If it's one thing I've learned, it's how to be a friend (or at least I try to
) when somebody needs you
. I needed one today, and everyone I tried to go to didn't quite do it right. Here are my tips:
- Listen. Everything your friend is saying is important. Listen to what they're saying behind the words, underneath the words, the things they're saying but not really saying.
- Don't let them run away. If they say they don't want to talk about it or they just want to go to sleep, don't let them.
- Prod them. Ask them questions. Don't take the short answers, get detail. Be interested.
- Don't be a selfish asshole. They are needing a friend, not you. The conversation should not be 90% you and 10% them. Don't blurt in all your own damn stories.
- Let them know you care. Sometimes the truth can be the most precious thing. It's nice to be told sometimes that someone cares about you and that they are there for you.
All I can think of now. Welcome to add stuff.