The following is the description of a major event as depicted in Luo Guan Zhong's epic, Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

In the later years of the second century BCE, the Han Dynasty of China was falling. The empire had grown stagnant and the imperial line weak. The country was virtually ruled by 10 corrupt eunuchs, who held the reins of power.

During this time a great plague spread across the land, killing many. A young Taoist mystic, Zhang Jiao appeared with cures. His influence grew greatly and eventually he led his followers, the Yellow Turbans, in open rebellion against the Han. Many lords of the land began to muster their forces.

One young man by the name of Liu Bei (Liu Pei) heard of the summons for troops. Sighing heavily before one of the notices for volunteers posted in the Cho district of northern China, Liu Bei was interrupted in his reverie by one Zhang Fei (Chang Fei).

When asked why Liu Bei sighed but did nothing, Bei replied that he had little means with which to help. Zhang Fei then offered that the two work together, an offer that Liu Bei was quick to agree to. The two made their way to an inn to drink and discuss the project. There they made the acquaintance of one Guan Yu (Kuan Yu), who stated he meant to go to join the volunteer army. Bei and Fei invited Yu along, and they all headed for Zhang Fei's farm.

Once they had reached the farm, the three discussed the issue. They decided first to swear brotherhood. They decided that the next day they should prepare a sacrifice to be held in Zhang Fei's peach orchard.

As the day arrived, the three men met in the orchard. They brought a black ox, a white horse and wine for libation. Burning incense on the altar, they recited an oath binding the three together in brotherhood. Liu Bei was made the eldest of the brothers; Guan Yu would be middle brother, and Zhang Fei the youngest.

The three then slew other oxen and invited the villagers for a feast. Three hundred attended, three hundred who would become the first force for three men who would change the course of Chinese history.

Associated Writeups:

  1. Liu Bei
  2. Zhang Fei
  3. Guan Yu


Note :: All names in parentheses () are alternate spellings, or in some cases familiar names that are used very often in the novel.


A quick note that won't be here forever. There are several biographies from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel that are MUCH too long. I have thus embarked on a new stage in compiling these at E2. Greatly important events will be split into new nodes to shorten some of the w/u's, also to begin in an undertaking aimed at elimating redundacy. At this point though Liu Bei's biography does not eixst. Look for it soon.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.