Phantasmagoria is an album written by Nobuo Uematsu, who is famous for composing the music for most of the Final Fantasy series. It is his first and only non-game music album, and was released in 1994.

Track list:

1 Rainy Day, Children (4:05)
2 Angel Hands (5:28)
3 Lots of Little... (4:13)
4 Revival of a Tender Experience (5:21)
5 Dogs on the Beach (4:20)
6 Phantasmagoria (5:21)
7 Deep Ocean Blue (5:56)
8 People of Maya (4:50)
9 Mirrors (3:03)
10 Final Fantasy (3:55)
11 (hidden track) (4:02)

Phantasmagoria is/was a PC adventure game released in 1995 by Sierra, spanning seven CDs (thanks for the memory jog unperson).

This was an adventure game similar to the old Monkey Island series but with a horror theme and incorporating live, digitized actors.

The general story goes that you (Adrienne) and your husband have just moved into the classic scary old house with a dark history. While exploring around, you discover a secret room that has been bricked off (wonder why?), and decide that it's a good idea to go in there and open a little ornate box. Thus releasing some nasty spirit that promptly goes off and possesses hubby.

In the next couple of days things start getting weirder and weirder. The husband is starting to act really hostile and other strange things start happening in the house. One really cool bit is when you hear eerie crying noises from the long since unused baby room and the small rocking chair in the room starts to move.

I never got to play a whole lot further than this as I only borrowed the game. But I presume you continue to solve puzzles and evade your possessed husband while trying to get the nasty spirit back in his box and unravel the mystery of the house.

All in all, I thought this was a very good game for its time. I found it quite addictive and entertaining. I remember playing it long into the dark night, wondering what spookiness was creeping up on me next.

Phan*tas`ma*go"ri*a (?), n. [NL., from Gr. a phantasm + an assembly, fr. to gather: cf. F. phantasmagorie.]

1.

An optical effect produced by a magic lantern. The figures are painted in transparent colors, and all the rest of the glass is opaque black. The screen is between the spectators and the instrument, and the figures are often made to appear as in motion, or to merge into one another.

2.

The apparatus by which such an effect is produced.

3.

Fig.: A medley of figures; illusive images.

"This mental phantasmagoria."

Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.