This write-up is about Goldfinger in general, but the Special Edition DVD in paticular.

Goldfinger - 1964 - Directed by Guy Hamilton
110 Minutes - Rated PG

Special Features

  • New Wide Screen Master
  • Audio Commentary by Guy Hamilton
  • Audio Commentary by Cast and Crew
  • The Making of Goldfinger Documentary
  • The Goldfinger Phenomenon Documentary
  • Behind the Scenes Still Gallery
  • Original Publicity Featurette
  • Sean Connery Radio Interviews
  • Original Theatrical Trailer and Radio and TV Ads
Technical Features The extras on the DVD were great, as they are on all of the Bond special editions. I think it's easier for MGM/UA to add extra features on the Bond films because of the rich history the series has. Both of the documentaries are well done, which helped my understanding of what was going on around the production. Basically, they had a hard time getting things done because of the following the first two movies had by 1964.

As for the film itself, Goldfinger , despite it's popularity with others has never been one of my favorite Bonds. The story is all right, but I found Gert Frobe somewhat lacking as the villain. Besides Frobe's acting, his dialog wasn't the best. For example, when the laser is cutting the table with Connery strapped to it, he says, "Choose you're next witticism wisely Mr. Bond, it may be your last." My problem is, if you're a sick fuck like Goldfinger is supposed to be, wouldn't you say, "..it will be your last."? (In my opinion, if you want the best of the Sean Connery Bonds try Dr. No.) However, the film did leave some great images. To name only two, Bond's Aston Martin DB5 and Shirley Eaton painted gold lying nude on a bed.

I purchased this as part of the first James Bond Gift Pack. I would buy it by itself, but it would not be the first Bond film on my shopping list.

Back to the DVD Review node