The First Khandhaka Sections 26–30
Admission to the Order of Bhikkhus

The First Khandhaka is the first part of the Mahavagga.
The Mahavagga is the first part of the Khandhaka.
The Khandhaka is the second part of the Vinaya Pitaka ("Basket of Discipline").
The Vinaya Pitaka is the first part of the Tipitaka ("Three Baskets"), a.k.a. the Pali Canon.
The Tipitaka is the major religious text of Theravada Buddhism.

« Previous | Contents | Next »

The First Khandhaka (Pali for "Expositions") is quite a long piece (the longest of the four Khandhakas in the Mahavagga), divided into seventy-nine parts, containing stories concerning the origin of the rules of the Patimokkha by giving an account of what the Buddha did following his enlightenment. This excerpt deals largely with rules of the initiation of bhikkhus (monks) and the relationship between upagghâyas (teachers) and saddhivihârikas (students).

The text was translated by T. W. Rhys Davids and Hermann Oldenberg in 1881; the translation is in the public domain. It was taken from http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/sbe13/index.htm. Text in [square brackets] (and all pipelinks) was added and does not appear in the translation; text in (parentheses) does appear in the translation.


26

1 'The upagghâya, O Bhikkhus, ought to observe a strict conduct towards his saddhivihârika. And these are the rules for his conduct: Let the upagghâya, O Bhikkhus, afford (spiritual) help and furtherance to the saddhivihârika by teaching by putting questions to him, by exhortation, by instruction. If the upagghâya has an alms-bowl and the saddhivihârika has not, let the upagghâya give the alms-bowl to the saddhivihârika or take care that the saddhivihârika gets an alms-bowl. If the upagghâya has a robe and the saddhivihârika has not, let the upagghâya give the robe, &c. If the upagghâya has the articles (required for a Bhikkhu) and the saddhivihârika has not, &c.

2–6 'If the saddhivihârika is sick, let (the upagghâya) arise betimes and give him the teeth-cleanser and water to rinse his mouth with. Then let him prepare a seat (for the saddhivihârika). If there is rice-milk (&c., as in [1st Khandhaka 25:8, 9], down to:), and give it him with some water in it. When he expects: "Now he must be about to return," let him prepare a seat, get water for the washing of his feet (&c., as in [1st Khandhaka 25:10–13], down to:). Let him offer to the saddhivihârika water to drink.

7-10 'If the Vihâra in which the saddhivihârika dwells, is dirty . . . . (&c., as in [1st Khandhaka 25:14–22]).

11 'If the robe of the saddhivihârika must be washed, let the upagghâya tell the saddhivihârika: "Thus must you wash your robe," or let him take care that the saddhivihârika's robe is washed. If a robe must be made for the saddhivihârika, let the upagghâya tell the saddhivihârika: "Thus must you make the robe," or let him take care that the saddhivihârika's robe is made. If dye must be boiled for the saddhivihârika, &c. If the robe of the saddhivihârika must be dyed, let the upagghâya tell, &c. When he dyes the robe, let him dye it properly, and turn it whenever required, and let him not go away before the dye has ceased to drop. If the saddhivihârika is sick, let him nurse him as long as his life lasts and wait until he has recovered.'

End of the duties towards a saddhivihârika.

27

1 At that time the saddhivihârikas did not observe a proper conduct towards their upagghâyas. The moderate Bhikkhus [an abbreviation of "Those Bhikkhus who were moderate, frugal modest, conscientious, anxious for training" in 1st Khandhaka 25:3] were annoyed, murmured, and became angry, saying, 'How can the saddhivihârikas not observe a proper conduct towards their upagghâyas?' These Bhikkhus told this thing to the Blessed One.

(Then Buddha questioned the Bhikkhus): 'Is it true, O Bhikkhus, that the saddhivihârikas do not observe a proper conduct towards their upagghâyas?' (They replied): 'It is true, Lord.' Then the blessed Buddha rebuked those Bhikkhus: 'How can the saddhivihârikas, O Bhikkhus, not observe a proper conduct towards their upagghâyas?' Having rebuked them and delivered a religious discourse, he thus addressed the Bhikkhus: 'Let a saddhivihârika, O Bhikkhus, not forbear to observe a proper conduct towards his upagghâya. He who does not observe it, is guilty of a dukkata offence.' [Dukkata offenses are those which are not mentioned in the Patimokkha. Penance was a confession of the offense.]

2 Notwithstanding this, they did not observe a proper conduct. They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'I ordain, O Bhikkhus, to turn away (a saddhivihârika) who does not observe a proper conduct. And he ought, O Bhikkhus, to be turned away in this way: (The upagghâya is to say): "I turn you away," or, "Do not come back hither," or, "Take away your alms-bowl and robe," or, "I am not to be attended by you any more." Whether he express this by gesture, or by word, or by gesture and word, the saddhivihârika has then been turned away. If he does not express this by gesture, nor by word, nor by gesture and word, the saddhivihârika has not been turned away.'

3 At that time saddhivihârikas who had been turned away did not beg pardon (of their upagghâyas). They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that (a saddhivihârika who has been turned away) should, beg pardon (of his upagghâya).'

They did not beg pardon notwithstanding. They told, &c.

'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that (a saddhivihârika) who has been turned away shall not forbear to beg pardon (of his upagghâya). If he does not beg pardon, it is a dukkata offence.'

4 At that time upagghâyas, when the saddhivihârikas begged their pardon, would not forgive them. They told, &c.

'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, forgiving.'

Notwithstanding this they did not forgive. The saddhivihârikas went away, or returned to the world, or went over to other schools. They told, &c.

'Let him who is asked for his pardon, not withhold it. He who does not forgive, is guilty of a dukkata offence.

5 At that time upagghâyas turned away (a saddhivihârika) who observed a proper conduct, and did not turn awayone who did not observe it. They told, &c.

'Let no one, O Bhikkhus, who observes a proper conduct, be turned away. He who turns him away is guilty of a dukkata offence. And let no one, O Bhikkhus, who dues not observe a proper conduct, not be turned away. (An upagghâya) who does not turn him away is guilty of a dukkata offence.

6 'In five cases, O Bhikkhus, a saddhivihârika ought to be turned away: when he does not feel great affection for his upagghâya, nor great inclination (towards him), nor much shame, nor great reverence, nor great devotion (towards the upagghâya). In these five cases, O Bhikkhus, a saddhivihârika ought to be turned away.

'In five cases, O Bhikkhus, a saddhivihârika ought not to be turned away: when he feels great affection for his upagghâya, great inclination (towards him), &c. In these five cases, O Bhikkhus, a saddhivihârika ought not to be turned away.

7 'In five cases, O Bhikkhus, it is right to turn away a saddhivihârika: when he does not feel great affection, &c. In these five cases, O Bhikkhus, it is right to turn away a saddhivihârika.

'In five cases, O Bhikkhus, it is not right, &c.

8 'In five cases, O Bhikkhus, an upagghâya who does not turn away a saddhivihârika, trespasses (against the law), and an upagghâya who turns him away, does not trespass: when he does not feel great affection, &c. In these five cases, &c.

'In five cases, O Bhikkhus, an upagghâya who turns away a saddhivihârika, trespasses (against the law), and an upagghâya who does not turn him away, does not trespass, &c.'

28

1 At that time a certain Brâhmana came to the Bhikkhus and asked them for the pabbaggâ ordination. The Bhikkhus were not willing to ordain him. As he did not obtain the pabbaggâ ordination from the Bhikkhus, he became emaciated, lean, discoloured, more and more livid, and the veins became visible all over his body.

And the Blessed One saw this Brâhmana, who had become emaciated, &c. When he had seen him, he said to the Bhikkhus: 'How is it, O Bhikkhus, that this Brâhmana has become emaciated, &c.'

'This Brâhmana, Lord, came to the Bhikkhus and asked them for the pabbaggâ ordination (&c., as above, down to:), and the veins became visible all over his body.'

2 Then the Blessed One said to the Bhikkhus: 'Now, O Bhikkhus, who remembers anything about this Brâhmana?'

When he had spoken thus, the venerable Sâriputta said to the Blessed One: 'I remember something, Lord, about this Brâhmana.'

'And what is it you remember, Sâriputta, about this Brâhmana?'

'This Brâhmana, Lord, one day, when I went through Râgagaha for alms, ordered a spoonful of food to be given to me; this is what I remember, Lord, about this Brâhmana.'

3 'Good, good, Sâriputta; pious men, Sâriputta, are gratefuI and remember what has been done to them. Therefore, Sâriputta, confer you the pabbaggâ and upasampadâ ordinations on that Brâhmana.'

'Lord, how shall I confer the pabbaggâ and upasampadâ ordinations on this Brâhmana?'

Then the Blessed One on this occasion, after having delivered a religious discourse, thus addressed the Bhikkhus: 'I abolish, O Bhikkhus, from this day the upasampadâ ordination by the threefold declaration of taking refuge, which I had prescribed. I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that you confer the upasampadâ ordination by a formal act of the Order in which the announcement (ñatti) is followed by three questions.

4 'And you ought, O Bhikkhus, to confer the upasampadâ ordination in this way: Let a learned, competent Bhikkhu proclaim the following ñatti before the Sangha:

'Let the Sangha, reverend Sirs, hear me. This person N. N., desires to receive the upasampadâ ordination from the venerable N. N. (i.e. with the venerable N. N. as his upagghâya). If the Sangha is ready, let the Sangha confer on N. N. the upasampadâ ordination with N. N. as upagghâya. This is the ñatti.

5, 6 'Let the Sangha, reverend Sirs, hear me. This person N. N. desires to receive the upasampadâ ordination from the venerable N. N. The Sangha confers on N. N. the upasampadâ ordination with N. N. as upagghâya. Let any one of the venerable brethren who is in favour of the upasampadâ ordination of N. N. with N. N. as upagghâya, be silent, and any one who is not in favour of it, speak.

'And for the second time I thus speak to you: Let the Sangha (&c., as before).

'And for the third time I thus speak to you: Let the Samgha, &c.

'N. N. has received the upasampadâ ordination from the Samgha with N. N. as upagghâya. The Sangha is in favour of it, therefore it is silent. Thus I understand1.'

29

1 At that time a certain Bhikkhu shortly after having received the upasampadâ ordination, abandoned himself to bad conduct. The Bhikkhus said to him: 'You ought not to do so, friend; it is not becoming.'

He replied: 'I never asked you, Sirs, saying, "Confer on me the upasampadâ ordination." Why have you ordained me without your being asked?'

They told this thing to the Blessed One.

'Let no one, O Bhikkhus, ordain a person unless he has been asked to do so. He who does, commits a dukkata offence. I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that you ordain only after having been asked.

2 'And (a Bhikkhu) ought to be asked in this way: Let him who desires to receive the upasampadâ ordination, go to the Sangha, adjust his upper robe so as to cover one shoulder, salute the feet of the Bhikkhus with his head, sit down squatting, raise his joined hands, and say: "I ask the Sangha, reverend Sirs, for the upasampadâ ordination; might the Sangha, reverend Sirs, draw me out (of the sinful world) out of compassion towards me." And for the second time, &c.; and for the third time let him ask, &c.

3 'Then let a learned, competent Bhikkhu proclaim the following ñatti before the Sangha: "Let the Sangha, reverend Sirs, hear me. This person N. N. desires to receive the upasampadâ ordination from the venerable N. N.; N. N. asks the Sangha for the upasampadâ ordination with N. N. as upagghâya. If the Sangha is ready, &c [here is the formula for making a ñatti described in 1st Khandhaka 28:4–6]." '

30

1 At that time an arrangement had been made at Râgagaha that the Bhikkhus were to receive excellent meals successively (in the houses of different rich upâsakas). Now (one day) a certain Brâhmana thought: 'Indeed the precepts which these Sakyaputtiya Samanas keep and the life they live are commodious; they have good meals and lie down on beds protected from the wind. What if I were to embrace the religious life among the Sakyaputtiya Samanas?' Then this Brâhmana went to the Bhikkhus and asked them for the pabbaggâ ordination; the Bhikkhus conferred the pabbaggâ and upasampadâ ordinations on him.

2 When he had been ordained, the arrangement of successive meals (with the rich upâsakas) came to an end. The Bhikkhus said to him: 'Come, friend, let us now go on our rounds for alms.'

He replied: 'I have not embraced the religious life for that purpose—to going about for alms; if you give me (food), I will eat; if you do not, I will return to the world.'

(The Bhikkhus said): 'What, friend! have you indeed embraced the religious life for your belly's sake?'

'Yes, friends.'

3 The moderate Bhikkhus were annoyed, murmured, and became angry: 'How can a Bhikkhu embrace the religious life in so well-taught a doctrine and discipline for his belly's sake?'

These Bhikkhus told this thing to the Blessed One.

(The Buddha said): 'Is it true, O Bhikkhu, that you have embraced the religious life for your belly's sake?'

(He replied): 'It is true, Lord.'

Then the blessed Buddha rebuked that Bhikkhu: 'How can you, foolish person that you are, embrace the religious life in so well-taught a doctrine and discipline for your belly's sake? This will not do, O foolish one, for converting the unconverted and for augmenting the number of the converted.'

Having rebuked him and delivered a religious discourse, he thus addressed the Bhikkhus:

4 'I prescribe, O Bhikkhus, that he who confers the upasampadâ ordination (on a Bhikkhu), tell him the four Resources.

'The religious life has morsels of food given in alms for its resource. Thus you must endeavour to live all your life. Meals given to the Sangha, to certain persons, invitations, food distributed by ticket, meals given each fortnight, each uposatha day (i.e. the last day of each fortnight), or the first day of each fortnight, are extra allowances.

'The religious life has the robe made of rags taken from a dust heap for its resource. Thus you must endeavour to live all your life. Linen, cotton, silk, woollen garments, coarse cloth, hempen cloth are extra allowances.

'The religious life has dwelling at the foot of a tree for its resource. Thus you must endeavour to live all your life. Vihâras, addhayogas, storied dwellings, attics, caves are extra allowances.

'The religious life has decomposing urine as medicine for its resource. Thus you must endeavour to live all your life. Ghee, butter, oil, honey, and molasses are extra allowances.'

Here ends the fifth Bhânavâra, which contains the duties towards upagghâyas.