This is a simple recipe that's been passed down for countless generations in my native New Mexican family. It's also the best food for flus and colds EVER, due to the natural antibotic effects of garlic and the vitamin C in green chile, not to mention the sinus-clearing effect. Best eaten with a hot stack of home-made flour tortillas.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups green chile, chopped
  • 5 good-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 lb pork steak, cubed
  • 1/4 lb bacon, chopped
  • 4-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp Mexican oregano (add more if your chile is hotter, less if it's mild)
Reserve 2 potatoes. Combine all remaining ingredients in a large pot, add about 2 quarts water. Boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add water if it boils down too much. Boil for about 2 hours, at which point the potatoes should have more or less dissolved. If they're not dissolving, you probably didn't chop them small enough. Fry the remaining potatoes, then add to pot, continue to cook until they're soft enough. Add salt to taste.

Note: as nocodeforparanoia notes, the quality of green chile you can obtain is very important. The best chile in the world comes from Chimayo, New Mexico. Not Hatch. Just trust me on this one.