There exists an episode of the once-great children's show Rugrats wherein, it may be said, events constitute a tribute to the Eugene Ionesco play "Rhinoceros." Written by purveyor of wit Doria Biddle, episode 93-03B (the second segment of the third installment of the year 1993) is called "Rhinoceritis!"*

Angelica, that devious diva of deception, has recently come into posession of a Binks McGill doctor playset and forces the babies - namely, as it happens, Chuckie - to be her patient. Performing some in-depth medical examination, she becomes concerned - something is wrong with this one. She consults her "medical referece text," a book that can be said to have a one-to-one ratio between letters to the alphabet and pictures of animals. Finding the 18th page, she diagnoses Chuckie with Rhinoceritis.

Her reasoning parallels the development of the symptoms in Ionesco's play - Chuckie is growing a horn (a bump on his head), his skin is becoming hard and scaly in places (scabs), and upon being told all of this, he becomes ornery and begins pacing back and forth.

The other Rugrats sympathize with Chuckie, despite his own despair, and promise solidarity. Of course, this solidarity has a Klasky-Csuponian** twist, being of the unwavering friendship variety rather than the unnatural solidarity symptomatic of the modern condition addressed by Ionesco.

In the end, a reversal is seen when the Rugrats discover the underlying truth - that the horn is only a bump after all, etc. They tell Angelica that she is the true rhinoceros. In true Ionescan flavour, Angelica becomes fully convinced and conforms to their perception of her, moving on to eat grass and warning her confused father that rhinos are "known to charge at random."

Another notable facet of this episode is the background activity (a feature of every episode that explains why the Rugrats' parents aren't paying attention to them) - taxes. The activity of compiling and filing deductions and the like is painted in a rather absurd light - not unlike Eugene Ionesco's own style. Arguments abound over whether french fries are deductible, is a receipt better proof of purchase than the remains of the french fry container itself (a question worthy of its own node - we can at least agree, however, that the receipt is easier to store), etc. The writer here is making a brilliant contrast - whereas the rhinoceros is meant to embody base instinct as a tool for instilling conformity, taxes are an entirely and hugely artificial construction.

*-itis is a suffix meaning "inflammation of the."
**Klasky-Csupo is the production company of Rugrats and several other Nicktoons.

Sources: My own memory, and http://www.rugratonline.com/rrep1993.htm was consulted for some specifics