The Sonic Screwdriver is the nigh ubiquitous multi-tool of the indefatigable and polysyllabic Doctor, of the long lived BBC program Doctor Who. First appearing in the program in the "Fury of the Deep" episode, this small device has been used to pick locks, repair complex machines, electronic jiggery-pokery and even unscrew things. The original device is a metal cylinder with some odd buttons and at the top there is a round microphone bit, or perhaps an ear examiner. In the new series the sonic screwdriver has been made a bit sleeker, replacing the old cylinder is an even shinier one, with light that glows a nice technological blue.

The device was invented by Victor Pemberton for the above mentioned episode of Doctor Who and he has sadly not been widely credited for the invention as he has vocally complained. In 1982 the sonic screwdriver was written out of Doctor Who by producer John Nathan-Turner in the serial episode "The Visitation." Nathan-Turner removed it from the show because he was afraid that it lent the Doctor with too easy an out in too many plots. Land Mines, Daleks, imprisonment, the imminent destruction of the ship, planet and/or universe; the sonic screwdriver was indispensable in dealing with almost all of the Doctor's problems. And so the sonic screwdriver was confined to the props box until the original show's end in 1989.

It was brought back, slightly re-imagined (it telescoped for one thing), in the 1996 American TV movie of Doctor Who. And it survives in its current incarnation on the current program. Its functionality was also heavily expanded, it can now extort money from an ATM, act as a medical scanner, interface with computers and remotely operate programs on the TARDIS.

Whether or not it is too convenient a plot device is a matter of opinion. But in the opinion of this writer the sonic screwdriver, while a tool for everything, is simply a device for the Doctor to use to interface with the technologies across all of time. While this seems to be boundless utility, it doesn't solve the Doctor's problems. The Doctor needs it to solve problems in many cases, but it is he who solves the problems, not the funny little vibrator he carries with him.

Sonic Screwdriver is an uncommon three mana colorless artifact card from Magic: The Gathering - Doctor Who (WHO) Commander decks and collector booster packs, part of their Universes Beyond crossover products. At the time of this noding, it has been printed in one set, with a total of six variants: a classic version illustrated by Thanh Tuấn, Collector #0184, in the Blast from the Past deck; the Tenth Doctor's version, illustrated by Anthony Devine, Collector #0185, in the Timey-Wimey deck; the Thirteenth Doctor's version, illustrated by Pauline Voss, Collector #0186, in the Paradox Power deck; and then a surge foil copy of each available in random collector booster packs, Collector #0789, #0790, and #0791, respectively. The fourth deck, Masters of Evil, contains a Laser Screwdriver instead.


Release date: 2023-10-13


Sonic Screwdriver allows a player to play it for three generic mana, then activate it for one of four abilities, two of which target, mimicking the multifunctionality of the one(s) in the series. The options are:

  • It can be tapped to add one many of any color.
  • Pay one generic mana and then tap it to untap another target artifact.
  • Pay two generic mana, then tap it to scry one.
  • Pay three generic mana and then tap it to prevent a target creature from being blocked for the turn.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.