago, but now the meaning of the words are twofold. I was almost too excited to execute the new plan. How could something so ingenious, nay, so simple, never have occurred to me before?

Slowly, I moved the cursor up to the top of the screen. The node in front of me, I clicked on “View.” One more step. My heart was beating, this was the moment of truth. Seemingly without my leave the cursor moved down to “Page Source,” and clicked.

Needless to say, I was shocked. What possible rational explanation could there be? Was there someone out there who was watching me through the window in the front room? This isn't possible.

Right in front of me, in that sadistic green type that denotes a comment in html, the page source for the node "On Neptune, it rains diamonds" was telling me to pay the bills. More specifically, it said “hey kids! Time to pay the bills.” And that was all.

Not knowing what else to do, I went and got out my checkbook.


A note to fellow noders: after taking a second look, I found that this comment exists on every page in e2. It's right before the header. See for yourself!
Update: this depends on the theme, it has been brought to my attention that those using ekw get "Monkey! Bat! Robot Hat!" instead. Props to OldMiner for pointing this out.
Also: upon further investigation, it appears that this only exists in ekw or jukka.

And a respectful tip 'o the hat to all of those who perished in Nagasaki 59 years ago.